Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Jim - I took the liberty of making your pics a bit lighter so I could see the old shaft. And now I'm trying to remember exactly what the plan is. IIRC, the lower universal for the new shaft doesn't fit the steering box so you are cutting it off and installing the rag joint. Right?

The instrument cluster is ready to go back in and the dash will be complete. On to the door's next.

20200909_115939.jpg.c7095b54f20a659fa3b5b87860891bfe.jpg

Jim - I took the liberty of making your pics a bit lighter so I could see the old shaft. And now I'm trying to remember exactly what the plan is. IIRC, the lower universal for the new shaft doesn't fit the steering box so you are cutting it off and installing the rag joint. Right?

Sorry about the exposure.

The benchtop is pretty shiny 😎

Yes, I cut the pinch clamp off the lower universal and used a die grinder to open up the hole.

I now have to figure how to weld the spline clamp you sent onto the remaining nub, while not deforming the yoke and not cooking the staked in universals.

AND, getting it in a line with the upper universal so the steering wheel stays straight.

The upper joint in my shaft is incredibly sloppy.

It's no wonder I'm often overcorrecting.

But that should be no issue when I weld the through bolt sleeve to the top.

At least ill have more room to keep the joint cool, and don't have to worry about clamping force distorting the yoke.

If you have the door open again to paint the panels, check the drains are open in the bottom and perhaps spray some oil in there so it wicks into the pinch weld and protects from rust through.

I got my new to me argent wagon wheels installed today and I also replaced the "P" bolt for my under bed spare tire carrier. I coated the threads of the bolt with anti-seize to avoid any corrosion problems in the future. I also replaced some degraded vacuum lines on my air cleaner.

Truck_show_008.jpg.3440734bea3cc59d32afac131343f9eb.jpg

I got my new to me argent wagon wheels installed today and I also replaced the "P" bolt for my under bed spare tire carrier. I coated the threads of the bolt with anti-seize to avoid any corrosion problems in the future. I also replaced some degraded vacuum lines on my air cleaner.

Those wheels look really nice on your truck Frank! :nabble_smiley_good:

I like these period touches.

Those wheels look really nice on your truck Frank! :nabble_smiley_good:

I like these period touches.

My ignition switch is stiff when cold and the speedometer sounds horrible at slow speeds.

Decided to try to remedy those today. Pulled the dash only to remember there is no easy access to the back of the instrument panel. Oh well, I’ll leave it off.

Pulled the speedo cable off from below, all right, perhaps I can shoot some lube up there later.

Pulled the sleeve on the column to get better access to the ignition switch. Shot some lube in there, hoping it helps. Putting the sleeve back on being careful with the shift indicator cable. Got everything together and started trying things for proper function. Annnnd the shift indicator cable snaps.

Had a NOS in my cabinet. (Thanks David). Pulled the instrument panel and really had access to lube the speedo at the panel which is where I suspected the noise was coming from.

Got everything back together and on the test drive it sounded like a new truck!

Next l need to quiet down the steering wheel. Sounds like the electrical ring.

And find another NOS shift indicator cable, that doesn’t break the bank.

My ignition switch is stiff when cold and the speedometer sounds horrible at slow speeds.

Decided to try to remedy those today. Pulled the dash only to remember there is no easy access to the back of the instrument panel. Oh well, I’ll leave it off.

Pulled the speedo cable off from below, all right, perhaps I can shoot some lube up there later.

Pulled the sleeve on the column to get better access to the ignition switch. Shot some lube in there, hoping it helps. Putting the sleeve back on being careful with the shift indicator cable. Got everything together and started trying things for proper function. Annnnd the shift indicator cable snaps.

Had a NOS in my cabinet. (Thanks David). Pulled the instrument panel and really had access to lube the speedo at the panel which is where I suspected the noise was coming from.

Got everything back together and on the test drive it sounded like a new truck!

Next l need to quiet down the steering wheel. Sounds like the electrical ring.

And find another NOS shift indicator cable, that doesn’t break the bank.

I bet it's nice to get rid of those squeaks Dane! :nabble_smiley_good:

Given what I've found in my steering column today I wouldn't be surprised if I need some bearings.

But first, I need to get this lower slip shaft reinstalled.