Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Cool! A carbed 460. Non-cat. Are you going through it?

Definitely gonna take the valve covers and oil pan off and see what I can see. She spins over with plenty of compression and the right amount of resistance. Everything on this motor is original, it even still has the hot air shroud for the air cleaner. Guy I bought it from said he pulled it from a running 70k mile 86 F250 with a rusted out body, and from what I'm seeing, 70k may be correct. He bought the truck for the engine so he could put it in a project truck, but has realized he has too many projects (I can attest, he has dent-side trucks and parts EVERYWHERE and even a ZF5 for sale) and is thinning his stable.

Apparently my missing tires decided to take the scenic route to get here, and are currently in California. Estimated delivery is now a week from today. :nabble_smiley_sad:

My last two tires are still on the move. So far their routing has been:

South Bend IN

Chicago IL

Bloomington CA

Grants NM

Henryetta OK

That puts them on I-40, so I'm expecting Memphis, then maybe Birmingham and then Atlanta. Here's hoping...

Huntsville AL!

And after spending a quiet holiday weekend in Alabama...

Ellenwood GA

That's on the south side of Atlanta, so they're now local. Delivery is promised for tomorrow...have some things going on tomorrow evening, so maybe I can get them on tomorrow anyway, but more likely not until Thursday. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Apparently my missing tires decided to take the scenic route to get here, and are currently in California. Estimated delivery is now a week from today. :nabble_smiley_sad:

My last two tires are still on the move. So far their routing has been:

South Bend IN

Chicago IL

Bloomington CA

Grants NM

Henryetta OK

That puts them on I-40, so I'm expecting Memphis, then maybe Birmingham and then Atlanta. Here's hoping...

Huntsville AL!

And after spending a quiet holiday weekend in Alabama...

Ellenwood GA

That's on the south side of Atlanta, so they're now local. Delivery is promised for tomorrow...have some things going on tomorrow evening, so maybe I can get them on tomorrow anyway, but more likely not until Thursday. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Shaun - That sounds like a very nice engine. I'd put it on the stand and do a leak-down test. And, as you suggested, pull the pan and valve covers and check things out. If it looks good I'd put new gaskets on and run it.

Mathew - Good thing you aren't in a hurry!

Shaun - That sounds like a very nice engine. I'd put it on the stand and do a leak-down test. And, as you suggested, pull the pan and valve covers and check things out. If it looks good I'd put new gaskets on and run it.

Mathew - Good thing you aren't in a hurry!

While you have the pan off, pull any plastic shards out of the pickup screen.

70k is right about time for the timing set to be getting all sloppy, so you might want to check.

You certainly don't want to get it in, up and running, only to discover it's spitting out the carb.

While you have the pan off, pull any plastic shards out of the pickup screen.

70k is right about time for the timing set to be getting all sloppy, so you might want to check.

You certainly don't want to get it in, up and running, only to discover it's spitting out the carb.

Thanks Gary and Jim, I definitely plan on replacing the timing set, gaskets, pickup tube and screen, oil pump, and a few other things at the very least, provided I don't find anything worrying in the pickup screen or sludge in the engine, and provided I can still see some cross-hatching and no damage to the cylinder walls.

Thanks Gary and Jim, I definitely plan on replacing the timing set, gaskets, pickup tube and screen, oil pump, and a few other things at the very least, provided I don't find anything worrying in the pickup screen or sludge in the engine, and provided I can still see some cross-hatching and no damage to the cylinder walls.

So, you're going to pull the heads too?

Might be easier said than done without it bolted down (to something like a truck :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:)

Man, every time I've had to remove those head bolts I've had to use 3/4 drive with a cheater bar.

Might be easier said than done without it bolted down (to something like a truck :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:)

Man, every time I've had to remove those head bolts I've had to use 3/4 drive with a cheater bar.

Amen, brother! Man, it took everything I had to get them out of Huck's engine. The oil had turned to coke and they did NOT want to come out.

Amen, brother! Man, it took everything I had to get them out of Huck's engine. The oil had turned to coke and they did NOT want to come out.

Maybe Shaun's just going to check with an endoscope?

Most of us know what 70k looks like inside (as long as it had an air filter)

But if I had tried to crack those bolts on a stand I would have ended up underneath it.

Maybe Shaun's just going to check with an endoscope?

Most of us know what 70k looks like inside (as long as it had an air filter)

But if I had tried to crack those bolts on a stand I would have ended up underneath it.

1...2...3...4...5! FIVE tires!

Ah ha ha ha ha!

CE63C657-F271-4E4E-BEDA-A857F6EE219E.jpeg.e5c939715e86b4b882d37da533a25ce6.jpeg