Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

"With" not "To" again, and I still don't have an '80 - '86...

Lesley came up with a landscaping project that needed a bunch of concrete pavers. We went to Menard's and saw they had full pallets with 84 pavers that a forklift could stick right into my truck. Sure beats loading all those 40 lb rocks in by hand! The sticker on the pallet said 3404 lbs, so I was probably a few hundred pounds over weight. And with it all at the back of the bed it squatted it down 5.5"! 45 mph max on the 5 mile drive home!

We still needed more after that. A second trip to Menard's (after unloading them all by hand :nabble_smiley_sad:) and all they had left was 24 pavers (~960 lbs). So the same forklift operator stuffed those in the truck. That drove a lot easier than the full pallet had! Still not quite enough, so a trip to another Menard's and we had to load the last 8 in by hand.

Only picture is the truck with the full pallet (it doesn't show well in the light, but there are three rows of pavers on the pallet). Note how low the pintle hitch is with the truck straddling the top of that little hill!

Now THAT'S loaded! Did you have any "feel" in the steering?

Now THAT'S loaded! Did you have any "feel" in the steering?

X2!

Or, steering to feel???

I probably would have asked him to pick up an empty pallet and push it in a little farther.?

Confident operator though! :nabble_smiley_good:

That's tricky, as the truck is squatting while you're trying to get the tines out.

X2!

Or, steering to feel???

I probably would have asked him to pick up an empty pallet and push it in a little farther.?

Confident operator though! :nabble_smiley_good:

That's tricky, as the truck is squatting while you're trying to get the tines out.

Not that I'd want to do it often or drive far with it, but it actually wasn't all that bad. Staying at 45 mph on a freeway with little traffic meant it was a pretty smooth trip, but there was no appreciable sway in the lane changes getting on and back off the freeway. The steering felt relatively normal (although the whole truck felt pretty soft whereas usually it is pretty crisp). I wouldn't have wanted to have to make a panic stop like that! But with defensive driving on a short drive I wasn't too concerned there either.

The biggest problem the forklift operator had was that the pallet was listing a bit on the tines, so getting it high enough to clear the bed while low enough to clear the topper was a bit tight. There was about 1/2" above the right side of the stack and 1/2" below the left side, even though there was about 3" of total clearance. But I spotted for him and it went pretty well.

He did actually shove it a bit forward. To pick up that heavy a pallet he wanted it all the way on the tines (I would've too!), so he couldn't set it down far enough in for me to put the tailgate up (I had taken the gate off for loading). So after setting it down he backed out a bit, picked up the back edge of the pallet and shoved it forward another 8" or so. He couldn't go much farther because of the Rubbermade Action Packer tool box I have in the front of the bed. I could've (should've?) pulled it out and put it back in behind the pallet. But I didn't think of it in time, and I did like having the pallet closer to the back when it came to unloading it.

And he didn't seem to have any trouble with the angle of the tines getting it out. I think he was scuffing the top of the tines a bit, but it came out pretty smoothly.

Still, it was a memorable enough operation for him that he recognized me when i went back for the second load (not that I was surprised!). And a funny thing with that too. Along with the 24 pavers we also bought 8 bags of pea gravel on that trip. Rather than schlep them to the front of the bed before loading the pallet, or trying to squeeze them in after the pallet was loaded I put them on the pallet while we were waiting for the forklift. When he got there he asked if the gravel was mine too, because he said he'd never seen the pavers and gravel come together as a kit!

Not that I'd want to do it often or drive far with it, but it actually wasn't all that bad. Staying at 45 mph on a freeway with little traffic meant it was a pretty smooth trip, but there was no appreciable sway in the lane changes getting on and back off the freeway. The steering felt relatively normal (although the whole truck felt pretty soft whereas usually it is pretty crisp). I wouldn't have wanted to have to make a panic stop like that! But with defensive driving on a short drive I wasn't too concerned there either.

The biggest problem the forklift operator had was that the pallet was listing a bit on the tines, so getting it high enough to clear the bed while low enough to clear the topper was a bit tight. There was about 1/2" above the right side of the stack and 1/2" below the left side, even though there was about 3" of total clearance. But I spotted for him and it went pretty well.

He did actually shove it a bit forward. To pick up that heavy a pallet he wanted it all the way on the tines (I would've too!), so he couldn't set it down far enough in for me to put the tailgate up (I had taken the gate off for loading). So after setting it down he backed out a bit, picked up the back edge of the pallet and shoved it forward another 8" or so. He couldn't go much farther because of the Rubbermade Action Packer tool box I have in the front of the bed. I could've (should've?) pulled it out and put it back in behind the pallet. But I didn't think of it in time, and I did like having the pallet closer to the back when it came to unloading it.

And he didn't seem to have any trouble with the angle of the tines getting it out. I think he was scuffing the top of the tines a bit, but it came out pretty smoothly.

Still, it was a memorable enough operation for him that he recognized me when i went back for the second load (not that I was surprised!). And a funny thing with that too. Along with the 24 pavers we also bought 8 bags of pea gravel on that trip. Rather than schlep them to the front of the bed before loading the pallet, or trying to squeeze them in after the pallet was loaded I put them on the pallet while we were waiting for the forklift. When he got there he asked if the gravel was mine too, because he said he'd never seen the pavers and gravel come together as a kit!

That forklift operator knows what he is doing. He earned his keep.

My truck rides like a Lincoln with a ton in it, but with over a ton and a half I'd want to be using 1st gear to get rolling.

Thumbs up to the forklift driver.

What's the tipping policy at Menards? (We don't have them here)

My truck rides like a Lincoln with a ton in it, but with over a ton and a half I'd want to be using 1st gear to get rolling.

Thumbs up to the forklift driver.

What's the tipping policy at Menards? (We don't have them here)

I guess I sort of took the forklift driver for granted. Yes he did a good job, but it's his job to do that. I'm sure that any of the forklift operators where I work could have done the same thing.

Still, I did thank him. I'm not so clueless that I took him THAT much for granted.

I don't know the tipping policy at Menards. He didn't seem to be fishing for a tip, so at least I don't think tips are common.

As to starting in first gear, my truck has an automatic :nabble_smiley_sad: so I always start in first gear. But the truck felt very... sedate is a good word! However I did not try to accelerate fast at all. Driving very defensively and in absolutely no hurry with that load.

Backing up my driveway and through the side yard was where power was a little interesting! I don't have much of a hill, but I had to get pretty deep into the throttle to get it to move, especially after I was off the concrete and on the grass! And yes, I have some ruts now. It's been pretty dry lately so fortunately they aren't very deep.

I guess I sort of took the forklift driver for granted. Yes he did a good job, but it's his job to do that. I'm sure that any of the forklift operators where I work could have done the same thing.

Still, I did thank him. I'm not so clueless that I took him THAT much for granted.

I don't know the tipping policy at Menards. He didn't seem to be fishing for a tip, so at least I don't think tips are common.

As to starting in first gear, my truck has an automatic :nabble_smiley_sad: so I always start in first gear. But the truck felt very... sedate is a good word! However I did not try to accelerate fast at all. Driving very defensively and in absolutely no hurry with that load.

Backing up my driveway and through the side yard was where power was a little interesting! I don't have much of a hill, but I had to get pretty deep into the throttle to get it to move, especially after I was off the concrete and on the grass! And yes, I have some ruts now. It's been pretty dry lately so fortunately they aren't very deep.

I was just trying to relate my manual experience to what you see with an automatic.

I have a really hard time driving autos.

My left foot is constantly searching for something to do, and the width of the brake pedal is unnerving.

I'm too liberal in tipping.

But I want someone to know their professionalism is appreciated.

Creeped it right in there and didn't push too hard? Made absolutely sure not to scratch my cap?

Thank You!

I see too many big box operators that need LOTS of practice before they should be turned loose.

But then I ALWAYS tip the honeywagon driver on my jobsites.

(Even if it's not MY job)

Someone who sucks and mops :nabble_poo-23_orig: all day has my respect, and the porta potty on my jobs is always sparkling, and fully stocked with paper and sanitizer.

I was just trying to relate my manual experience to what you see with an automatic.

I have a really hard time driving autos.

My left foot is constantly searching for something to do, and the width of the brake pedal is unnerving.

I'm too liberal in tipping.

But I want someone to know their professionalism is appreciated.

Creeped it right in there and didn't push too hard? Made absolutely sure not to scratch my cap?

Thank You!

I see too many big box operators that need LOTS of practice before they should be turned loose.

But then I ALWAYS tip the honeywagon driver on my jobsites.

(Even if it's not MY job)

Someone who sucks and mops :nabble_poo-23_orig: all day has my respect, and the porta potty on my jobs is always sparkling, and fully stocked with paper and sanitizer.

I don't like driving an auto either. But I searched 3 years for a 4WD gas crew cab with a manual trans that wasn't completely rotted out yet and found 2. One was over 1000 miles away (which was vetoed by my wife) and the other was the wrong color (according to Lesley). So after 3 years I opened up the search to include autos and bought this truck 1 month later. But my NEXT truck...

Yeah, this guy certainly could do his job, and I suppose there are a lot that can't. And I'm probably on the other end of the tipping scale from you (somehow "tipping scale" seems like it should mean something else).

I don't like driving an auto either. But I searched 3 years for a 4WD gas crew cab with a manual trans that wasn't completely rotted out yet and found 2. One was over 1000 miles away (which was vetoed by my wife) and the other was the wrong color (according to Lesley). So after 3 years I opened up the search to include autos and bought this truck 1 month later. But my NEXT truck...

Yeah, this guy certainly could do his job, and I suppose there are a lot that can't. And I'm probably on the other end of the tipping scale from you (somehow "tipping scale" seems like it should mean something else).

Yeah, do people deserve a bonus for properly doing the job they were hired to do???

I consider it a gratuity, as in I'm grateful they didn't crash my truck or drop the load.

^^^^ sad commentary on corporate culture and the state of this country right now

Yeah, do people deserve a bonus for properly doing the job they were hired to do???

I consider it a gratuity, as in I'm grateful they didn't crash my truck or drop the load.

^^^^ sad commentary on corporate culture and the state of this country right now

Had a scare tonight with the 2002 Ranger. It had some funky oil fill tube on the valve cover, and since my 2003 doesn't have one, I wanted it off thinking it was aftermarket. When I went to twist it, I heard something snap, and what sounded like plastic hitting a baffle in a valve cover. I shined a light inside, but couldn't see anything on the baffle. Knowing my luck and knowing better, I pulled the valve cover in search of the piece. Lo and behold, there it was on the cylinder head, right next to the oil passage. :nabble_smiley_scared:

Pulled the broken piece out, checked the rockers for play, admired the lack of sludge on everything, and then put it all back together with a new gasket after cleaning up the valve cover. Crisis averted and one thing knocked off my list of to-dos on the truck (valve covers had a small leak). :nabble_smiley_good: