Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

I got a note from my junkyard the other day that a 1983 F-100 showed up on the lot...I'm off to check it out. Wish me luck!

Well...it wasn't a complete bust, but neither was it really worth the ~30 mile drive to get down there.

So here's what I found when I arrived:

IMG_1767.jpg.3fa5f2f79ae7838d1abe28d564814b3e.jpg

I was hoping to find some decent interior trim, such as uncracked A-pillar plastic, but no such luck. The truck had clearly been sitting outside unused for years, the interior was pretty much destroyed.

I was also hoping for a 300 engine...turns out it did have a six-cylinder, but it was one of the 3.8L Essex engines that I'd never seen before. Took me a minute to figure out what I was looking at:

IMG_1765.jpg.315b1f23ea80df45a2bebb3fffd5078b.jpg

Mostly so that the trip wouldn't be a complete waste, I grabbed the coolant/windshield fluid reservoir that was in better condition than mine, as well as a couple of taillight bulb sockets. Better than nothing!

I got a note from my junkyard the other day that a 1983 F-100 showed up on the lot...I'm off to check it out. Wish me luck!

Well...it wasn't a complete bust, but neither was it really worth the ~30 mile drive to get down there.

So here's what I found when I arrived:

I was hoping to find some decent interior trim, such as uncracked A-pillar plastic, but no such luck. The truck had clearly been sitting outside unused for years, the interior was pretty much destroyed.

I was also hoping for a 300 engine...turns out it did have a six-cylinder, but it was one of the 3.8L Essex engines that I'd never seen before. Took me a minute to figure out what I was looking at:

Mostly so that the trip wouldn't be a complete waste, I grabbed the coolant/windshield fluid reservoir that was in better condition than mine, as well as a couple of taillight bulb sockets. Better than nothing!

That's the way it goes sometimes. But you have to keep trying.

Interesting that the AC compressor looks bigger than the engine. :nabble_smiley_oh:

That's the way it goes sometimes. But you have to keep trying.

Interesting that the AC compressor looks bigger than the engine. :nabble_smiley_oh:

I came out this morning and my truck was D. E. A. D. dead...

Threw the charger on it for about an hour and a half and then headed off to do some errands.

Not charging at idle.

I'll have to dig in when the rain stops.

Threw the charger on it for about an hour and a half and then headed off to do some errands.

Not charging at idle.

If it isn't charging at idle, does that mean there's enough of a draw that the alternator can't keep up? You have a voltmeter, so you are judging "not charging" from "12.8v" or so. Right?

Apparently my missing tires decided to take the scenic route to get here, and are currently in California. Estimated delivery is now a week from today. :nabble_smiley_sad:

My last two tires are still on the move. So far their routing has been:

South Bend IN

Chicago IL

Bloomington CA

Grants NM

Henryetta OK

That puts them on I-40, so I'm expecting Memphis, then maybe Birmingham and then Atlanta. Here's hoping...

Not charging at idle.

The exact same thing happened to me. It's my daily, so I won't get into to much detail, but I couldn't get it going with the charger. I didn't charge it for long before I tried the emergency start function(50amps), still no joy(it's the 2/10/50 charger from HF and probably just doesn't work properly). I got lights to work while charging at 10amps, but as soon as I turned over to run(even before start), nothing, everything including the voltmeter goes dead! I'm hoping it's just a bad battery.:nabble_anim_confused: I gave up and took the wife's car to run errands. Which included coincidentally picking up a battery from Walmart for Eddy. I had to buy it online as they have the auto section closed off in our Walmart. So I couldn't even get one for the Toyota at the same time. I'm not buying one at Autozone again, it's where the one in there now is from and it's only been 3 years... And it's 2.5 times the price!

The exact same thing happened to me. It's my daily, so I won't get into to much detail, but I couldn't get it going with the charger. I didn't charge it for long before I tried the emergency start function(50amps), still no joy(it's the 2/10/50 charger from HF and probably just doesn't work properly). I got lights to work while charging at 10amps, but as soon as I turned over to run(even before start), nothing, everything including the voltmeter goes dead! I'm hoping it's just a bad battery.:nabble_anim_confused: I gave up and took the wife's car to run errands. Which included coincidentally picking up a battery from Walmart for Eddy. I had to buy it online as they have the auto section closed off in our Walmart. So I couldn't even get one for the Toyota at the same time. I'm not buying one at Autozone again, it's where the one in there now is from and it's only been 3 years... And it's 2.5 times the price!

My battery is pretty new!

But it was stone dead, and they don't like to come back from that.

If it was an older non-sealed type I might try something.....

Like fresh acid, or EDTA.

If it isn't charging at idle, does that mean there's enough of a draw that the alternator can't keep up? You have a voltmeter, so you are judging "not charging" from "12.8v" or so. Right?

My truck has a voltmeter -and- an idiot light Gary.

The light is just the lg/r exciter wire, so it can read power passing either way, just the potential lights it up.

I put my Fluke on the battery and see fluctuations mostly between 12.25-12.6.

Low at idle, higher when I hold it revved up.

Maybe my LRC bit the dust because I didn't let it charge long enough?

I'll have to try tomorrow to ground the regulator, and see if it will really kick in.

I have the cable off and charger on for now.

This is really kicking my butt.

I get emotionally exhausted and just want to go to sleep.

No rain on Sunday, hopefully.

My truck has a voltmeter -and- an idiot light Gary.

The light is just the lg/r exciter wire, so it can read power passing either way, just the potential lights it up.

I put my Fluke on the battery and see fluctuations mostly between 12.25-12.6.

Low at idle, higher when I hold it revved up.

Maybe my LRC bit the dust because I didn't let it charge long enough?

I'll have to try tomorrow to ground the regulator, and see if it will really kick in.

I have the cable off and charger on for now.

This is really kicking my butt.

I get emotionally exhausted and just want to go to sleep.

No rain on Sunday, hopefully.

Yes, the LRC might have something to do with it. And grounding the regulator is a good plan.