Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Looking forward to seeing this! You painting that under that carport in open weather? What's your location? In Oklahoma here and too cold to paint.

Aiken county SC, hope to have warm enough tomorrow. Done a few outside jobs long time ago, my painting skills are not too good, just getting by, I'm from the Dulux, Centary days, if that tells you how long since I've done any serious painting, just a hobby (sorta) messing with old cars,trucks. Love them old trucks.

Gary, that is a 61 E100 pickup, first year for Econoline...technically, it's a Falcon as per a Ford service person that knows.

blue.jpg.f36aa17afbd98536a77d874586181dd5.jpg

Bill, An old Ford drivin an old Ford.

Bob - I fully understand about carrying those rotors. Big Blue's are probably about the same - HEAVY!

Bill - Looking excellent! Hope you get the second color on tomorrow. :nabble_smiley_good:

And in the background, that's one of the vans with the midship engine?

Which is why I wanted those rotor/hub assemblies for "free shipping" (don't post it if you don't mean it.)

My buddy had a '68 (?) van like that.

3 on the tree, I-6 with what was essentially a TV table between the front seats.

Bill, yours looks in much better shape. And that was 37 years ago. 😲

Which is why I wanted those rotor/hub assemblies for "free shipping" (don't post it if you don't mean it.)

My buddy had a '68 (?) van like that.

3 on the tree, I-6 with what was essentially a TV table between the front seats.

Bill, yours looks in much better shape. And that was 37 years ago. 😲

Looks like Tues,Wed before the weather gets ok to finish, too windy to even finish taping. Really don't like leaving tape on that long but....whacha gonna do? Got about an hour prep and spot prime to do, then spray.

What is this plate? Is it a skid plate, or frame reinforcement?

faze_2.jpg.16b356d27e06d0bd89b81569b86bb5e1.jpg

Looks like Tues,Wed before the weather gets ok to finish, too windy to even finish taping. Really don't like leaving tape on that long but....whacha gonna do? Got about an hour prep and spot prime to do, then spray.

That's what the sway bar mounts to on 1/2 ton trucks.

At one time I had a whole folder of photos showing the various styles of these I've come across. As Shaun said, in some situations the front sway bar attaches to them on 1/2 tons if both are present. If it isn't present but the sway bar is, the brackets are further outward, attaching to the frame. I find it neat that these sways bars sometimes go up and into the bumper cavity. Seems like those were on diesels though which makes sense due to the lower dipping core support (not talking 1/2 tons though).

Some trucks have one like yours with no sway bar so I assume they are purely doing skid plate duty. I have an 81 1/2 ton 2wd like this.

Am out pulling an overdrive from a parts truck right now so snapped a couple photos of a 1/2 ton 4wd sway bar that has a crossmember like yours. Again, it may not match yours exactly due to the variations (Ford and aftermarket?) that are out there.

IMG_20201031_141416.jpg.6d80da45875a516c60eb5a3967ab4cb6.jpg

IMG_20201031_141442.jpg.41ae9840cf282cbfd6200eb7b2d3596e.jpg

IMG_20201031_141535.thumb.jpg.fa76809d9e2f37784be17240c443310b.jpg

That's what the sway bar mounts to on 1/2 ton trucks.

It does also "re-enforces" that area of the frame though I don't believe it's detrimental to be missing. I don't believe the vans had them. Also, yours is bent. I replaced the one on my truck because somebody put a chain there to pull the truck with.

It does also "re-enforces" that area of the frame though I don't believe it's detrimental to be missing. I don't believe the vans had them. Also, yours is bent. I replaced the one on my truck because somebody put a chain there to pull the truck with.

Yes, I saw where it was bent, looks like someone backed over a stump or something, maybe hooked a chain there as you said. Biggest problem with restoring/refurbishing an old vehicle is when you remove something to freshen/fix it.....9 out of 10 times, there is something under it that needs fixing.

Oh well on to the next fix it or replace it saga.

All is good here. Bad brake adjuster

All is good here. Bad brake adjuster

Many of those crossmembers are bent as they look like a good place to hook a chain - but aren't. They'll bend almost for sure.

George - Glad it isn't anything more serious.

As for what I did with, not to, my truck today, I drove it 160 miles. And it made it on one 16 gallon tank of gas with some left over. Things are looking up! :nabble_smiley_evil: