Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

It is what it is.

Tomorrow is another (shorter) day, and you're sending the rain this way. 😁

I will hopefully find a way to get it done without imposing on anyone.

Hi everyone,

My gas tank is definitely leaking (overflowing) when I fill it to the top. It also drops to half a tank and then a quarter after about 75 miles of driving. I purchased a new top and lower tank hose and clamps. Also a new gasket and locking ring for the tank hole. I assume the sender is bad also. I haven't got a sender yet , they are pricey.

I need to find a place to drop the tank as I usually do all my work in the street . Any advice on this situation? Is it possible to do this without dropping the tank?

Also my front end is definitely messed up. When I hit a bump , especially on a curve the truck jerks hard from one side to the other. I have replaced the front shocks so far but that is all. The front end is an area I have no experience in on what to look for or test. Its also kind of hard going over bumps , railroad tracks etc.

Thanks !

Josh

Hi everyone,

My gas tank is definitely leaking (overflowing) when I fill it to the top. It also drops to half a tank and then a quarter after about 75 miles of driving. I purchased a new top and lower tank hose and clamps. Also a new gasket and locking ring for the tank hole. I assume the sender is bad also. I haven't got a sender yet , they are pricey.

I need to find a place to drop the tank as I usually do all my work in the street . Any advice on this situation? Is it possible to do this without dropping the tank?

Also my front end is definitely messed up. When I hit a bump , especially on a curve the truck jerks hard from one side to the other. I have replaced the front shocks so far but that is all. The front end is an area I have no experience in on what to look for or test. Its also kind of hard going over bumps , railroad tracks etc.

Thanks !

Josh

Midship or aft tank?

Have you tried a mirror or endoscope camera to see what's going on?

Could be the return line or the rollover valve grommet.

Dropping a tank in the street is not easy or inconspicuous.

Maybe the back corner of a commuter lot of industrial area?

(I've got no idea what it's like where you live)

Midship or aft tank?Have you tried a mirror or endoscope camera to see what's going on?Could be the return line or the rollover valve grommet.Dropping a tank in the street is not easy or inconspicuous.Maybe the back corner of a commuter lot of industrial area?(I've got no idea what it's like where you live)
Hi Jim, it’s a midship tank. Good idea on the mirror. I will give that a try. 

I live in a small, old town. People are nice when they see me working on the truck but dropping the gas tank might be another issue.  

I will prob have to look at renting a garage for the day or something like that.  I was thinking I could get it on a jack and just lower it to check it out .  I will see if I can get a better look today.

Once I fill it to the top it pours down like a shower .

Thanks !

On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 6:57 PM ArdWrknTrk [via Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

On the trucks I've worked on the midship tank is pretty easy to see the top of by lowering it a bit using the long bolts that support it. There's usually plenty of room to sit up under the truck and get your head up above the tank just enough to see what is going on after lowering the tank.

On the trucks I've worked on the midship tank is pretty easy to see the top of by lowering it a bit using the long bolts that support it. There's usually plenty of room to sit up under the truck and get your head up above the tank just enough to see what is going on after lowering the tank.
Thanks Gary, hopefully I will get a chance to look at it today. I guess if I drop it I may as well get a new sender as well. 

On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 8:43 AM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

I've been able to get a good look at the top of my side tank just by taking a video with my phone.

I can't do that in the rear because of how it's boxed in by my receiver hitch and the crossmember.

One slick trick if you have an iPhone and an Apple watch is to fire up the camera app on the watch, which let's you see whatever the phone's camera is looking at. And you can easily take a pic or video from the watch. I've used that several times to see what can't be seen.

One slick trick if you have an iPhone and an Apple watch is to fire up the camera app on the watch, which let's you see whatever the phone's camera is looking at. And you can easily take a pic or video from the watch. I've used that several times to see what can't be seen.
Wow, that’s hi tech! I just saw a long endoscope type camera for a phone on sale . I almost bought it but couldn’t think of a reason .   Might be a fun way to explore all the nooks and crannies 

On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 9:28 AM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum] <redacted_email_address> wrote: