Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Much cleaner than my 70,000 mile 460. http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/laughing-25-x-25_orig.gif

I just don't understand how engines get that dirty inside.

I mean, I understand, but WTH?

I wanted to finish up my tire carrier, but it's raining here in Connecticut.

Smokey spattery welding in a tinder dry barn full of hay is not ideal either...

IMG_20200829_112545.jpg.8fbd87e4357420a8dd6dcf9ae058387e.jpg

IMG_20200829_115834.jpg.f82bba3f1ff29ac064a6ddcd5306c76c.jpg

But I DID figure out why the lunchbox has been glitchy feeding.

I took a file to the tip... and it's copper plated steel.

I guess it must have worn through on the inside?

Oh well, it welded that whole guard railing, parts of my truck and a bunch of other stuff like Theo's trailer.

They are consumables, ant it came with two spares, but I think I'll buy solid copper going forward.

I wanted to finish up my tire carrier, but it's raining here in Connecticut.

Smokey spattery welding in a tinder dry barn full of hay is not ideal either...

But I DID figure out why the lunchbox has been glitchy feeding.

I took a file to the tip... and it's copper plated steel.

I guess it must have worn through on the inside?

Oh well, it welded that whole guard railing, parts of my truck and a bunch of other stuff like Theo's trailer.

They are consumables, ant it came with two spares, but I think I'll buy solid copper going forward.

This time it is what I've done to my truck, but it was yesterday (just didn't get a picture until today). But I got new tires for the pickup. These are the first non-BFG tires I've ever bought for one of my trucks (including the CJ5 and Bronco). 9 sets of BFG ATs and 3 sets of BFG MTs over 36 years, but BFG lost me as a loyal customer with the KO3 ATs (edit: oops, KO2 ATs, it's the Mud-Terrains that are up to KM3 now). That was the last set of tires I had on this truck. I didn't like the look with aggressive tread going way up the sidewall, they always "tracked" with grooves in concrete, and for the last year or so they've been loud.

I got 40K miles out of those tires. Not great, but they probably still had another 5K or so if I wanted it. But I had a slow leak in one, figured I should replace them before winter, and was sick of the noise. And I just discovered that the spare wheel (that was with the truck when I bought it in 2012) doesn't fit. It has a 4 3/4" center hole. Apparently this truck needs a 4 7/8" center. So it was time for some tire and wheel shopping.

I got Michelin Agilis Cross-Climate. Nothing special about the look (but hey, that fits!), they're just black and round. But I put a pair of these on the front of my motorhome before the last couple of trips so I knew they were quiet. They look like they'll be good snow tires. Not as good off-road as the BFGs, but I don't do much of that with this truck anyway (mainly just bad forest roads when grouse hunting).

So far I'm happy with them! Much quieter than the BFGs, and no "tracking". I haven't tested the traction yet, but I'm pretty confident that they'll be fine there too.

DSC_0655.jpg.be52de253e224d6777a0faf5be51bc0f.jpg

This time it is what I've done to my truck, but it was yesterday (just didn't get a picture until today). But I got new tires for the pickup. These are the first non-BFG tires I've ever bought for one of my trucks (including the CJ5 and Bronco). 9 sets of BFG ATs and 3 sets of BFG MTs over 36 years, but BFG lost me as a loyal customer with the KO3 ATs (edit: oops, KO2 ATs, it's the Mud-Terrains that are up to KM3 now). That was the last set of tires I had on this truck. I didn't like the look with aggressive tread going way up the sidewall, they always "tracked" with grooves in concrete, and for the last year or so they've been loud.

I got 40K miles out of those tires. Not great, but they probably still had another 5K or so if I wanted it. But I had a slow leak in one, figured I should replace them before winter, and was sick of the noise. And I just discovered that the spare wheel (that was with the truck when I bought it in 2012) doesn't fit. It has a 4 3/4" center hole. Apparently this truck needs a 4 7/8" center. So it was time for some tire and wheel shopping.

I got Michelin Agilis Cross-Climate. Nothing special about the look (but hey, that fits!), they're just black and round. But I put a pair of these on the front of my motorhome before the last couple of trips so I knew they were quiet. They look like they'll be good snow tires. Not as good off-road as the BFGs, but I don't do much of that with this truck anyway (mainly just bad forest roads when grouse hunting).

So far I'm happy with them! Much quieter than the BFGs, and no "tracking". I haven't tested the traction yet, but I'm pretty confident that they'll be fine there too.

Those look nice, and fit the truck well!

I hope you enjoy them in the long term. 👍

Those look nice, and fit the truck well!

I hope you enjoy them in the long term. 👍

The rain cleared out and I finally got my tire carrier all welded up.

Crappy steel makes for crappy welds, and I'm no pro, but it IS solid. :nabble_smiley_cool:

IMG_20200829_195940.thumb.jpg.31f700cab1b9bb77c94a87d156cebefe.jpg

What a bunch of boogers!

IMG_20200829_200005.thumb.jpg.a782254a88f376077580b8909014a95e.jpg

So after 10 tomorrow I will attack with flap wheel and pipeliner disc.

Then get it painted.

The rain cleared out and I finally got my tire carrier all welded up.

Crappy steel makes for crappy welds, and I'm no pro, but it IS solid. :nabble_smiley_cool:

What a bunch of boogers!

So after 10 tomorrow I will attack with flap wheel and pipeliner disc.

Then get it painted.

Hoping everything holds So far is holding a vacuum at 30psi so we going to dive in and charge it tomorrow

20200829_172022.jpg.592f659d5e227484a7250dd162a7f011.jpg

As of this writing, Brutus is blowing nice and cold.

Do you need a start or run capacitor for the house?

Hopefully you won't be sleeping in Brutus tonight.

Today I gave up on the welding configurations shown inside the lid and just went with what felt right.

The little welder is back to laying perfect beads with great penetration and not much spatter.

Who knew you should ignore the instructions?? 🙅

Do you need a start or run capacitor for the house?

Hopefully you won't be sleeping in Brutus tonight.

Today I gave up on the welding configurations shown inside the lid and just went with what felt right.

The little welder is back to laying perfect beads with great penetration and not much spatter.

Who knew you should ignore the instructions?? 🙅

We gettingready to get on that now. hopefully itss just a start cap

Jim, sometimes instructions get in the way. Not saying not to read them, but sometimes you just have to break the rules

There are few rules.

These are "suggested voltage and feed settings" for different wire sizes and metal thickness.

It worked fine on the retaining wall, and Theo's wheelbarrow and trailer.

But I was just winging it.

When the contact tip started to get crappy, I didn't understand and went to the chart.

My bad! :nabble_smiley_blush:

But when I figured that out and replaced it, I didn't go back to what I "felt" was right.

No knock on the little Horrid Fate welder.

It can do a fine job if you work with it.