Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Jochen - Good to hear from you! Nice camper. But hope you get to come back to the States next year.

Before we bought our '72 F250 with the 9 1/2' slide-in camper we had a VW Type 2 that had been converted to a camper. But, it wasn't one of the fancy one with a pop-up nor kitchen. And at 36 HP it couldn't get out of its own way.

Jochen - Good to hear from you! Nice camper. But hope you get to come back to the States next year.

Before we bought our '72 F250 with the 9 1/2' slide-in camper we had a VW Type 2 that had been converted to a camper. But, it wasn't one of the fancy one with a pop-up nor kitchen. And at 36 HP it couldn't get out of its own way.

My dad had two camper vans.

One with jalousie windows , a small sink stove and refrigerator.

The other had the pop-up roof and loft sleeping.

Both needed a lot of focus driving in a crosswind.

My dad had two camper vans.

One with jalousie windows , a small sink stove and refrigerator.

The other had the pop-up roof and loft sleeping.

Both needed a lot of focus driving in a crosswind.

Oh, man! Ours took more than focus. We lived west of the Arkansas river and I worked east of it. I remember crossing that bridge going home one night with a strong wind out of the north. I was thinking "I have to catch this thing when I get to the end of the bridge!" I told my buddy to hold on and when we hit the end I turned right - and it still moved into the left lane.

Oh, man! Ours took more than focus. We lived west of the Arkansas river and I worked east of it. I remember crossing that bridge going home one night with a strong wind out of the north. I was thinking "I have to catch this thing when I get to the end of the bridge!" I told my buddy to hold on and when we hit the end I turned right - and it still moved into the left lane.

The CBBT gets some strong winds to the point it is closed occasionally. There have been more than a few empty tractor trailers blown off there, at least one the driver told the attendant he was loaded and was blown over the side on the 1st span.

Yup

As far over as you could go with the wheel, without actually turning into the wind, and still drifting into the shoulder or next lane. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Going as fast as it would putt along because you're trying to lessen the wind vector.

Yup

As far over as you could go with the wheel, without actually turning into the wind, and still drifting into the shoulder or next lane. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Going as fast as it would putt along because you're trying to lessen the wind vector.

I got a new speedo gear yesterday.

IMG_20200727_173655.thumb.jpg.fc3a728e373cc0504cf60e95e2b3c4f6.jpg

IMG_20200727_173704.thumb.jpg.142a7ae12ba356dcaf0195a3685a5305.jpg

Managed to break the front yoke loose with the modified socket, a pipe wrench and a pair of cheaters from the scrap pile.

Spent some time cleaning up the main shaft with Scotchbrite too.

The old pump pistons (?) look horrible.

I hope the bore is okay.

So I'm down to cases and need to clean any shards out.

My locating finger and bushing are out from Nashua.

The forks are "in the mail"

I'll weld something on to the finger when it gets here.

IMG_20200724_175715.thumb.jpg.d5216fdea3bde9522cd6d4eaf912b5e4.jpg

I got a new speedo gear yesterday.

Managed to break the front yoke loose with the modified socket, a pipe wrench and a pair of cheaters from the scrap pile.

Spent some time cleaning up the main shaft with Scotchbrite too.

The old pump pistons (?) look horrible.

I hope the bore is okay.

So I'm down to cases and need to clean any shards out.

My locating finger and bushing are out from Nashua.

The forks are "in the mail"

I'll weld something on to the finger when it gets here.

Jim - "Going as fast as it would putt along" is absolutely spot-on. And that wasn't very fast. The entrance at the time to the bridge from the side street was basically a hard right turn. So you were down to maybe 15 MPH. The speed limit on the bridge was 45 MPH, and getting there wasn't easy - by the end of the bridge.

We took that VW to Arkansas in '69 or '70. Janey was driving and I went back to the bed. Pretty soon I looked out as we were flying down a hill, obviously with the throttle on the floor. All I could see out of that narrow back window was "A C" on the hood of the semi behind us. I said "Whatever you do do NOT lift that throttle!" That guy was glued to our rear bumper until he could pass. :nabble_smiley_argh:

Anyway, your t-case looks rough! I sure hope the pump works well. And, all the other parts get in SOON!

Jim - "Going as fast as it would putt along" is absolutely spot-on. And that wasn't very fast. The entrance at the time to the bridge from the side street was basically a hard right turn. So you were down to maybe 15 MPH. The speed limit on the bridge was 45 MPH, and getting there wasn't easy - by the end of the bridge.

We took that VW to Arkansas in '69 or '70. Janey was driving and I went back to the bed. Pretty soon I looked out as we were flying down a hill, obviously with the throttle on the floor. All I could see out of that narrow back window was "A C" on the hood of the semi behind us. I said "Whatever you do do NOT lift that throttle!" That guy was glued to our rear bumper until he could pass. :nabble_smiley_argh:

Anyway, your t-case looks rough! I sure hope the pump works well. And, all the other parts get in SOON!

Damage is my fault, and I own it.

Months of delays because I 'have' to put other people's wants before my needs.

And then, I 'have' to head up to the sawmill in VT because there's so little time to get that done.

And here I am. :nabble_smiley_hurt:

But I get beautiful views and imagine it's a lot cooler here that there.

People are pissed, but what more can I do?

If I had my old case (already reinforced) I would have gone to get it.

But I lost that too, because of my foolish decisions.

Now I get to pay for them.

Damage is my fault, and I own it.

Months of delays because I 'have' to put other people's wants before my needs.

And then, I 'have' to head up to the sawmill in VT because there's so little time to get that done.

And here I am. :nabble_smiley_hurt:

But I get beautiful views and imagine it's a lot cooler here that there.

People are pissed, but what more can I do?

If I had my old case (already reinforced) I would have gone to get it.

But I lost that too, because of my foolish decisions.

Now I get to pay for them.

More "what have you done with your truck recently"...

Yesterday we moved my older son and his girlfriend into our basement (not something I ever expected to say). Not the right story for an on-line bulletin board, so suffice to say we are glad to be able to help.

We rented a 6x12 U-Haul trailer. This is the second of two loads where we filled the truck and trailer both times. The first load went to "long term storage' (my younger son's basement). This load came to our house.

There was a small amount of drama in the drive with the first load when the trailer began to sway a bit. It was loaded nose-heavy, so I didn't know what the issue was, but I slowed down and the relatively short drive went fine. Then as we were finishing loading for the second trip I looked at the right rear tire on the truck and thought it looked a little low. Turned out to be around 25 psi. My air compressor was in my tool box at the bottom of the load in the truck, but right at the tailgate (due to some rare foresight!) so I was able to pump it back up before heading off with the second load. No sway that time.

dsc_0568.jpg.98e8e698166c8cf2ff280cee513cd929.jpg

dsc_0569.jpg.87cede48a34f3369b42c1c11e595898f.jpg

Janey is cool as a cucumber! 👍

That sounds incredibly harrowing.

You two really have found great life partners. 😁

Running a Bus or Combi like that is not advised under normal circumstance.

Any air flow restriction, like a valve cover or head gasket leak clogging the fins under the shroud will cook an exhaust valve pretty fast.