Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

I put Eunice to work, found a waterborne playmate for her. 1976 Fiberform 16ft. Floor and stingers rusted out, no idea if motor will run...

Was a good deal up front, the guy selling it called it a “2 Visa card boat”

He may be correct.

I'm beginning to see why your username is gsmBlue! 😉

Be sure to poke around the transom drains.

Once it gets waterlogged and starts rotting back there all bets are off as to how many cards are getting maxed out.

I've replaced more than a few stringers and transoms in my day.

I'm beginning to see why your username is gsmBlue! 😉

Be sure to poke around the transom drains.

Once it gets waterlogged and starts rotting back there all bets are off as to how many cards are getting maxed out.

I've replaced more than a few stringers and transoms in my day.

Cute! Goes well with the truck. But if the transom is bad I'd seriously consider cutting my losses. Jim has more experience than I, but stringers and a floor are as far as I'd go.

In my case I cut the floor out and found the stringers starting to rot from the water that had been in there. But the transom was good. I media blasted the stringers and the inside of the hull and then used the stringers as forms and laid fiberglass over them and onto the hull. Once done I laid a floor on top, bonded it to the hull at the edges, drilled a number of holes and poured urethane foam in. Worked perfectly.

Cute! Goes well with the truck. But if the transom is bad I'd seriously consider cutting my losses. Jim has more experience than I, but stringers and a floor are as far as I'd go.

In my case I cut the floor out and found the stringers starting to rot from the water that had been in there. But the transom was good. I media blasted the stringers and the inside of the hull and then used the stringers as forms and laid fiberglass over them and onto the hull. Once done I laid a floor on top, bonded it to the hull at the edges, drilled a number of holes and poured urethane foam in. Worked perfectly.

Yeah, until I start pulling stuff up it is hard to tell what is happening down there... I will start digging into it next weekend.

Stringers and flooring doesn’t worry me, I am concerned about the transom...

Yeah, until I start pulling stuff up it is hard to tell what is happening down there... I will start digging into it next weekend.

Stringers and flooring doesn’t worry me, I am concerned about the transom...

I am guessing that you already know that boat stands for Brake Out Another Thousand. Something my dad told me when I was younger and bought a boat. Strange thing was, if I called him and asked if he wanted to go fishing, his gear was on the boat before I could hang up the phone.

I am guessing that you already know that boat stands for Brake Out Another Thousand. Something my dad told me when I was younger and bought a boat. Strange thing was, if I called him and asked if he wanted to go fishing, his gear was on the boat before I could hang up the phone.

I was told two things regarding boats (a) they are a hole surrounded by water into which you pour money, (b) two happiest days in a boat owner's life, the day he buys his first boat and the day he sells it.

I was told two things regarding boats (a) they are a hole surrounded by water into which you pour money, (b) two happiest days in a boat owner's life, the day he buys his first boat and the day he sells it.

Yep, dad used to say those too, still, when it came time to go fishing...............

Yep, dad used to say those too, still, when it came time to go fishing...............

A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

I'd hoped to get my cab insulated today.

But I spent hours on the phone with my niece.

I did rebuild my exhaust hanger in stainless and get the tabs mounted on my radio. And the adapters soldered up.

But this place is a mess.

Lots of limbs to cut up and brush to haul.

Of course that meant that nothing's been mowed either.

Go away for a few weeks and the world falls apart. 🤷

But I am concerned about my niece.

I wish I could go down and offer support in person.

Family takes precedence.

A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

I'd hoped to get my cab insulated today.

But I spent hours on the phone with my niece.

I did rebuild my exhaust hanger in stainless and get the tabs mounted on my radio. And the adapters soldered up.

But this place is a mess.

Lots of limbs to cut up and brush to haul.

Of course that meant that nothing's been mowed either.

Go away for a few weeks and the world falls apart. 🤷

But I am concerned about my niece.

I wish I could go down and offer support in person.

Family takes precedence.

Sorry to see about your niece, Jim. You are right, family comes first.

Sorry to see about your niece, Jim. You are right, family comes first.

Hey everyone,

Got the front shocks done on the F-150 today. The old ones were completely blown out.

I also installed the new (well, old but nice) coolant reservoir and washer tank and pump.

I still have the dash out since I need to replace the speedo cable. I don't think it's the speedo itself. When I turn the gear on the cable the other side does not spin.

It seems there are many speedo cables for the truck when I shop around? Here is mine. It's about 74" long.

It looks like I need to keep the gear drive on the trans end of the cable?

Next up is the HEI distributor. A little nervous on that but I have the directions and the basic knowledge. Might as well replace the plugs while they are out.

Any info on the speed cable appreciated!

Thanks,

Josh

image813.thumb.jpg.eb11e985a255705deb7d4b0025740115.jpg

Hey everyone,

Got the front shocks done on the F-150 today. The old ones were completely blown out.

I also installed the new (well, old but nice) coolant reservoir and washer tank and pump.

I still have the dash out since I need to replace the speedo cable. I don't think it's the speedo itself. When I turn the gear on the cable the other side does not spin.

It seems there are many speedo cables for the truck when I shop around? Here is mine. It's about 74" long.

It looks like I need to keep the gear drive on the trans end of the cable?

Next up is the HEI distributor. A little nervous on that but I have the directions and the basic knowledge. Might as well replace the plugs while they are out.

Any info on the speed cable appreciated!

Thanks,

Josh

I'm not sure I understand "When I turn the gear on the cable the other side does not spin". Do you mean that the gear is spinning on the cable? IOW, you turn the gear but the cable doesn't spin?

If that's the case it is likely that your gear is stripped internally where it slides on the cable. But, for that to happen it is probable that the cable is hard to turn, if not stuck. If so you need to pull the inner cable out of the outer cable, clean it, and lube it. But you do NOT want too much lube. There's a speedo cable lube with teflon in it, and another with graphite in it. Either of those goes on and "dries", leaving very little to get up into the speedo itself and mess it up.

And then there's just the sticks of speedo cable grease. Dad taught me to pull the cable, wipe it down, and then run the stick against the first half of the cable going back in, but not the last half. That keeps the amount grease down and prevents messing up the speedometer, which can happen.

As for the different speedo cables, the difference is the length.