Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

It's very satisfying to watch the last one jump into place and know that that part is over.

When I had my transfer case apart in July and had to remove a bunch of really tight snap rings to get back at the sloppy selector quadrant I thought I was going to cry.

I hope the rest goes smoother! :nabble_smiley_cool:

Where I work we make little clutches, many of which are held together with a snap ring. Obviously we are required to wear safety glasses in the tool room, or on the Production floor. But I joke (although it's completely true) that the only times I've ever had anything hit my safety glasses at work is when I'm working on a lathe or mill, or when the guy across the desk from me is trying to install a snap ring!

Where I work we make little clutches, many of which are held together with a snap ring. Obviously we are required to wear safety glasses in the tool room, or on the Production floor. But I joke (although it's completely true) that the only times I've ever had anything hit my safety glasses at work is when I'm working on a lathe or mill, or when the guy across the desk from me is trying to install a snap ring!

Got the passenger's side U-joint in today. No issues this time. I did clean up all 4 snap ring grooves with the little screwdriver first, then the Dremel cutoff wheel. And all 4 retaining rings seated easily, and they all remained seated when I whacked the yokes to free up the joints.

Next step, getting the old rotors/hubs apart and putting the new rotors on the hubs. That'll probably be on Friday.

Got the passenger's side U-joint in today. No issues this time. I did clean up all 4 snap ring grooves with the little screwdriver first, then the Dremel cutoff wheel. And all 4 retaining rings seated easily, and they all remained seated when I whacked the yokes to free up the joints.

Next step, getting the old rotors/hubs apart and putting the new rotors on the hubs. That'll probably be on Friday.

The arbor press should be real handy getting the studs out and into your new rotors.

I end up on the floor with a big hammer and an old lug nut.

Progress! Little steps and eventually it all comes together. (I keep telling myself that, so might as well pass it on. :nabble_smiley_wink:)

I did it that way last time, but yes, the arbor press will be much nicer. And if that doesn't work there's always the 25 ton hydraulic press!

Last time I found a screaming deal on rotor/hub assemblies and just bought the whole thing x2, with the studs already in.

Perhaps that eBay seller hadn't ever priced out their inventory, because they didn't want to honor the sale nor provide *free shipping* when I closed the transaction.

Same thing when I recently bought a bumper to replace the brand new one a woman backed into in June.

But that seller told eBay they had no inventory, and voided the sale.

Obviously got away with not honoring their $225 price because they listed the same part number at $379 the next day.

I did it that way last time, but yes, the arbor press will be much nicer. And if that doesn't work there's always the 25 ton hydraulic press!

Progress. The new rotors are on the hubs. The only challenging thing using the arbor press was getting it propped up to press the studs back in. When the assembly is sitting on the rotor to push the studs out it's stable. But when you flip it over to press them back in they are hanging out past the hub so it wants to tip over. I had to scrounge up some scrap metal to prop it up.

Otherwise the challenge was schlepping the heavy 1 ton hub/rotor assemblies from my garage to the Bronco and then to the shop at work. And back. Well they're in the back of the Bronco now. Hopefully it'll all go back together smoothly this weekend.

Progress. The new rotors are on the hubs. The only challenging thing using the arbor press was getting it propped up to press the studs back in. When the assembly is sitting on the rotor to push the studs out it's stable. But when you flip it over to press them back in they are hanging out past the hub so it wants to tip over. I had to scrounge up some scrap metal to prop it up.

Otherwise the challenge was schlepping the heavy 1 ton hub/rotor assemblies from my garage to the Bronco and then to the shop at work. And back. Well they're in the back of the Bronco now. Hopefully it'll all go back together smoothly this weekend.

Faze one, got the light color done.

faze_1.jpg.28430d2df530ef9c84253c8cbc3e3283.jpg

r_d_side.jpg.bfc7584091bf023d591f28a62d68937e.jpg

Faze 2 almost got the brown ready to spray...Saturday if the weather will let me.

BTW..Check out what's parked behind Mr Brown.

faze_2.jpg.e544896e4c28774ceb776cdb56aaed85.jpg

Faze 2 almost got the brown ready to spray...Saturday if the weather will let me.

Looking forward to seeing this! You painting that under that carport in open weather? What's your location? In Oklahoma here and too cold to paint.

Bob - I fully understand about carrying those rotors. Big Blue's are probably about the same - HEAVY!

Bill - Looking excellent! Hope you get the second color on tomorrow. :nabble_smiley_good:

And in the background, that's one of the vans with the midship engine?