Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Janey is cool as a cucumber! πŸ‘

That sounds incredibly harrowing.

You two really have found great life partners. 😁

Running a Bus or Combi like that is not advised under normal circumstance.

Any air flow restriction, like a valve cover or head gasket leak clogging the fins under the shroud will cook an exhaust valve pretty fast.

Yes, she IS cool! And we've had a blast. Man, what I'd give to do it all again!

And, while the engines could normally run all day at WOT, they did tend to get warm. The going thing at the time was a pair of side scoops. I had one designed that I could cut and bend out of a sheet of aluminum, but I never made it. Not long after we took that trip we sold the VW. I think the transaxle was starting to go, IIRC, and we decided that we needed something more reliable.

Yes, she IS cool! And we've had a blast. Man, what I'd give to do it all again!

And, while the engines could normally run all day at WOT, they did tend to get warm. The going thing at the time was a pair of side scoops. I had one designed that I could cut and bend out of a sheet of aluminum, but I never made it. Not long after we took that trip we sold the VW. I think the transaxle was starting to go, IIRC, and we decided that we needed something more reliable.

"More reliable"...... where's the adventure in that? πŸ˜†

"More reliable"...... where's the adventure in that? πŸ˜†

We were having lots of "fun" with that thing. It had a valve seat come loose and it chewed up the head, badly. The transaxle was making ugly noises. The heater was essentially nonexistent, and back then in Kansas it got COLD in the winter.

We were having lots of "fun" with that thing. It had a valve seat come loose and it chewed up the head, badly. The transaxle was making ugly noises. The heater was essentially nonexistent, and back then in Kansas it got COLD in the winter.

Yep, dropping the valve seat is *exactly* what they do (shortly before the head reaches the surface temperature of the sun)

The "heater" was all but non-existent on the day it rolled off the line.

As soon as the shrouds, or that uninsulated pipe up to the front rusted through you may as well start a fire by the shifter (where the two of you can share)

Yep, dropping the valve seat is *exactly* what they do (shortly before the head reaches the surface temperature of the sun)

The "heater" was all but non-existent on the day it rolled off the line.

As soon as the shrouds, or that uninsulated pipe up to the front rusted through you may as well start a fire by the shifter (where the two of you can share)

Evidently I got the E3TZ-7E215-A.... :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

I really need this little triangular tab -that is the Achilles heel of the 1356-

I don't think I can make anything of the remnants of the one that got caught up in the chain.

Evidently I got the E3TZ-7E215-A.... :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

I really need this little triangular tab -that is the Achilles heel of the 1356-

I don't think I can make anything of the remnants of the one that got caught up in the chain.

Actually, the ~3" stovepipe had burlap wrapped around it for insulation. But, when it got wet it served to rust the pipe out. I replaced all of that and you had the choice of warm oil-laden air going toward the windshield or toward your feet. Note that I didn't say "to" your feet or "to" the windshield as it didn't really get that far.

Anyway, E3 was used in some, E6 in others, and then there was E7.

So, what are you going to do?

Actually, the ~3" stovepipe had burlap wrapped around it for insulation. But, when it got wet it served to rust the pipe out. I replaced all of that and you had the choice of warm oil-laden air going toward the windshield or toward your feet. Note that I didn't say "to" your feet or "to" the windshield as it didn't really get that far.

Anyway, E3 was used in some, E6 in others, and then there was E7.

So, what are you going to do?

According to your documentation I need E7.

Which makes sense given the time the 1356 came out.

I'm between a rock and a hard place now.

None of the trans parts places I spoke to can get that part.

The one I bought doesn't come close to fitting.

My three welders are back in CT, although the Lincoln flux core unit is still here I don't think it has been used in 5 years, since I fixed it.

The old part is darn near torn in half.

While I needed a break after the hectic week I had, I didn't need to be broken like THIS.

I find this kind of frustration physically and emotionally exhausting.

Another week half gone, angry customers, bills mounting towards the end of the month.

Not really the cash in hand or a way to even GO to Albany and pull I junked one.

Tomorrow is another day, and another opportunity to find an answer.

Β 

According to your documentation I need E7.

Which makes sense given the time the 1356 came out.

I'm between a rock and a hard place now.

None of the trans parts places I spoke to can get that part.

The one I bought doesn't come close to fitting.

My three welders are back in CT, although the Lincoln flux core unit is still here I don't think it has been used in 5 years, since I fixed it.

The old part is darn near torn in half.

While I needed a break after the hectic week I had, I didn't need to be broken like THIS.

I find this kind of frustration physically and emotionally exhausting.

Another week half gone, angry customers, bills mounting towards the end of the month.

Not really the cash in hand or a way to even GO to Albany and pull I junked one.

Tomorrow is another day, and another opportunity to find an answer.

Man, this is a bummer... I’m sure you have already been searching, but every rebuild kit and pump I find that shows the triangle piece in the picture has a notice that it is no longer available and is ~not included in the kit!

96792381-A318-42DD-968D-8EA43BE8CB15.thumb.jpeg.591face6052f24c7910cada49eb5447c.jpeg

3A39E2C9-ADEF-494F-B0CB-5A5765932427.jpeg.0450e6d2a7ebaaf55ec7fd12a8daa715.jpeg

7E8C68B3-3E9A-4F39-86F9-56E916AC0D3E.jpeg.caa4d5a64f7e00ec521d206670e8fb0d.jpeg

5DF69E43-9C5D-4F9A-B51D-6FC9887183F5.jpeg.3f3b2c34126bf114ad1d5e99db6d6d70.jpeg

It’s starting to look like the only way to find one will be used/junkyard or a million phone calls until you run into someone who has old stock πŸ˜‘.

Man, this is a bummer... I’m sure you have already been searching, but every rebuild kit and pump I find that shows the triangle piece in the picture has a notice that it is no longer available and is ~not included in the kit!

It’s starting to look like the only way to find one will be used/junkyard or a million phone calls until you run into someone who has old stock πŸ˜‘.

They're showing all three retainers in the lower photo... :nabble_anim_confused:

I didn't get a baseball card either! 😈

Really surprised someone hasn't started making these (upgraded) with the pin welded in already.

But as I said to Gary, sometimes old things are old, and not worth having around anymore.

They're showing all three retainers in the lower photo... :nabble_anim_confused:

I didn't get a baseball card either! 😈

Really surprised someone hasn't started making these (upgraded) with the pin welded in already.

But as I said to Gary, sometimes old things are old, and not worth having around anymore.

This is a huge bummer! I'm not finding that part either, and the t-cases I find on-line are very expensive.

I know you have lots of parts on hand, but have you check Craigslist for someone selling a t-case locally?