Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

I think your truck looks great!

Always been partial to that colour combo. :nabble_smiley_cool:

I'm currently in the midst of tearing down my 1984 460. Aside from some crud hiding where the heads meet the block and a little rust buildup at the bottom of the intake manifold, I've found what seems to be a very clean motor. There's basically no corrosion inside with exception to the coolant passages and even that is minor. The driver's side bores are all at 4.360, stock bore for a 460. The pistons have normal carbon, nothing extreme, and no visible damage. The cylinder walls are clean, with cross-hatching still visible. Underneath the head, all of the intake and exhaust valves mirror each other, no signs of burnt valves or any other issues. Head gasket has no breaks, and probably original. No bent pushrods, or any other damage. From what I can see of the camshaft, it looks okay as well. All in all I'd probably feel safe to say this engine has around 170,000 miles on it. It looks very similar to what I've seen from doing all of the gaskets in my 2003 Ranger at 180,000 miles. I still have to tear down the passenger side, pull the camshaft, and pull the crank to study the bearings, but so far I like what I've seen. :nabble_smiley_good:

Same!

I'm currently in the midst of tearing down my 1984 460. Aside from some crud hiding where the heads meet the block and a little rust buildup at the bottom of the intake manifold, I've found what seems to be a very clean motor. There's basically no corrosion inside with exception to the coolant passages and even that is minor. The driver's side bores are all at 4.360, stock bore for a 460. The pistons have normal carbon, nothing extreme, and no visible damage. The cylinder walls are clean, with cross-hatching still visible. Underneath the head, all of the intake and exhaust valves mirror each other, no signs of burnt valves or any other issues. Head gasket has no breaks, and probably original. No bent pushrods, or any other damage. From what I can see of the camshaft, it looks okay as well. All in all I'd probably feel safe to say this engine has around 170,000 miles on it. It looks very similar to what I've seen from doing all of the gaskets in my 2003 Ranger at 180,000 miles. I still have to tear down the passenger side, pull the camshaft, and pull the crank to study the bearings, but so far I like what I've seen. :nabble_smiley_good:

Same!

Shaun - Glad the engine looks good. Remind me of your plans for it?

Shaun - Glad the engine looks good. Remind me of your plans for it?

Well right now it's gonna be headed to the machine shop. I found a scratch in the #1 cylinder wall that will need to be addressed. The piston took a nick as well. Not sure what was in that cylinder but it must have ejected pretty quickly as it only left those two marks and there was no sign of it in the cylinder when I pulled the head. I was thinking a piece of the valve, seat, or maybe a part of piston skirt or a piston ring, but I see nothing of the sort. Head gasket was intact as well so I know it wasn't a piece of that.

Everything else looks great, which sucks because if it wasn't for that scratch, the block may have just needed to be cleaned up with a light hone. All the cross-hatching is still visible in all of the cylinders.

I'm hoping that a hone or maybe a .010 overbore will fix the issue in #1, but it may take more than that as my fingernail catches on it. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Well right now it's gonna be headed to the machine shop. I found a scratch in the #1 cylinder wall that will need to be addressed. The piston took a nick as well. Not sure what was in that cylinder but it must have ejected pretty quickly as it only left those two marks and there was no sign of it in the cylinder when I pulled the head. I was thinking a piece of the valve, seat, or maybe a part of piston skirt or a piston ring, but I see nothing of the sort. Head gasket was intact as well so I know it wasn't a piece of that.

Everything else looks great, which sucks because if it wasn't for that scratch, the block may have just needed to be cleaned up with a light hone. All the cross-hatching is still visible in all of the cylinders.

I'm hoping that a hone or maybe a .010 overbore will fix the issue in #1, but it may take more than that as my fingernail catches on it. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Bummer! Sorry to see that. Wonder what it was that caused the damage? Had to have been hard to have scratched the block. But it'll clean up with a bore job, although it may take more that .010" to do it.

Good luck!

Bummer! Sorry to see that. Wonder what it was that caused the damage? Had to have been hard to have scratched the block. But it'll clean up with a bore job, although it may take more that .010" to do it.

Good luck!

I haven't stripped the valves from the head, but I don't see any damage on either valve on the bottom end so will have to wait until I pull the valves to inspect for damage on the top end and in the ports although I don't expect to find much of anything.

I haven't stripped the valves from the head, but I don't see any damage on either valve on the bottom end so will have to wait until I pull the valves to inspect for damage on the top end and in the ports although I don't expect to find much of anything.

Not To but With. In prep for lambing season, needed to move some feeders/troughs around so put Chanute to use.

IMG_20201107_162345.jpg.e021df844ed80d0fdc232011a770a01b.jpg

Not To but With. In prep for lambing season, needed to move some feeders/troughs around so put Chanute to use.

You use Chanute the same way I plan to use my F350. :nabble_smiley_good:

That would be ewe's-ing the push bumper to move some flock around.

I'm always wanting to see what this work truck is doing. :nabble_smiley_cool: