Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

I know that feeling! :nabble_smiley_good:

Edited some pics into my post.

I will get another coat on tomorrow.

I will also pull those stumps, so I can put the spare back.

Maybe I will find time to make some baseline settings on my stereo.

(But that is for the cab upgrades thread)

Fog and drizzle this morning.

Not a good time for paint to dry.

It looks as if the rain should move through, but we have the whole width of PA & OH to go...

Will see what this afternoon brings.

Fog and drizzle this morning.

Not a good time for paint to dry.

It looks as if the rain should move through, but we have the whole width of PA & OH to go...

Will see what this afternoon brings.

It seams like everytime i want to get started on the touch up paint it always seams to rain around here. But like they say, if you dont like the weather in southeast Louisiana, just wait 5 minutes

It seams like everytime i want to get started on the touch up paint it always seams to rain around here. But like they say, if you dont like the weather in southeast Louisiana, just wait 5 minutes

It's just the undercarriage, but I don't want a sticky mess that takes forever to dry.

I'm sure the spare tire doesn't care.

I did hit that rim with some leftover Ford grey engine enamel.

Didn't do much prep but scrub the rust off with a wire brush and wipe it down with lacquer thinner.

Still glad I caught it now.

Annnnnd, the sky just opened up....

It's just the undercarriage, but I don't want a sticky mess that takes forever to dry.

I'm sure the spare tire doesn't care.

I did hit that rim with some leftover Ford grey engine enamel.

Didn't do much prep but scrub the rust off with a wire brush and wipe it down with lacquer thinner.

Still glad I caught it now.

Annnnnd, the sky just opened up....

I did get a second coat on the tire carrier and hanging bolts today!

IMG_20200902_142118.thumb.jpg.2a4e5c4e0ee6d57ba66beaf22e9c372f.jpg

Sometimes it's the little things..

I like the modification on the end of the tire carrier, I may need to do that on Darth as my V5 receiver hitch is in the way of the lug wrench handle socket.

Yep, that looks good, Jim. And I'd do that mod on Big Blue - but I don't plan to put the spare up there. In fact, I don't think I'm strong enough to do so. Still need to have that bumper/spare tire carrier made....

I like the modification on the end of the tire carrier, I may need to do that on Darth as my V5 receiver hitch is in the way of the lug wrench handle socket.

I've got the same issue with the receiver blocking that socket. But I wouldn't dream of trying to use the socket anyway, so I don't worry about it. I put the free end of the carrier on a jack and lift it into position that way. Same thing to get it down.

It's pretty easy at home with a floor jack. It's a little trickier to put it up when on the road with a bottle jack. So I would just throw the flat in the bed and put it back up underneath after it's fixed and when I'm at home.

I've got the same issue with the receiver blocking that socket. But I wouldn't dream of trying to use the socket anyway, so I don't worry about it. I put the free end of the carrier on a jack and lift it into position that way. Same thing to get it down.

It's pretty easy at home with a floor jack. It's a little trickier to put it up when on the road with a bottle jack. So I would just throw the flat in the bed and put it back up underneath after it's fixed and when I'm at home.

You still have to lift the carrier (with the spare!) Up enough to slip the P-bolt out of the slot.

How do you do that without the jack that's holding the truck up???

***Flat tire definitely goes in the bed, and gets dropped at the tire shop at the next opportunity***

It is a simple piece of 3/4 black pipe stuck in a stock gate hinge, welded to the end of the carrier.

I will get some better shots when it isn't hanging from the rafters.

You still have to lift the carrier (with the spare!) Up enough to slip the P-bolt out of the slot.

How do you do that without the jack that's holding the truck up???....

I use the jack to lift the carrier so I can get the P-bolt out. I just do that before the truck is jacked up. I'd do it that way even if I didn't need to use the jack to get the spare out. I don't want to be laying under a truck, horsing it around, while it's up on a jack.

And for what it's worth, I lift the carrier before I start to loosen the P-bolt. That takes tension and friction off the P-bolt so it turns a lot easier. Combining that with generous use of anti-seize and I can often turn the P-bolt by hand after backing it out a couple of turns with the lug wrench.