Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Maybe we can get Bill to do a dissection and show the failure point(s)?

Kinda like when I cut the heater core in half on FTE to prove to the local experts there was no in and out.

I wouldn't want to cut up a good one. There is a thread on FTE on the repeated failure of that heat exchanger. The problem seems to be corrosion inside the "box" allowing oil and coolant to mix. This usually shows up as a mystery oil leak and occasional murky oil. Bigger issue is the oil gets into the cooling system.

I did a fairly comprehensive article with pictures on there showing (a) how it fits (b) the different water pump inlet fitting size © how the oil flows in it and (d) a solution to eliminate it.

The issue that really complicates everything is the need to get a filter on the engine without chopping a huge hole in the crossmember, which on a 2WD model is the attachment point for the twin I-beam pivots.

The pre-EFI models simply used an adapter to rotate the filter forward and down, and if you look at the adapter there are very obvious areas of the casting that are unused, it is nothing more than an SCJ/police oil cooler adapter with the bypass valve and hose fitting portions unfinished. When the EFI engine came out, and as an option on the older models Ford simply installed the complete adapter and until mid 1990 an oil to air cooler in front on the driver's side.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wouldn't want to cut up a good one. There is a thread on FTE on the repeated failure of that heat exchanger. The problem seems to be corrosion inside the "box" allowing oil and coolant to mix. This usually shows up as a mystery oil leak and occasional murky oil. Bigger issue is the oil gets into the cooling system.

I did a fairly comprehensive article with pictures on there showing (a) how it fits (b) the different water pump inlet fitting size © how the oil flows in it and (d) a solution to eliminate it.

The issue that really complicates everything is the need to get a filter on the engine without chopping a huge hole in the crossmember, which on a 2WD model is the attachment point for the twin I-beam pivots.

The pre-EFI models simply used an adapter to rotate the filter forward and down, and if you look at the adapter there are very obvious areas of the casting that are unused, it is nothing more than an SCJ/police oil cooler adapter with the bypass valve and hose fitting portions unfinished. When the EFI engine came out, and as an option on the older models Ford simply installed the complete adapter and until mid 1990 an oil to air cooler in front on the driver's side.

You are implying there are “good ones”. From what I’ve read there are just ones that haven’t proven to be bad - yet. 😈

Seriously though, the idea of an oil/water exchanger isnt a bad one. The Subie we have has exactly that as part of the cold-weather package and it helps warm the engine oil in the winter to boil off condensation. My guess is that there is some electrolysis going on with dissimilar metals that causes the problem when people don’t change their coolant regularly.

So, did Ford decide in 1990 that the oil/air cooler wasn’t adequate? Or why did they change?

You are implying there are “good ones”. From what I’ve read there are just ones that haven’t proven to be bad - yet. 😈

Seriously though, the idea of an oil/water exchanger isnt a bad one. The Subie we have has exactly that as part of the cold-weather package and it helps warm the engine oil in the winter to boil off condensation. My guess is that there is some electrolysis going on with dissimilar metals that causes the problem when people don’t change their coolant regularly.

So, did Ford decide in 1990 that the oil/air cooler wasn’t adequate? Or why did they change?

Most likely $$$$$ the oil to water is installed on the engine/transmission assembly and as a result drops on the frame as a unit, the older oil to air one required two hoses be connected, additional parts on the core support and probably cost more for the parts in addition to being more to deal with on the assembly line. I may also have been related to the change from an external high pressure pump to in-tank high pressure pumps and the resulting redesign of the fuel rail and connections.

Most likely $$$$$ the oil to water is installed on the engine/transmission assembly and as a result drops on the frame as a unit, the older oil to air one required two hoses be connected, additional parts on the core support and probably cost more for the parts in addition to being more to deal with on the assembly line. I may also have been related to the change from an external high pressure pump to in-tank high pressure pumps and the resulting redesign of the fuel rail and connections.

Good points. I'll bet $'s had a lot to do with it.

By the way, I have this hardware from Jim and the huck:

• Two of the 2" x 7/16" thick washers

• One of the C-shaped spacers, but probably more if I dig

• Four of the 3" x 1/8" washers

• Four of the washer w/the cross cut in them

Will that be enough? If not, what else do you need? I should have it and you won't have to ship anything.

DSCN0512.thumb.jpg.95e9678368d165947175e9953ee96843.jpg

Good points. I'll bet $'s had a lot to do with it.

By the way, I have this hardware from Jim and the huck:

• Two of the 2" x 7/16" thick washers

• One of the C-shaped spacers, but probably more if I dig

• Four of the 3" x 1/8" washers

• Four of the washer w/the cross cut in them

Will that be enough? If not, what else do you need? I should have it and you won't have to ship anything.

After three jobs I finally got the reverse lights wired.

Helps to have the right crimper.

IMG_20171119_142000.jpg.df0436b2814bd7187fa72a6e9fda0e4f.jpg

Helps to bullet the right wire when LED's are polarity sensitive.

IMG_20171119_142114.thumb.jpg.0752a90550aec02cd7a037203c0ad58e.jpg

Finding the right wire.

IMG_20171119_141612.thumb.jpg.954ee41147052f21995b88c1ff01f697.jpg

Packing the Posi-tap full of dielectric grease

IMG_20171119_141604.thumb.jpg.05cc7c5aee4b9dfedd191b6f738766e5.jpg

And.....

IMG_20171119_141948.jpg.872328c5c2febaf370bc2f60a516d1f7.jpg

IMG_20171119_141927.jpg.c234b8396ddddb68c8fde51ddbf26787.jpg

After three jobs I finally got the reverse lights wired.

Helps to have the right crimper.

Helps to bullet the right wire when LED's are polarity sensitive.

Finding the right wire.

Packing the Posi-tap full of dielectric grease

And.....

Then I set to packing for my little road trip.

IMG_20171119_144557.jpg.fc16c59b4cfee716cc664f56af48855c.jpg

It was REALLY windy and Bill's AC box took a little tumble out of the bed before I could get it tied down.

IMG_20171119_144748.thumb.jpg.a441742bbe5fcfad6b22fc16df43873e.jpg

I think the corner is cracked, but I hope it's ok.

And now I have to go pack a bag because I'm all loaded up.

IMG_20171119_152514.jpg.418a44d9359079c677b28cb60281dec1.jpg

Then I set to packing for my little road trip.

It was REALLY windy and Bill's AC box took a little tumble out of the bed before I could get it tied down.

I think the corner is cracked, but I hope it's ok.

And now I have to go pack a bag because I'm all loaded up.

I hope you have safe travels and a fun visit - with Bill as well as your sister. Looks like you are all set. :nabble_smiley_good:

My best friend put an aircraft landing light on the back of his 1975 E250 and damn that was bright!

See you tomorrow in Seaford DE.

I can't imagine!

I had a studio in the bad section back in the day.

After the first burglary I went shopping at the surplus store. :nabble_smiley_uh:

Between the runway approach strobe that you could feel from 40' away and the air raid warning siren that would make your ears bleed in an enclosed space I never had another problem after once coming back to everyone in the building out on the street.