Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

3 hours on a bench grinder cleaning up hardware tonight. Some of these were real rough but cleaned up well. Has anyone done DIY zinc plating? Might try my hand at it.

I've done copper, and nickel over that.

It's really no different than electrolysis for rust, except that you really need to clean the parts first with a pickling solution.

But I've never done zinc.

Do you use zinc chloride as an electrolyte?

I've done copper, and nickel over that.

It's really no different than electrolysis for rust, except that you really need to clean the parts first with a pickling solution.

But I've never done zinc.

Do you use zinc chloride as an electrolyte?

I haven’t been around much lately as I’ve been pretty busy working on the old RV. Leaving tomorrow for our first overnighter. Going to hang out at a beach tomorrow and may end up staying there lol.

I also just did two cruise nights in a row. Thursday night was super busy here and there was a big turn out. Tonight I drove 75 miles to check out a different one that just had their first night. The old Blue Mule is running like a champ and is in bad need of an oil change.

01763710-ACC5-4DF5-B73C-371E5EC0AC0F.jpeg.532be41413f8b81f96e4ab0a0412e4c9.jpeg

81E15C0F-8F60-48D0-B445-2AA7CEC7DE68.jpeg.acbfb86c3e6bbb452341411b17ba9d7f.jpeg

I may also have found another project...a 1980 Flareside 4x4. Owner has had it for 28 years. 300 six and C6, on a 1989 chassis apparently. Don’t know much else about it, but a friend is going to check it out for me next week as it is a bit of a drive away.

3DD63CEF-E69C-45D6-ACBF-A69411CAF3C6.jpeg.28fac99a787d1450ff49630e6a764975.jpeg

Also going on Sunday to check out a 1989 F150 4x4 short wheelbase with a later ‘92 style Flareside bed on it. It is a 302 truck with 5spd and front end damage. If it is worth fixing at all, the intent would be to Bullnose convert it, of course;)

If it is worth fixing at all, the intent would be to Bullnose convert it, of course;)

Although it's totally possible, and I've done it, I can't say that I would want to do it again. But I probably said that when I 4x4 swapped my old F150. And I know I said I was done cutting rivets when I did dual shock towers on that truck. But then I found myself cutting even more rivets on the F350, and 4x4 swapping it too. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

If you can live with the wrong dash, the wrong A/C box, and other differing factors, then you're golden. But I've found I can't live with stuff like that, I have an obsessive compulsion for symmetry and if I bullnose front clip swap, the rest of the truck has to be bullnose as well. :nabble_anim_crazy:

If it is worth fixing at all, the intent would be to Bullnose convert it, of course;)

Although it's totally possible, and I've done it, I can't say that I would want to do it again. But I probably said that when I 4x4 swapped my old F150. And I know I said I was done cutting rivets when I did dual shock towers on that truck. But then I found myself cutting even more rivets on the F350, and 4x4 swapping it too. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

If you can live with the wrong dash, the wrong A/C box, and other differing factors, then you're golden. But I've found I can't live with stuff like that, I have an obsessive compulsion for symmetry and if I bullnose front clip swap, the rest of the truck has to be bullnose as well. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Cory - Have fun on the maiden voyage with the "new" RV. Hope everything goes well for you. And, I hope you find the "right" next project.

But I'm with Shaun - I don't want a Bullnose front clip and Bricknose interior. (Sorry, Bill.) However, it might be right for you, and it is your project. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Cory - Have fun on the maiden voyage with the "new" RV. Hope everything goes well for you. And, I hope you find the "right" next project.

But I'm with Shaun - I don't want a Bullnose front clip and Bricknose interior. (Sorry, Bill.) However, it might be right for you, and it is your project. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Hey now!

Bill has an opal gray '95 dash he can install anytime he likes. :nabble_smiley_hurt:

Cory, I hope you and the family have a great time cruising the great white whale. :nabble_smiley_good:

You'll know the 'right' project truck when it finds you.

What are your goals, and how are different from your current Flareside?

Hey now!

Bill has an opal gray '95 dash he can install anytime he likes. :nabble_smiley_hurt:

Cory, I hope you and the family have a great time cruising the great white whale. :nabble_smiley_good:

I've been trying to find solid ground to fix my truck.

I literally have two big totes of parts, plus a center link, two rolls of foam/foil insulation and a new floor mat.

But im giving up.

I pulled my old starter, spent a few hours filing the burrs off my ring gear and stuck the new starter in.

I'm going to visit my sister for a few days.

Come the first I have a one week window to rehab a house that's been leased out for the past five years.

There's no way I can do that having to push my truck.

Maybe that means I'll be deep in grease for the dog days of summer?

Maybe I can find another beater to get me over this hump?

Stay tuned.

Shaun,

I've certain considered this same issue, and I would probably end up having a seizure with the same OCD...lol. I'm not 100% sure I would like a Bullnose swapped Brick, but this particular truck checked a few boxes as a good candidate...it is a 4X4, short wheelbase, manual trans, has been carb swapped already, good solid cab (supposedly), and it has front end damage, so it is already in need of a new front clip;). Still, I won't know until I see it. Your point is well taken though.:nabble_smiley_good:

Jim,

My goal is something to do...lol.

My Flareside is basically finished. It needs a few odds and ends, but for the most part it's just shine and go. I absolutely love the truck, and I love all the praise it gets when I take it out. That makes all the hard work so worth it.

But I need more to do than just shine and go. The winters are long and I need something to occupy my time. As much as I love my shiny truck, I also enjoy the cutting grinding welding sand blasting part that makes old junk look nice again...there is a lot of satisfaction in that.

The RV has filled that gap all through this winter and more importantly kept me busy during the Covid lockdown, but it too is mostly finished now.

So I've been thinking about another Flareside, but a 4x4. Not one to fully restore or anything...but just something to beat around in. Something that will keep me busy mechanically, but not something I need to worry about (scratching or getting dirty). I want to be able to haul stuff, and put a trailer hitch on it...and maybe even take on a dirt road...lol.

Problem is, I'm cheap, and based on what I want to spend, I need to start with junk...and what I've been finding mostly is a little too junky...lol. So finding something...anything, is a challenge around here.

I went to a new cruise night last night at a place called the Masstown Market. It's a tourist hot spot as it is right on the main TCH in the middle of NS. It's 75 miles away, but I went for a change of scenery. Two different guys that stopped by my truck told me there was one like mine sitting in the grass in a town not far away (on my way home) so I stopped in to check it out...

IMG_1510.jpg.38502abadd05ef84978d715d25c82a9d.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg.83f433812e029d1322634266bcd01e22.jpg

Alas it was not for sale, but I had to check anyway. Something like this I would buy so quick (and actually pay good money for...well above my current budget) but the guy was just not budging. This stuff drives me crazy, because it's been there for years obviously.

Anyway, I'll keep looking...but it's all really just something to do.

Shaun,

I've certain considered this same issue, and I would probably end up having a seizure with the same OCD...lol. I'm not 100% sure I would like a Bullnose swapped Brick, but this particular truck checked a few boxes as a good candidate...it is a 4X4, short wheelbase, manual trans, has been carb swapped already, good solid cab (supposedly), and it has front end damage, so it is already in need of a new front clip;). Still, I won't know until I see it. Your point is well taken though.:nabble_smiley_good:

Jim,

My goal is something to do...lol.

My Flareside is basically finished. It needs a few odds and ends, but for the most part it's just shine and go. I absolutely love the truck, and I love all the praise it gets when I take it out. That makes all the hard work so worth it.

But I need more to do than just shine and go. The winters are long and I need something to occupy my time. As much as I love my shiny truck, I also enjoy the cutting grinding welding sand blasting part that makes old junk look nice again...there is a lot of satisfaction in that.

The RV has filled that gap all through this winter and more importantly kept me busy during the Covid lockdown, but it too is mostly finished now.

So I've been thinking about another Flareside, but a 4x4. Not one to fully restore or anything...but just something to beat around in. Something that will keep me busy mechanically, but not something I need to worry about (scratching or getting dirty). I want to be able to haul stuff, and put a trailer hitch on it...and maybe even take on a dirt road...lol.

Problem is, I'm cheap, and based on what I want to spend, I need to start with junk...and what I've been finding mostly is a little too junky...lol. So finding something...anything, is a challenge around here.

I went to a new cruise night last night at a place called the Masstown Market. It's a tourist hot spot as it is right on the main TCH in the middle of NS. It's 75 miles away, but I went for a change of scenery. Two different guys that stopped by my truck told me there was one like mine sitting in the grass in a town not far away (on my way home) so I stopped in to check it out...

Alas it was not for sale, but I had to check anyway. Something like this I would buy so quick (and actually pay good money for...well above my current budget) but the guy was just not budging. This stuff drives me crazy, because it's been there for years obviously.

Anyway, I'll keep looking...but it's all really just something to do.

Jim - I'll keep you in my prayers. I hope you can find a place where you can do the needed work on your truck, and that it'll go easily and safely.

Cory - It really is frustrating when people let things just rust away and won't sell. That looks like a very good project.

But others will come along. And I fully understand about having one to "shine and go" and one to "get dirty". Makes good sense to me. Keep on looking!

I haven’t been around much lately as I’ve been pretty busy working on the old RV. Leaving tomorrow for our first overnighter. Going to hang out at a beach tomorrow and may end up staying there lol.

I also just did two cruise nights in a row. Thursday night was super busy here and there was a big turn out. Tonight I drove 75 miles to check out a different one that just had their first night. The old Blue Mule is running like a champ and is in bad need of an oil change.

I may also have found another project...a 1980 Flareside 4x4. Owner has had it for 28 years. 300 six and C6, on a 1989 chassis apparently. Don’t know much else about it, but a friend is going to check it out for me next week as it is a bit of a drive away.

Also going on Sunday to check out a 1989 F150 4x4 short wheelbase with a later ‘92 style Flareside bed on it. It is a 302 truck with 5spd and front end damage. If it is worth fixing at all, the intent would be to Bullnose convert it, of course;)

Beautiful photos of you truck, Cory! I know it was well received at both drive-ins! :nabble_anim_claps:

Beautiful photos of you truck, Cory! I know it was well received at both drive-ins! :nabble_anim_claps:

Thanks David!

Ya know, going to the second drive-in event that was further from home was pretty cool...just to go somewhere different. I was excited about actually going to some car shows this season, but with the Covid of course they are all cancelled. Oh well...there's always next year! In the meantime, I'll take in what I can.

I had at least one guy stop by and let me know that although he wasn't a Ford guy, he still thought the truck looked great!