Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Funny little thing I learned today, you can't really put the dash back in with the A/C vents installed, without the wiring harness being fastened to it first. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

At least, that's the easiest way to do it because the way I'm doing it, I'm having to fight the dash to fish the wires through and it's not fun at all. :nabble_smiley_sleep:

I feel your pain :nabble_smiley_beam: I did the opposite - installed the drivers side duct last and it was a pain to get in there. I can imagine having to snake the thick harness through it is even less fun.

Just a fun tidbit but playing around last night I found out that since the steering wheel speed controls use different resistance values over a single wire it can also be used to control a stereo head unit (at least one that can 'learn' button presses). You don't have a lot of buttons to work with and I don't know how long they'd last being used frequently but it works.

I feel your pain :nabble_smiley_beam: I did the opposite - installed the drivers side duct last and it was a pain to get in there. I can imagine having to snake the thick harness through it is even less fun.

Just a fun tidbit but playing around last night I found out that since the steering wheel speed controls use different resistance values over a single wire it can also be used to control a stereo head unit (at least one that can 'learn' button presses). You don't have a lot of buttons to work with and I don't know how long they'd last being used frequently but it works.

My last truck was a non-a/c truck so this a/c ducting is new to me and I couldn't remember how I pulled the ducting and wiring harness out when I first took the truck apart. Looking at the pictures in the factory shop manual made it clear that the wiring harness is supposed to go in before the ducts.

That's cool about the speed control buttons working for the radio, but I can't imagine that they'll last with heavy usage as we've all seen how brittle the horn pads are at this age.

My last truck was a non-a/c truck so this a/c ducting is new to me and I couldn't remember how I pulled the ducting and wiring harness out when I first took the truck apart. Looking at the pictures in the factory shop manual made it clear that the wiring harness is supposed to go in before the ducts.

That's cool about the speed control buttons working for the radio, but I can't imagine that they'll last with heavy usage as we've all seen how brittle the horn pads are at this age.

Haha yep. I don't think they'd survive very long being mashed every time you want to change the volume.

Haha yep. I don't think they'd survive very long being mashed every time you want to change the volume.

First time having the interior mostly complete since taking the trucks apart. Still need a few things but it's mostly there.

Screenshot_20200605-180711_Gallery.thumb.jpg.c4ee5031af5eae5042d83f8596225788.jpg

First time having the interior mostly complete since taking the trucks apart. Still need a few things but it's mostly there.

Looking really good. I don't see any hanging wires or huge cracks in the dash so I guess you got all the wires in place without much fuss :nabble_smiley_good:

It's a truck again (inside)! :nabble_anim_jump:

But how are you going to get the carpet in without removing the seat and sticks?

Seat has to come back out to fix a couple of loose thread pieces and to fix the lazy patch panels somebody has done, so no worries there, and I'm not sure what you mean by sticks?

Looking really good. I don't see any hanging wires or huge cracks in the dash so I guess you got all the wires in place without much fuss :nabble_smiley_good:

I had to pull the whole dash back out, remove the ducting, install the harness the right way, and then put the ducts back on, and reinstall the dash. Time consuming, but it was the right way to do it and made for an easy re-install.

It's a truck again (inside)! :nabble_anim_jump:

But how are you going to get the carpet in without removing the seat and sticks?

Seat has to come back out to fix a couple of loose thread pieces and to fix the lazy patch panels somebody has done, so no worries there, and I'm not sure what you mean by sticks?

I had to pull the whole dash back out, remove the ducting, install the harness the right way, and then put the ducts back on, and reinstall the dash. Time consuming, but it was the right way to do it and made for an easy re-install.

Sticks = shift levers. Stick shift?