Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Had a scare tonight with the 2002 Ranger. It had some funky oil fill tube on the valve cover, and since my 2003 doesn't have one, I wanted it off thinking it was aftermarket. When I went to twist it, I heard something snap, and what sounded like plastic hitting a baffle in a valve cover. I shined a light inside, but couldn't see anything on the baffle. Knowing my luck and knowing better, I pulled the valve cover in search of the piece. Lo and behold, there it was on the cylinder head, right next to the oil passage. :nabble_smiley_scared:

Pulled the broken piece out, checked the rockers for play, admired the lack of sludge on everything, and then put it all back together with a new gasket after cleaning up the valve cover. Crisis averted and one thing knocked off my list of to-dos on the truck (valve covers had a small leak). :nabble_smiley_good:

I'm glad it didn't go down the oil passage into the sump, but I'm not sure from your description what it actually was. :nabble_anim_confused:

Was it aftermarket? Did it break? How did you fix it?

I'm glad it didn't go down the oil passage into the sump, but I'm not sure from your description what it actually was. :nabble_anim_confused:

It was a factory fill tube extension, not sure why the 2002 had one and the 2003 did not, unless the 2003 used to have one before I bought the truck. Can't say for sure. Either way, it screws onto the valve cover, and there's a tab that keeps it from spinning when you loosen the oil fill cap. But apparently the fill tubes don't like to be removed because the tab is what broke off and went down through the valve cover.

Here's a picture:

s-l1600_(1).jpg.208177f2671c0468b436f45ad63eb5d6.jpg

It was a factory fill tube extension, not sure why the 2002 had one and the 2003 did not, unless the 2003 used to have one before I bought the truck. Can't say for sure. Either way, it screws onto the valve cover, and there's a tab that keeps it from spinning when you loosen the oil fill cap. But apparently the fill tubes don't like to be removed because the tab is what broke off and went down through the valve cover.

Here's a picture:

Whew!

It's got to be a relief finding that.

A couple of times I've had the plastic ring left from removing the cap on a bottle of oil go down the riser, but I figure that's nothing compared to all the nylon shards that used to pack my pickup screen. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Here's a picture:

Yes, that must have been a relief!

So now the two trucks are alike, at least in that respect. And you found that the valve covers are clean. Not a bad result. :nabble_smiley_good:

What's the big differences with the '88 column, other than the support bracket underneath?

And why did you choose to go that way?

we have to use the 88 column, Brutus's column needs to be rebuilt and the steering wheel is bent. the column is very loose and worn out. some years ago, Nick needed to get to a Torino in the junkyard and there was a buick in the way so he ram'd it out of the way and ended up bending the steering wheel. We're not exactly sure how good the 88 steering wheel is going to look in it, but right now is all we can do. Everything looks the same so i'm hoping it will bolt right up, Nick says it will.

What's the big differences with the '88 column, other than the support bracket underneath?

And why did you choose to go that way?

Looks good, George. Here's hoping the air will be COLD! :nabble_smiley_good:

But Jim has a good question. Why go with the later column? I'm not knocking it, just seeking to learn.

And, what all did it entail?

we have to use the 88 column, Brutus's column needs to be rebuilt and the steering wheel is bent. the column is very loose and worn out. some years ago, Nick needed to get to a Torino in the junkyard and there was a buick in the way so he ram'd it out of the way and ended up bending the steering wheel. We're not exactly sure how good the 88 steering wheel is going to look in it, but right now is all we can do. Everything looks the same so i'm hoping it will bolt right up, Nick says it will.

This ole boy has donated many many parts to Brutus.

DSCN0788.jpg.0d6e821a75fffaaddeede3a5e3099c6a.jpg