Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Wow! That's a lot of WORK! (Maynard G. Krebs)

I can't even imagine trying to back the Bronco up the hill with the trailer. I'm just not that good at backing, and trying to fit it and the trailer between the trees doesn't sound like fun. But pulling it would be a different story, and put weight on the rear tires.

Aren't you glad you have the rash rail? It'll be time for one on the other side soon. :nabble_smiley_wink:

By the way, when are you going to enter it in the show? And, for that matter, how 'bout you, Jim?

I wasn't backing the TRAILER up the hill, just the Bronco, pulling the trailer from the front hitch. That had seemed easier after "backing" the trailer while driving the Bronco forward down the hill. But on the second trip I unhooked after pushing the trailer down, backed the Bronco alone up the hill, turned around and backed back down so I could drive the Bronco forward up the hill pulling the trailer. That made it a lot easier to maneuver.

Ok, that makes more sense. :nabble_smiley_good:

Proud of her work.

You've certainly got a keeper there! :nabble_smiley_good:

The two of you certainly made a dent in those toppled trees.

Should keep you toasty for a while.

Definitely proud of her work. That's why I pointed out who did the stacking! And definitely a keeper! We learned long ago that her "love language" is spending time together. She'd rather do it on a road trip, or better yet, on the deck of a cruise ship! But if she "can" help me splitting wood, or building a fence, or landscaping the yard, she's got me "cornered" for a while. So it all works out good!

As to making a dent... I don't know if I posted these pictures last year or not, but here are a few pictures from the day after the wind storm.

These 2 big oaks took out the railing my grandpa made 60 years ago (and broke my finger the next day as I was trying to clear the steps)

DSC_8652.jpg.21b460d993d21c419ee604d8ba0c0f8e.jpg

The top 50 feet of a 70 foot tall white pine broke off and landed on the cabin. Broke a window, but surprisingly no other damage.

DSC_8657.thumb.jpg.5ec5ab0b98356088bd9f135fed6c3bef.jpg

These next 2 pictures are where we've been working this weekend. A branch from the oak in the first picture punched a hole in the end of the cabin, but that was the extent of the damage to the cabin.

DSC_8659.thumb.jpg.81d895dd7a7d50da58230e9ba467724d.jpg

DSC_8669.jpg.c39d9297feaf678f85244420be8d4bdb.jpg

We haven't even started cleaning up the downed trees in the woods, including the 2 1/2 foot diameter oak in the first picture.

DSC_8697.jpg.aa5abc66b2a49f69ff6b296395173103.jpg

DSC_8701.jpg.e50ea49a3d371a110afde68007abb14b.jpg

The garage took the most damage, with two big trees hitting it (one oak, one poplar). But it stayed up and protected everything that was in it, and we were able to get it repaired within a month or so (no small feat, with contractors still working on other cabins on the lake now, a year later).

DSC_8720.jpg.1c9a7f5ae238c98360d65c98af4056a1.jpg

So as much work as this was, it was really just a dent. But we're prioritizing the stuff needed for access first (done last year), the mess that's visible from the cabin next ("just" the 2 1/2 foot diameter oak left there now), and cleaning up the woods last.

We have 3 acres and estimate we lost over 50 good-size trees. Our property was one of the hardest hit as far as trees go. But we had surprisingly little damage otherwise, just what I already mentioned and one broken window in my folks travel trailer. Other cabins had serious structural damage, tipped over boat lifts (with boats on them), smashed docks and vehicles... We didn't even lose the cover on our lift.

And my parents had been out on the lake a half hour before the storm hit, but were in town 10 miles away when it did (they'd have never got out after the storm until we cleared the road the next day, and I can't imagine the PTSD if they've been there). And my sister was 30 miles away, going up to the cabin with her daughter and a group of her daughters friends to stay for the weekend. They were disappointed to not be able to get within 5 miles of the cabin due to downed trees on the highways, but after getting up there the next day to help us start to clear it out they decided that being able to go back home the next day wasn't so bad!

Proud of her work.

Definitely proud of her work. That's why I pointed out who did the stacking! And definitely a keeper! We learned long ago that her "love language" is spending time together. She'd rather do it on a road trip, or better yet, on the deck of a cruise ship! But if she "can" help me splitting wood, or building a fence, or landscaping the yard, she's got me "cornered" for a while. So it all works out good!

As to making a dent... I don't know if I posted these pictures last year or not, but here are a few pictures from the day after the wind storm.

These 2 big oaks took out the railing my grandpa made 60 years ago (and broke my finger the next day as I was trying to clear the steps)

The top 50 feet of a 70 foot tall white pine broke off and landed on the cabin. Broke a window, but surprisingly no other damage.

These next 2 pictures are where we've been working this weekend. A branch from the oak in the first picture punched a hole in the end of the cabin, but that was the extent of the damage to the cabin.

We haven't even started cleaning up the downed trees in the woods, including the 2 1/2 foot diameter oak in the first picture.

The garage took the most damage, with two big trees hitting it (one oak, one poplar). But it stayed up and protected everything that was in it, and we were able to get it repaired within a month or so (no small feat, with contractors still working on other cabins on the lake now, a year later).

So as much work as this was, it was really just a dent. But we're prioritizing the stuff needed for access first (done last year), the mess that's visible from the cabin next ("just" the 2 1/2 foot diameter oak left there now), and cleaning up the woods last.

We have 3 acres and estimate we lost over 50 good-size trees. Our property was one of the hardest hit as far as trees go. But we had surprisingly little damage otherwise, just what I already mentioned and one broken window in my folks travel trailer. Other cabins had serious structural damage, tipped over boat lifts (with boats on them), smashed docks and vehicles... We didn't even lose the cover on our lift.

And my parents had been out on the lake a half hour before the storm hit, but were in town 10 miles away when it did (they'd have never got out after the storm until we cleared the road the next day, and I can't imagine the PTSD if they've been there). And my sister was 30 miles away, going up to the cabin with her daughter and a group of her daughters friends to stay for the weekend. They were disappointed to not be able to get within 5 miles of the cabin due to downed trees on the highways, but after getting up there the next day to help us start to clear it out they decided that being able to go back home the next day wasn't so bad!

Wow, that’s a lot of downed trees! We had an ice storm about 10 years ago and had some trees and lots of limbs down, but nothing like that. And yet it took a long time to clean it up. So I can guess the amount of work involved - a LOT!!!

But overall you had surprisingly little damage. That was very fortunate. Obviously could have been a lot worse. 👍

Proud of her work.

I told Lesley what I wrote and she said I needed to fix it.

.... or better yet, on the deck of a Disney cruise ship! ....

I told Lesley what I wrote and she said I needed to fix it.

.... or better yet, on the deck of a Disney cruise ship! ....

Got it. :nabble_smiley_good: Last year I would have countered that my preference would be a Viking ship. But right now no ship is sounding good. The news says a Norwegian ship had a few crew infected and appear to have infected several along the coast of Norway. Count me out for a few year.

Got it. :nabble_smiley_good: Last year I would have countered that my preference would be a Viking ship. But right now no ship is sounding good. The news says a Norwegian ship had a few crew infected and appear to have infected several along the coast of Norway. Count me out for a few year.

I made this today

IMG_20200803_182212.thumb.jpg.acae85ba8494959588591495a96c3f86.jpg

from a spray gun wrench and a muffler clamp...

I don't like the welds but it's got a lot more meat than the stamping that was there and over an inch of bearing on the case ribs.

I really can't stand not having proper tools.

Even at my worst I have more resources than here.

Tomorrow is another day...

I made this today

from a spray gun wrench and a muffler clamp...

I don't like the welds but it's got a lot more meat than the stamping that was there and over an inch of bearing on the case ribs.

I really can't stand not having proper tools.

Even at my worst I have more resources than here.

Tomorrow is another day...

Looks good! How much more do you have to do?