Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

George - Is there a reason you are looking for an aftermarket spacer? I ask because this thread gives a part number for an earlier spacer that didn't have EGR. And while that one is gone, you may be able to find another of them. That part, D7TZ 9A589-H, fits 77 & 78 El50/350,Fl50/350 trucks w/a 300 - - exc. Calif emissions.

But, I do think the bolt spacing for some of the Carter YF's & YFA's varied. So I can't say that all spacers fit. Perhaps those that know will chime in?

It went from 2 5/8" to 2 15/16 in 1973.

At least that's from The Frenchtown Flyer....

As I've said, I'm no 300 expert. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Edit to add: this 3/4" thick phenolic spacer (sold for Jeep) has two vacuum ports and a 1 3/4" bore with 2 15/16" stud spacing.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cwa-53000616?rrec=true

It's only $11 from Summit.

George - Is there a reason you are looking for an aftermarket spacer? I ask because this thread gives a part number for an earlier spacer that didn't have EGR. And while that one is gone, you may be able to find another of them. That part, D7TZ 9A589-H, fits 77 & 78 El50/350,Fl50/350 trucks w/a 300 - - exc. Calif emissions.

But, I do think the bolt spacing for some of the Carter YF's & YFA's varied. So I can't say that all spacers fit. Perhaps those that know will chime in?

Gary. No particular reason other then it will look better to be honest. I'd even go with an earlier factory egr plate and block it off if need be. Ours is cracked where the sensor screws into it right next to the egr. I siliconed it for the time being to get the truck able to run enough to do the AC work, but definatly have to change it before he hits the road. Which hopefully will be soon. I need a break. Was hoping he would be done for the virtual truck show. it's so hot here, we're starting to slow down. Nick got the dash partially put back in the truck today so if all goes accroding to plan, which you know it wont. But you never know. Once we get the ac going, everything else should move along. Hopefully anyway

This will be a first for me, as I'm painting my tailgate.....two coats of SPI epoxy applied yesterday. Filler work to follow, another coat of SPI epoxy, 2k primer, sanding then bc/cc.

John, for someone who's never done this before you're really going all out!

It looks great. :nabble_smiley_good:

Do you intend to use stickers or paint for the lettering?

There was some discussion about technique in Matthews build thread.

John, for someone who's never done this before you're really going all out!

It looks great. :nabble_smiley_good:

Do you intend to use stickers or paint for the lettering?

There was some discussion about technique in Matthews build thread.

Thanks Jim. Actually, the work I've been doing on my truck is to prep me to do the paint work on my 69 Mustang. I've been studying and even took an autobody course to do this kind of work. I cut out both the rear wheel arches on Blackie earlier this year. Welded in patch panels and new inner fenders. That was a lot of work but for the most part it went well. As I was a little nervous in blending the paint work, I doled that out to a local guy whom did a pretty good job with it. He was not cheap though. In fact, I can only imagine how much he would have charged me to do the patch panels and inner fenders, which was far more work than he had in the painting.

Been noticing an earthy whiff coming from my vents when I first turn the AC on and I had a feeling the airflow wasn't what it once was so I decided to remove the evaporator housing and see what I could find...

I was shock at how much stuff was in there! I think the plastic is the remnants of a Wawa plastic bag that must've got sucked up through the air intake in the cab sometime last year 😂

This is what I removed by hand, not including the crap that fell through the engine bay, I can't believe how much stuff was in there!!

IMG_20200816_131138.jpg.3574ec5de83d9e91a1a82e01237e46a5.jpg

You'll notice on the video the amount of stuff stuck in the back of the evaporator, I cleaned out what I could by hand and then hosed the whole thing down and gave it a good spray with Lysol .

By no means scientific but for my own curiosity I taped over the vents with flaps of paper and videoed them on the lowest fan setting before and after cleaning to see if I could perceive a difference.

The vents are blowing like Louis Armstrong now! And the cab cools in about 30 secs flat. Pretty happy with the result!

Been noticing an earthy whiff coming from my vents when I first turn the AC on and I had a feeling the airflow wasn't what it once was so I decided to remove the evaporator housing and see what I could find...

I was shock at how much stuff was in there! I think the plastic is the remnants of a Wawa plastic bag that must've got sucked up through the air intake in the cab sometime last year 😂

This is what I removed by hand, not including the crap that fell through the engine bay, I can't believe how much stuff was in there!!

You'll notice on the video the amount of stuff stuck in the back of the evaporator, I cleaned out what I could by hand and then hosed the whole thing down and gave it a good spray with Lysol .

By no means scientific but for my own curiosity I taped over the vents with flaps of paper and videoed them on the lowest fan setting before and after cleaning to see if I could perceive a difference.

The vents are blowing like Louis Armstrong now! And the cab cools in about 30 secs flat. Pretty happy with the result!

Rob,

if you haven't already, now you need to pull the cowl drains behind each fender liner and flush the crap out of there too.

You're in for a shock!

Thanks Jim. Actually, the work I've been doing on my truck is to prep me to do the paint work on my 69 Mustang. I've been studying and even took an autobody course to do this kind of work. I cut out both the rear wheel arches on Blackie earlier this year. Welded in patch panels and new inner fenders. That was a lot of work but for the most part it went well. As I was a little nervous in blending the paint work, I doled that out to a local guy whom did a pretty good job with it. He was not cheap though. In fact, I can only imagine how much he would have charged me to do the patch panels and inner fenders, which was far more work than he had in the painting.

John, When you did the inner fender wells did you leave some good sized holes at the top of the arch where they rot out?

This allows you to get at where all that salty road debris gets perched and holds water, because then at least you can flush it out easily with a hose.

Oh God....😂 How do I access these??

Reach up behind the plastic inner fender directly behind the tire on each side.

There is a rectangular rubber 'spout' sticking out from each side of the firewall (actually the lower cowl, where it drops down on each side)

They are secured with a plastic pin, top and bottom of the flange.

I have pictures about a year ago when I pulled my cowl to change out the wiper motor and linkages.

After having done this more than a few times over the years I decided to leave them off.

John, When you did the inner fender wells did you leave some good sized holes at the top of the arch where they rot out?

This allows you to get at where all that salty road debris gets perched and holds water, because then at least you can flush it out easily with a hose.

I sealed off part of it so water could not penetrate the junction where the inner fender meets to the body or outer fender. That is the area where things typically begin to rot. I also primed everything beginning with weld through primer in the welded areas and epoxy primer. I then sprayed a rubberized sealant on top of all that. It will never rust there again. I hate rust!!!