Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

You still have to lift the carrier (with the spare!) Up enough to slip the P-bolt out of the slot.

How do you do that without the jack that's holding the truck up???....

I use the jack to lift the carrier so I can get the P-bolt out. I just do that before the truck is jacked up. I'd do it that way even if I didn't need to use the jack to get the spare out. I don't want to be laying under a truck, horsing it around, while it's up on a jack.

And for what it's worth, I lift the carrier before I start to loosen the P-bolt. That takes tension and friction off the P-bolt so it turns a lot easier. Combining that with generous use of anti-seize and I can often turn the P-bolt by hand after backing it out a couple of turns with the lug wrench.

You make a good point about keeping that bolt greased!

I've never had any trouble un-screwing the P-bolt when I hold the weight off the spare.

The whole point of the tire iron socket is so you don't have to put yourself under the truck to get the spare down.

Many people say how easy the Chevy "winch" is, but if that thing's jammed up on the side of the road (and you don't know what to do) you are screwed.

It is a simple piece of 3/4 black pipe stuck in a stock gate hinge, welded to the end of the carrier.

I will get some better shots when it isn't hanging from the rafters.

Replaced light switch last night and attempted speedo cable but stinking clip thwarted my efforts. As such, did not meet my evening goals and went to bed depressed.....LOL!

I've never had any trouble un-screwing the P-bolt when I hold the weight off the spare.

The whole point of the tire iron socket is so you don't have to put yourself under the truck to get the spare down.

Many people say how easy the Chevy "winch" is, but if that thing's jammed up on the side of the road (and you don't know what to do) you are screwed.

I don't think I have to get under any farther to put the jack in and do it that way than I would if I was using the lug wrench in the socket. The problem is that there just ain't no good way to get a tire in and out of there. And as you point out, the winch systems aren't without their issues either.

I don't think I have to get under any farther to put the jack in and do it that way than I would if I was using the lug wrench in the socket. The problem is that there just ain't no good way to get a tire in and out of there. And as you point out, the winch systems aren't without their issues either.

Keeping that Y shaped retainer nut for the spare greased is important too.

(Or use the later plastic cone)

I replaced that central bolt with stainless to avoid that prime corrosion spot.

I actually don't use the center bolt. Not having the bolt makes it easier to get the tire of and on the carrier. It does make it harder to keep the tire on the carrier as you are lifting it up (and obviously means you can't use the retainer nut). But once the carrier is up tight against the frame (or tank or whatever) the tire doesn't go anywhere. And in my book making it easier to get the tire off the carrier when I'm on the side of the road more than makes up for making it harder to keep the tire on the carrier while lifting it into position in my driveway. YMMV

With a dually you have to use the cone, it goes base down and lines the tire up as you tighten it. I cheated, I put two bolts and nuts through my support and the wheel goes dish down so the tire is against the tank. once it is wrestled on it will stay while I raise the carrier back up. I too throw the flat or blowout (last failure I had) in the bed.

I don't have a bottle jack, but my OEM 1986 screw jack works quite well I lubed the thing thoroughly when I first got Darth and still will take it out and exercise (or should it be exorcise) it and lube it periodically.

On the winch, Chrysler uses them on their minivans, when I first met Mary she had a 1997 Caravan and the winch was jammed and broken, spare was under there, just couldn't get it down.

I actually don't use the center bolt. Not having the bolt makes it easier to get the tire of and on the carrier. It does make it harder to keep the tire on the carrier as you are lifting it up (and obviously means you can't use the retainer nut). But once the carrier is up tight against the frame (or tank or whatever) the tire doesn't go anywhere. And in my book making it easier to get the tire off the carrier when I'm on the side of the road more than makes up for making it harder to keep the tire on the carrier while lifting it into position in my driveway. YMMV

I hadn't considered that.

With the plates for my hitch boxing it in it certainly isn't getting out.

With a dually you have to use the cone, it goes base down and lines the tire up as you tighten it. I cheated, I put two bolts and nuts through my support and the wheel goes dish down so the tire is against the tank. once it is wrestled on it will stay while I raise the carrier back up. I too throw the flat or blowout (last failure I had) in the bed.

I don't have a bottle jack, but my OEM 1986 screw jack works quite well I lubed the thing thoroughly when I first got Darth and still will take it out and exercise (or should it be exorcise) it and lube it periodically.

On the winch, Chrysler uses them on their minivans, when I first met Mary she had a 1997 Caravan and the winch was jammed and broken, spare was under there, just couldn't get it down.

Bill, the problem with my stock screw jack is that it isn't tall enough to get an inflated 235/85 R16 back on the studs.

I keep a 2 3/4" thick chunk of mahogany in the bed to use as a pad under it.

But is IS tall enough to get a flat off.

AMHIK! 😠

Bill, the problem with my stock screw jack is that it isn't tall enough to get an inflated 235/85 R16 back on the studs.

I keep a 2 3/4" thick chunk of mahogany in the bed to use as a pad under it.

But is IS tall enough to get a flat off.

AMHIK! 😠

Mine will lift the front or rear far enough to get the 215/85R-16 tyres on with only the normal fight to get everything lined up.