Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

First , where are you getting power for the choke?

Second, if you came back in the morning and adjusted the choke to 1/4" open (or whatever works for you) where is it when the engine starts?

What I'm getting at is vacuum pull-off.

Many carbs have it. Some carbs don't.

But you're making progress, and progress is good! :nabble_smiley_good:

Josh - Been there, done that on Lyme disease. Fortunately my wife found a picture of my leg on the internet and persuaded me to go to the doctor. (No, it wasn't my leg, but it was exactly like the swelling on my leg.) So we caught it early and I had few problems. But I'm sorry for your problems.

On the choke, you said "I checked the next morning and the flap was straight up and down". That suggests that you had always-on power to the choke. If so, that's not going to work. Or did I misunderstand?

Josh - Been there, done that on Lyme disease. Fortunately my wife found a picture of my leg on the internet and persuaded me to go to the doctor. (No, it wasn't my leg, but it was exactly like the swelling on my leg.) So we caught it early and I had few problems. But I'm sorry for your problems.

On the choke, you said "I checked the next morning and the flap was straight up and down". That suggests that you had always-on power to the choke. If so, that's not going to work. Or did I misunderstand?

Thanks Gary, a month of antibiotics and I should be good to go I hope. Never saw the tick or a rash.

Hmmm, that would make sense on the choke. I swear I checked that wire at least 3x with key on/off with my test light. I will check it again tomorrow morning and report back. I am assuming it will be hot if I do.

Thanks Gary, a month of antibiotics and I should be good to go I hope. Never saw the tick or a rash.

Hmmm, that would make sense on the choke. I swear I checked that wire at least 3x with key on/off with my test light. I will check it again tomorrow morning and report back. I am assuming it will be hot if I do.

I never saw the tick, either. But I had the rash. However, it wasn't round like I thought it was supposed to be. But a month of antibiotics fixed me up as well.

I never saw the tick, either. But I had the rash. However, it wasn't round like I thought it was supposed to be. But a month of antibiotics fixed me up as well.

Been there done that. Sometimes it comes back and rears it’s ugly head. Tick illnesses are no fun. No rash for me but it can make you feel pretty rough.

Been there done that. Sometimes it comes back and rears it’s ugly head. Tick illnesses are no fun. No rash for me but it can make you feel pretty rough.

It sure can make you feel terrible.

Could be worse.

Checked my choke and it was straight up today. Choke housing was cold so I don’t think it has a constant on issue.

It does not snap closed when I open the throttle either.

I closed it with my finger so there was about a 3/8 inch gap and it started right up but was rough and smoking like it is too rich. I opened it up about halfway and it smoothed out and idles nicely.

I readjusted and will check tomorrow. I may install the rebuilt YFA I got on eBay and see what that does.

It sure can make you feel terrible.

Could be worse.

Checked my choke and it was straight up today. Choke housing was cold so I don’t think it has a constant on issue.

It does not snap closed when I open the throttle either.

I closed it with my finger so there was about a 3/8 inch gap and it started right up but was rough and smoking like it is too rich. I opened it up about halfway and it smoothed out and idles nicely.

I readjusted and will check tomorrow. I may install the rebuilt YFA I got on eBay and see what that does.

A month of Cipro and it's going to take a while to get back to normal.

I'm glad you're feeling better Josh!

Something is definitely dragging with your choke.

It should close right away when you open the throttle all the way.

Having it fully open in the morning doesn't seem strange, because it would have been open when parked at operating temperature.

Having it fully open in the morning doesn't seem strange, because it would have been open when parked at operating temperature.

Ahhh. That is true . I must be losing my marbles over such a simple thing. I am going to take the choke cap off, bring it inside and attach it to this YFA carb I have so I have better eyes on it then where it sits on the engine.

Otherwise it’s great to be driving an old truck again. I was a tile and marble contractor for about 10 years in the early 80’s . If it would start I would drive it anywhere.

I guess with some age I like things to be more the way they should be.

Good point, Jim. If the choke is dragging then it won't close.

Ahhh. That is true . I must be losing my marbles over such a simple thing. I am going to take the choke cap off, bring it inside and attach it to this YFA carb I have so I have better eyes on it then where it sits on the engine.

Otherwise it’s great to be driving an old truck again. I was a tile and marble contractor for about 10 years in the early 80’s . If it would start I would drive it anywhere.

I guess with some age I like things to be more the way they should be.

Do you have a choke cap that's wound the right direction for a YF?

I remember when trying to get my AVS correctly set up that there was some difference between the Holley/Motorcraft style and those for the one barrel Carter's.

Do you have a choke cap that's wound the right direction for a YF?

I remember when trying to get my AVS correctly set up that there was some difference between the Holley/Motorcraft style and those for the one barrel Carter's.

I have stared it for what seems like hours. It sure looks like when it contracts it closes the plate and expands it opens the plate. The direction from Mike's Carbs say the plate should follow the direction you turn the cap which is what happens.