Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

same problem I am in. havent ran my 56 in some 5 weeks now something comes up every time I go to charge the battery and run it. My truck looks like will be sitting another year for the engine due to the virus really screwing up my gungho push to get it done this year. Hopefully another check comes out so I can pay my holley sniper bill off on paypal credit at least then I could use paypal credit to buy the rest of the stuff I need for my EFI conversion that isnt but $700.

In my quest to piece my transfer case back together I've searched high and low for the triangular stamped pump mount for a 1356.

I've called a dozen places and ended up ordering a pump out of Chicago second day, for what seems (to me) an inordinate amount of money.

Localish transmission shop said they were backed up three weeks.

Junkyard said they would not warranty a 1356, but would sell one for $200.

I've now got a $150 pump and $240 worth of chain, seals, and bearings incoming.

I think I need a tailshaft bushing too....

Does anyone have a source for this stamping?

I've been told by multiple gear supply houses that it lists for $5, but NLA.

In my quest to piece my transfer case back together I've searched high and low for the triangular stamped pump mount for a 1356.

I've called a dozen places and ended up ordering a pump out of Chicago second day, for what seems (to me) an inordinate amount of money.

Localish transmission shop said they were backed up three weeks.

Junkyard said they would not warranty a 1356, but would sell one for $200.

I've now got a $150 pump and $240 worth of chain, seals, and bearings incoming.

I think I need a tailshaft bushing too....

Does anyone have a source for this stamping?

I've been told by multiple gear supply houses that it lists for $5, but NLA.

Jim - I got my parts for both the ZF5 awa the BW1345 from Midwest Transmission. Here's a link to their BW1356 listings, but I don't see the stamping. However, I'd call them to see what they have. They were extremely helpful to me and I'll use them for anything I can.

Jim - I got my parts for both the ZF5 awa the BW1345 from Midwest Transmission. Here's a link to their BW1356 listings, but I don't see the stamping. However, I'd call them to see what they have. They were extremely helpful to me and I'll use them for anything I can.

I was out cruising around this evening trying to beat the heat. It was pretty comfortable when moving, but a bit muggy when stopped. I was looking for a good place to take a picture, but never really found what I had in my head (which was nothing specific anyway).

IMG_1890.jpg.80e495e092a118b99458d0ff4e166552.jpg

IMG_1893.jpg.bc940c8eb178dc08d3ee6d3dbf3e0183.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg.f89b8b05747227a09bf701fa5b557dc9.jpg

I was thinking. Do you guys ever get funny or odd questions from people asking about your trucks?...lol.

I've been out and about with this thing A LOT, and people are always curious, even if they aren't Ford people.

A common question seems to be: "Is it an '80, or an '81?".

One of the funny questions a few weeks ago was: "Is it an '86 or an '87?"

Oddly, not once, but twice people have walked by the truck and commented out of the blue and said "Is that an '84?". I assume they were just lucky guesses as there really is no way to identify the truck specifically as an '84 from the outside...at least not that I know of. Now, the instrument bezel would give it away as an '84, but you'd have to be a real Bullnose geek to know that...lol.

Another funny one is that when somebody is asking a lot of questions about the truck and I mention that it originally had a 3-on-the-tree transmission, the reply is always the same..."Oh, so it originally had a 300 inline 6 then?". It never really occurred to me until this year that maybe the 302 and 3-on-the-tree was a bit of an uncommon match? I suppose many base model trucks had 300 inline sixes and 3-on-the-tree transmissions.

I guess the next comment goes with the above comment, because a lot of people will ask if I swapped the 302 in the truck. When I say that the truck originally did have a 302, they will often reply with "Oh, that's interesting, I've only ever seen these trucks with 300 sixes in them".

I guess maybe the comments go with the local market history. People bought A LOT of base model trucks around here back then. A lot of cheap half tons and a lot of Flaresides too.

Anyway,...just rambling. I can't wait until it cools down...lol.

I was out cruising around this evening trying to beat the heat. It was pretty comfortable when moving, but a bit muggy when stopped. I was looking for a good place to take a picture, but never really found what I had in my head (which was nothing specific anyway).

I was thinking. Do you guys ever get funny or odd questions from people asking about your trucks?...lol.

I've been out and about with this thing A LOT, and people are always curious, even if they aren't Ford people.

A common question seems to be: "Is it an '80, or an '81?".

One of the funny questions a few weeks ago was: "Is it an '86 or an '87?"

Oddly, not once, but twice people have walked by the truck and commented out of the blue and said "Is that an '84?". I assume they were just lucky guesses as there really is no way to identify the truck specifically as an '84 from the outside...at least not that I know of. Now, the instrument bezel would give it away as an '84, but you'd have to be a real Bullnose geek to know that...lol.

Another funny one is that when somebody is asking a lot of questions about the truck and I mention that it originally had a 3-on-the-tree transmission, the reply is always the same..."Oh, so it originally had a 300 inline 6 then?". It never really occurred to me until this year that maybe the 302 and 3-on-the-tree was a bit of an uncommon match? I suppose many base model trucks had 300 inline sixes and 3-on-the-tree transmissions.

I guess the next comment goes with the above comment, because a lot of people will ask if I swapped the 302 in the truck. When I say that the truck originally did have a 302, they will often reply with "Oh, that's interesting, I've only ever seen these trucks with 300 sixes in them".

I guess maybe the comments go with the local market history. People bought A LOT of base model trucks around here back then. A lot of cheap half tons and a lot of Flaresides too.

Anyway,...just rambling. I can't wait until it cools down...lol.

Nice shots! That’s a good looking truck Cory, no wonder people ask questions.

My favorite is in my Bronco, when I tell them it’s a 351. Cleveland?

Those ARE nice shots! I particularly like the one with the clouds. :nabble_smiley_good:

On the questions, it appears that various areas had different tastes in trucks. Here by about '85 the trucks were being bought with lots of options. Many more Stylesides than Flaresides, and few 300's or 302's. Lots of 351's and mostly automatics.

I wonder why? The regular cab trucks were poor family vehicles, and the Supercabs weren't a lot better. And Crewcabs were a mile long. It was an awkward time for trucks.

.... Here by about '85 the trucks were being bought with lots of options. Many more Stylesides than Flaresides, and few 300's or 302's. Lots of 351's and mostly automatics.

I wonder why? The regular cab trucks were poor family vehicles, and the Supercabs weren't a lot better. And Crewcabs were a mile long. It was an awkward time for trucks.

Up into the '70s most people bought trucks to be used as trucks, so they were built accordingly: as inexpensively as possible to do the job well. And not a big need to carry more than one or two people.

As the '70s morphed into the '80s more people were buying trucks as a second or even first family car. They started loading them up as much as possible (which wasn't that much). But the manufacturers caught on and started making trucks into comfortable cars that could still work like a truck.

.... Here by about '85 the trucks were being bought with lots of options. Many more Stylesides than Flaresides, and few 300's or 302's. Lots of 351's and mostly automatics.

Up into the '70s most people bought trucks to be used as trucks, so they were built accordingly: as inexpensively as possible to do the job well. And not a big need to carry more than one or two people.

As the '70s morphed into the '80s more people were buying trucks as a second or even first family car. They started loading them up as much as possible (which wasn't that much). But the manufacturers caught on and started making trucks into comfortable cars that could still work like a truck.

And now we have $115,000 limos with a 5' open trunk, active suspension, 360 degree cameras and heated leather seats.

Where I live Raptors seem especially popular among those whose idea of "The off road experience" is the occasional cobblestone driveway. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

And now we have $115,000 limos with a 5' open trunk, active suspension, 360 degree cameras and heated leather seats.

Where I live Raptors seem especially popular among those whose idea of "The off road experience" is the occasional cobblestone driveway. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

I ordered a yellow tailshaft drive gear.

The plastic doesn't seem to have enjoyed the heat of the oil pump failure. :nabble_smiley_hurt:

STILL waiting on parts here in Podunk (North).

Spent $60 on 2nd day for the pump Saturday, and still don't have a tracking number (or shipping conformation) 😡

Truth!

Ha! Even worse, a couple years ago a supervisor at work was asking about my truck and what engine it had in it, and when I said it was a 302, he replied "so, is that the Cleveland engine?".

Ummm...WHAT?...lol. He's an idiot anyway though, so I just laughed it off and carried on about my business.

On the questions, it appears that various areas had different tastes in trucks. Here by about '85 the trucks were being bought with lots of options. Many more Stylesides than Flaresides, and few 300's or 302's. Lots of 351's and mostly automatics.

I would say that truck culture shift took place here a full decade later than in the US, if not longer. Plain pickups with 300 sixes and 5spds sold like crazy around here. Cheap and plain option-less pickups were very common out here on the east coast. Out west in oil & gas country lots of Lariats, crew cabs, and F250's a plenty. Something one needs to consider in the truck market during the Bullnose era was the introduction of the small Ranger...I bet the arrival of the Ranger coincides with a decrease in "plain truck" sales.

Even in the mid-90's, Ford sold the "Enforcer" F150's here...a Canadian market only marketing thing (as far as I know). They were plain XL trucks with 300 sixes in them and no options...again, these things sold like hot cakes here...lol.