Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

After being unloaded (in Maryland), the tire came off in about 5 feet. It was flat and the side walls were rotted. Popped the bead very easily and rolled right on off! I was like, "Oh man, this was a dumb idea!" Anyhow, two new front tires, new gasoline, a whole lotta cleaning, and now it's running. But, I didn't do that just TODAY. Been about 2 weeks since it arrived. Now, just waiting on the DMV to send me registration stickers so I can drive it on the road. I suspect I'll be stimulating the economy a bit with it!

After being unloaded (in Maryland), the tire came off in about 5 feet. It was flat and the side walls were rotted. Popped the bead very easily and rolled right on off! I was like, "Oh man, this was a dumb idea!" Anyhow, two new front tires, new gasoline, a whole lotta cleaning, and now it's running. But, I didn't do that just TODAY. Been about 2 weeks since it arrived. Now, just waiting on the DMV to send me registration stickers so I can drive it on the road. I suspect I'll be stimulating the economy a bit with it!

That's got to knock the wind out of your sails.

Just take it one thing at a time.

Go over it completely and make it safe before you dive into upgrades.

Not to say you shouldn't buy D rated tires to replace those if you're going to be trailering.

What is a Shortbed good for GCVWR?

What are your intentions?

That's got to knock the wind out of your sails.

Just take it one thing at a time.

Go over it completely and make it safe before you dive into upgrades.

Not to say you shouldn't buy D rated tires to replace those if you're going to be trailering.

What is a Shortbed good for GCVWR?

What are your intentions?

The new tires are 235/75R15 XL (2,300 lbs per tire). That is what the door tag indicates to put on the model so, I just went with them to get things back up and running as quick as possible. Definitely want a higher rating on this truck but the price was right to just use them temporarily as I sort this project out.

The 1986 towing guide on this site puts the CGWR of 6,450lbs. Also from this site, under the specifications, the short bed 2wd with the 4.9L weights in at 3404lbs.

I have not found any information that says a short bed or a long bed would lead to different numbers. Of course, the swing arm fulcrum of a trailer could influence the shorter wheelbase a bit more readily (i.e. why a Jeep Wrangler towing capacity is so poor), but in some regards, the long bed weighs 3,520lbs (per this website) which so sorta gives you more capacity because the short bed is 116lbs lighter. I am not an engineer but, I guess this is similar to a 4x4 being heavier and having less towing capacity?

I'm NOT saying it's the right thing, it's just the beauty of fuzzy math...fuzzy math that could get you killed!

Debating changing the rear end to the 3.55 but I want to make sure I also get the "handling/suspension package" correct if I change the rear end. That would bring the CGWR to 7,800lbs.

The new tires are 235/75R15 XL (2,300 lbs per tire). That is what the door tag indicates to put on the model so, I just went with them to get things back up and running as quick as possible. Definitely want a higher rating on this truck but the price was right to just use them temporarily as I sort this project out.

The 1986 towing guide on this site puts the CGWR of 6,450lbs. Also from this site, under the specifications, the short bed 2wd with the 4.9L weights in at 3404lbs.

I have not found any information that says a short bed or a long bed would lead to different numbers. Of course, the swing arm fulcrum of a trailer could influence the shorter wheelbase a bit more readily (i.e. why a Jeep Wrangler towing capacity is so poor), but in some regards, the long bed weighs 3,520lbs (per this website) which so sorta gives you more capacity because the short bed is 116lbs lighter. I am not an engineer but, I guess this is similar to a 4x4 being heavier and having less towing capacity?

I'm NOT saying it's the right thing, it's just the beauty of fuzzy math...fuzzy math that could get you killed!

Debating changing the rear end to the 3.55 but I want to make sure I also get the "handling/suspension package" correct if I change the rear end. That would bring the CGWR to 7,800lbs.

Gave up on my Carter YFA today and bought a new one.

Truck running very rough, way low idle, sooted-up plugs. Stinking rich. Adjusted the mixture needle valve fully seated and no change In engine speed. It’s getting the fuel from somewhere. Adjusted curb idle all the way in and couldn’t get over 400 rpm.

My own fault for letting the truck sit for six months, but now I could really use it for my commute. I just hope the old gal doesn’t have the Covids.

Gave up on my Carter YFA today and bought a new one.

Truck running very rough, way low idle, sooted-up plugs. Stinking rich. Adjusted the mixture needle valve fully seated and no change In engine speed. It’s getting the fuel from somewhere. Adjusted curb idle all the way in and couldn’t get over 400 rpm.

My own fault for letting the truck sit for six months, but now I could really use it for my commute. I just hope the old gal doesn’t have the Covids.

HB - I'll try to dig up what the handling/suspension package entails. But that won't be until later today or tomorrow as we are taking a trip to decorate graves again today.

Dennis - Are you saying the old YFA had all of those symptoms? Hope so and not the new one. Guessing it is the accelerator pump that's bad on it.

.... I have not found any information that says a short bed or a long bed would lead to different numbers. Of course, the swing arm fulcrum of a trailer could influence the shorter wheelbase a bit more readily (i.e. why a Jeep Wrangler towing capacity is so poor), but in some regards, the long bed weighs 3,520lbs (per this website) which so sorta gives you more capacity because the short bed is 116lbs lighter. I am not an engineer but, I guess this is similar to a 4x4 being heavier and having less towing capacity?

I'm NOT saying it's the right thing, it's just the beauty of fuzzy math...fuzzy math that could get you killed!....

Pretty much all that affects GCWR on Ford trucks of this vintage is engine, trans and axle ratio. Wheelbase, 2WD/4WD, body style, heck, even F-150/F-250/F-250HD/F-350/F-Superduty doesn't seem to affect much! Also not saying it's the right thing, but it is the thing.

(Although I guess I've got to admit, the charts I've seen have only had F-250HD/F-350/F-Superduty, so I suppose the lighter trucks might be rated differently.)

.... I have not found any information that says a short bed or a long bed would lead to different numbers. Of course, the swing arm fulcrum of a trailer could influence the shorter wheelbase a bit more readily (i.e. why a Jeep Wrangler towing capacity is so poor), but in some regards, the long bed weighs 3,520lbs (per this website) which so sorta gives you more capacity because the short bed is 116lbs lighter. I am not an engineer but, I guess this is similar to a 4x4 being heavier and having less towing capacity?

I'm NOT saying it's the right thing, it's just the beauty of fuzzy math...fuzzy math that could get you killed!....

Pretty much all that affects GCWR on Ford trucks of this vintage is engine, trans and axle ratio. Wheelbase, 2WD/4WD, body style, heck, even F-150/F-250/F-250HD/F-350/F-Superduty doesn't seem to affect much! Also not saying it's the right thing, but it is the thing.

(Although I guess I've got to admit, the charts I've seen have only had F-250HD/F-350/F-Superduty, so I suppose the lighter trucks might be rated differently.)

I'd hope so!

Brake size, and power assist v non-assist make a huge difference.

Auto v manual gearbox seems to as well. Though imho a T-19 is a LOT more stout than an AOD.

Certainly 5 v 8 lug wheels (and that stud size) are important!

The ply rating and max air pressure of the tires too.

Truck weight and WB have to be a factor. Sometimes the cart pushes the horse. With a shorter lever, too much tongue weight will tend to lift the steering wheels.

It's the transfer case that's limiting in 4x4

I know, I know. But psychics doesn't change no matter how fuzzy your math, nor how wishful you are.

HB - I'll try to dig up what the handling/suspension package entails. But that won't be until later today or tomorrow as we are taking a trip to decorate graves again today.

Dennis - Are you saying the old YFA had all of those symptoms? Hope so and not the new one. Guessing it is the accelerator pump that's bad on it.

Gary,

Yes that was the old one. Patiently waiting for my package in the mail now. Wrote that last night after battling a big ponderosa pine stump for two days. I was beat. Stump won.

Dennis