Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Don't you dare go anywhere!

History is being made.

I got tired of waiting for them to scrub, so I ran to the shop and back. Made it back in plenty of time for them to cancel for today. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Pics or it didn't happen!

:nabble_anim_blbl:

Come on, we want to see the tires!

David's hubcap is really going to set off the spare (even if it isn't period correct)

Pics or it didn't happen!

:nabble_anim_blbl:

Come on, we want to see the tires!

David's hubcap is really going to set off the spare (even if it isn't period correct)

You saw them up above. I haven't gone anywhere to get them installed yet - the 'going out' I mentioned was to pick them up from the shop they were delivered to, which is apparently too good to install my tires. I'll take them to NTB tomorrow for installation, and I'll hopefully have a photo then.

So, you're going to pull the heads too?

Might be easier said than done without it bolted down (to something like a truck :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:)

Man, every time I've had to remove those head bolts I've had to use 3/4 drive with a cheater bar.

Nope, endoscope.

I would rather not pull the heads if there are no head gasket issues. At least not until the engine is sitting in the truck. As Gary mentioned, I'd like to do the leak down test before any of that happens.

Might be easier said than done without it bolted down (to something like a truck :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:)

Man, every time I've had to remove those head bolts I've had to use 3/4 drive with a cheater bar.

Nope, endoscope.

I would rather not pull the heads if there are no head gasket issues. At least not until the engine is sitting in the truck. As Gary mentioned, I'd like to do the leak down test before any of that happens.

I'd just do the leak-down test and know whether the valves and rings are good. Then if the bearings look good, replace the timing set and gaskets and run it.

Nope, endoscope.

Great minds think alike! :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

If you scope it try to look for cracks between the exhaust seat and plug hole.

That's where they happen.

Great minds think alike! :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

If you scope it try to look for cracks between the exhaust seat and plug hole.

That's where they happen.

I definitely plan to run it and possibly build a better engine on the side at some point if this one starts to get tired. I just don't want to waste a bunch of time on an engine rebuild that isn't really necessary for a truck I'll only drive maybe a few times a week.

I definitely plan to run it.....

Well, that's not gonna happen. Pulled the plugs to find all 8 covered in oil, and pulled the passenger valve cover to find sludge buildup. My Ranger still had clean heads when I did valve cover gaskets on it at 150,000 miles due to my regular oil changes, so this 460 either rarely saw an oil change, or it's got more miles than my daily. Not really disappointed though, I went into this expecting a tired motor, and that's what I seem to have bought. Still need to check a few things more, but with the sludge and trash that may have possibly clogged the oil passages, it's a safer bet to just do a full rebuild so I won't have to worry about it.

Screenshot_20200527-212049_Gallery.thumb.jpg.3d5418093fa1d45eb46017375bb317da.jpg

Screenshot_20200527-212108_Gallery.thumb.jpg.057b6f62796e9b30021cdb6414fcd84e.jpg

Screenshot_20200527-212157_Gallery.thumb.jpg.4db0111cad585a2a252f530ae3ea8369.jpg

I definitely plan to run it.....

Well, that's not gonna happen. Pulled the plugs to find all 8 covered in oil, and pulled the passenger valve cover to find sludge buildup. My Ranger still had clean heads when I did valve cover gaskets on it at 150,000 miles due to my regular oil changes, so this 460 either rarely saw an oil change, or it's got more miles than my daily. Not really disappointed though, I went into this expecting a tired motor, and that's what I seem to have bought. Still need to check a few things more, but with the sludge and trash that may have possibly clogged the oil passages, it's a safer bet to just do a full rebuild so I won't have to worry about it.

That's too bad Shaun. :nabble_smiley_blush:

But at least you're not into it for much (so far)

Surprising, given that most RV owners I know are anal -like aircraft anal- about maintenance logs, noting every time they wash the thing, or change the wiper blades.

But you've got a complete 460, that's not seized and hasn't lost the backing plate (apparently)

Maybe you'll slip in a cam and lose some weight with an aluminum manifold?