Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

I like Cobras, and had at one point thought of building one of the kits. But got into Bullnose trucks instead? :nabble_anim_confused:

Good link, Jim. I looked at the OK laws and may want to register Dad's truck as a Vintage vehicle. We shall see.

Virginia has the vintage or antique system also. Main difference is usage restrictions on antique tags. When Matt had his 1965 Corsa, I got a set of excellent condition 1965 VA plates, black letter/number combination on white. I carried them into work and had them sand blasted and painted with some super epoxy white. My son in law hand did the black 19 Virginia 65 and the 6 numbers. Matt got them as a Christmas present along with the new registration. I had to give the license plate collector (an old friend) one of my two sets of Marine Reserve plates (I had MR-18 and MR-19) for the 1965 plates.

Jury is still out on the Lebaron, I have kept the plates from the 1985 active so I can't lose the T2K-CAR number. If I can have them issued as a vintage tag I will, antique tags limit your usage and the State Police are cracking down on people who abuse them.

That looks cool, Matthew! I do approve of the hubcap and have others...

I am genuinely glad to hear that...I would hate for you to think I was providing your hubcap a bad home. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Quick video from my 460 adventures tonight. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

Quick video from my 460 adventures tonight. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

Maybe yes, maybe no.

Can't tell on my phone... is that the factory nylon gear?

I've said before 70k is the limit with those things.

Looking forward to seeing why that one cylinder is burning oil.

Maybe yes, maybe no.

Nope, timing chain has "Hecho en Mexico" stamped on every link. Gears are metal. Definitely looks like a replacement set to me although I haven't pulled the set to verify a brand name or anything yet. I did set the engine to #1 TDC and the timing marks were in-line, so I know that it hasn't jumped time.

Also, ALL of the spark plugs were covered in oil. It's too hard to tell if that was the general running condition or if it was due to the engine sitting on it's side at some point where oil could leak past the rings and get onto the plugs. Either way, I'm pretty certain this thing is FAR from a 70,000 mile engine. The front crankshaft damper has a wide groove cut into it where the front crank seal in the timing cover rides, so that's the first casualty. At this point I'm just hoping the block isn't over the stock bore size, and that it has clean cylinder walls and a clean crank. I looked all over the smooth sections of the engine block where some shops will stamp the overbore but have not found any such markings. Guess I'll just have to stick the scope in and have a look, provided that the pistons aren't covered in oil and soot. And at the end of the day if the block is junk, at least I have all of the pulleys, brackets, and the oil pan so that I could stab a reman engine in it if it comes to that.

Maybe yes, maybe no.

Nope, timing chain has "Hecho en Mexico" stamped on every link. Gears are metal. Definitely looks like a replacement set to me although I haven't pulled the set to verify a brand name or anything yet. I did set the engine to #1 TDC and the timing marks were in-line, so I know that it hasn't jumped time.

Also, ALL of the spark plugs were covered in oil. It's too hard to tell if that was the general running condition or if it was due to the engine sitting on it's side at some point where oil could leak past the rings and get onto the plugs. Either way, I'm pretty certain this thing is FAR from a 70,000 mile engine. The front crankshaft damper has a wide groove cut into it where the front crank seal in the timing cover rides, so that's the first casualty. At this point I'm just hoping the block isn't over the stock bore size, and that it has clean cylinder walls and a clean crank. I looked all over the smooth sections of the engine block where some shops will stamp the overbore but have not found any such markings. Guess I'll just have to stick the scope in and have a look, provided that the pistons aren't covered in oil and soot. And at the end of the day if the block is junk, at least I have all of the pulleys, brackets, and the oil pan so that I could stab a reman engine in it if it comes to that.

If need be I have a complete 1971 429 that had a pretty nice looking bottom end if it's a route youd like to take.

Maybe yes, maybe no.

If need be I have a complete 1971 429 that had a pretty nice looking bottom end if it's a route youd like to take.

Going from external to internal balance is an option I suppose.

I don't know about the deck height v available 460 rod lengths.

Definitely would need an expensive zero balance flywheel though.