Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

The old cap is marked 1.1, which I take to be atmospheres. So that would be roughly 16 psi, and that's what we went back with.

I'm thinking this was an iterative scenario, where the system pushed a bit out and didn't suck it back. Then it got warmer and it pushed more out and didn't suck it back. Until finally it was working with too little coolant and the temp gauge started seeing air, then coolant, then air.

As for the head gaskets, been there and had them replaced with the better gaskets. So, I sure hope that isn't it.

The issue is that our daughter is to drive it to/from Wichita on Sunday and then, in a couple of more weeks, the whole family is to drive it to Charleston where they are moving. So I need to get this sorted.

It's supposed to be a closed system (except for the pressure relief)

If the expansion tank draws from the bottom how are you getting a part filled radiator???

Even steam recondenses to water when it goes below it's transition temperature.

(Zero net volumetric increase)

So unless the radiator cap was drawing air... and even then it should be pulling from the expansion tank.

It's supposed to be a closed system (except for the pressure relief)

If the expansion tank draws from the bottom how are you getting a part filled radiator???

Even steam recondenses to water when it goes below it's transition temperature.

(Zero net volumetric increase)

So unless the radiator cap was drawing air... and even then it should be pulling from the expansion tank.

In my experience if the top seal in the cap leaks then it'll pull air in and not coolant. I've had that happen several times, especially with the Mr Gasket caps, which did it consistently. Turned out the top seal was at an angle and it couldn't seal.

In my experience if the top seal in the cap leaks then it'll pull air in and not coolant. I've had that happen several times, especially with the Mr Gasket caps, which did it consistently. Turned out the top seal was at an angle and it couldn't seal.

So you went back with an OEM cap from the dealer, right?

Well, I'm still waiting on my new clutch, but at least the oil pump showed up! :nabble_smiley_good:

Good deal! You'll be wrenching soon.

As for the Subie, the new cap appears to have fixed it. We filled the radiator up and marked where the coolant was in the expansion tank and then the car was driven around town for a while. The next morning the level in the expansion tank was down just about an inch, which doesn't represent much coolant as it was in a narrow neck of the tank, and the radiator was full.

Yesterday it was driven to BA and back on the highway, a distance of about 60 miles, and after it cooled the radiator was full and the coolant at the same point in the tank. And tomorrow it is going to Wichita and back on Tuesday, a distance of about 300 miles.

All of this is working up to a 1200 mile trip to Charleston, SC in about a month when the kids move there for a while.

Good deal! You'll be wrenching soon.

As for the Subie, the new cap appears to have fixed it. We filled the radiator up and marked where the coolant was in the expansion tank and then the car was driven around town for a while. The next morning the level in the expansion tank was down just about an inch, which doesn't represent much coolant as it was in a narrow neck of the tank, and the radiator was full.

Yesterday it was driven to BA and back on the highway, a distance of about 60 miles, and after it cooled the radiator was full and the coolant at the same point in the tank. And tomorrow it is going to Wichita and back on Tuesday, a distance of about 300 miles.

All of this is working up to a 1200 mile trip to Charleston, SC in about a month when the kids move there for a while.

Good deal! :nabble_smiley_cool:

Good for Holly and her family too.

The won't be setting into riots for the RNC either.