Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

You mean physically run a wire from the metal sleeve with an eyelet to ground? That can be done just have to figure out how to attach the pigtail to the metal sleeve. I just know I want to run some shielding as I know the alternator by having a main battery wire near the power wires for the cb and cb amp can introduce interference as noise. im sure the fuel pump power wire will do the same thing.

Thinking is instead of running my wires bundled to keep noisy wires away it would be better to run the shielding on just the wires that are at risk then I can place the shielded wires with the other wires in one loom.

For applications where the shield does not band to the connectors, typically there is a plastic or metal "barrel" that goes around your wire or cable that the metal EMI braid sits on top of. Then you strip your ground wire or wires and use a metal band to clamp around the wire/braid/barrel making the connection. Then ground your wire to chassis.

Capture.png.d7742d87b0c7c21099c7588ead993b64.png

You mean physically run a wire from the metal sleeve with an eyelet to ground? That can be done just have to figure out how to attach the pigtail to the metal sleeve. I just know I want to run some shielding as I know the alternator by having a main battery wire near the power wires for the cb and cb amp can introduce interference as noise. im sure the fuel pump power wire will do the same thing.

Thinking is instead of running my wires bundled to keep noisy wires away it would be better to run the shielding on just the wires that are at risk then I can place the shielded wires with the other wires in one loom.

For applications where the shield does not band to the connectors, typically there is a plastic or metal "barrel" that goes around your wire or cable that the metal EMI braid sits on top of. Then you strip your ground wire or wires and use a metal band to clamp around the wire/braid/barrel making the connection. Then ground your wire to chassis.

And would that stop EMI that can cause interference in electronics such as hum/buzzing being introduced into wiring for CB radios or such as interference with my aftermarket fuel injection that can cause issues with operation?

That is my only concern with trying to shield some wires is to try and prevent any kind of issues with my aftermarket fuel injection or my CB.

Interesting. What about shields that have a ground at one end and a cap at the other? I think I've read about them. I thought the idea was to prevent ground loops but still have a connection at the other end.

I wrote a good reply to this lol but my computer crashed and I lost it. I don't have the willpower to redo it but this is an excellent thing to discuss. You will see many schools of thought on the merits of both methods. Ill try to jump back on tonight and type it out again.

And would that stop EMI that can cause interference in electronics such as hum/buzzing being introduced into wiring for CB radios or such as interference with my aftermarket fuel injection that can cause issues with operation?

That is my only concern with trying to shield some wires is to try and prevent any kind of issues with my aftermarket fuel injection or my CB.

It would work, but may be Overkill.

Do you currently have any interference issues? If not I don't think I would worry about it. If you do can you relocate your wiring to prevent it.

Also another possible method that could be easier and cheaper is a guard wire install instead of a shield. Basically you run a ground wire along with the cable to soak up that emi.

It would work, but may be Overkill.

Do you currently have any interference issues? If not I don't think I would worry about it. If you do can you relocate your wiring to prevent it.

Also another possible method that could be easier and cheaper is a guard wire install instead of a shield. Basically you run a ground wire along with the cable to soak up that emi.

I haven't installed the fuel injection yet. Im doing a bunch of wiring upgrades to my aftermarket wiring by making it all into one nice harness. I know I have a little noise in my CB that requires me to turn the squelch up a little higher than if the truck is off. That is why I was thinking of doing the wiring on that since I will have the fuel pump power wire coming out of the same auxiliary fuse box that the CB will be wired into.

The fuel injection I am kind of worried about it as the ECU is mounted on the passengerside of the throttlebody and my coil is situated on the passengerside intake manifold. That might cause me a problem but I don't think it will as Ive installed snipers with the front mounted ECU on fords with no problem before. Im just thinking ahead since I will be making a new harness and wraping all my OE and aftermarket harnesses with the woven mesh loom material to clean everything up

Interesting. What about shields that have a ground at one end and a cap at the other? I think I've read about them. I thought the idea was to prevent ground loops but still have a connection at the other end.

Unfortunately I can't ask my electrical engineer as he departed May 22nd 2009. He would definitely have known how best to handle it. I could possible pose the question to my former manager who was a USAF Instrumentation tech or possibly one of my former Lab Rat co-workers who dealt with strain gauging and shielding the signal leads.

As for my truck, I replaced the wiper blades today as they were pretty bad.

Unfortunately I can't ask my electrical engineer as he departed May 22nd 2009. He would definitely have known how best to handle it. I could possible pose the question to my former manager who was a USAF Instrumentation tech or possibly one of my former Lab Rat co-workers who dealt with strain gauging and shielding the signal leads.

As for my truck, I replaced the wiper blades today as they were pretty bad.

I got the front end back on my truck today.

Unfortunately while I had the DS door off for new pins, bushings and a plug in my speaker wires so it's not such a pain to remove it I managed to drop the clip nut that holds the rear of the fender deep down inside. 😖

Raining again today...

I'll have to take the bolt to the hardware tomorrow.

Gaaah! I hate having lost all my hardware when I moved out of my old storage.

I got the front end back on my truck today.

Unfortunately while I had the DS door off for new pins, bushings and a plug in my speaker wires so it's not such a pain to remove it I managed to drop the clip nut that holds the rear of the fender deep down inside. 😖

Raining again today...

I'll have to take the bolt to the hardware tomorrow.

Gaaah! I hate having lost all my hardware when I moved out of my old storage.

Bummer! I hate it when I drop a fastener and can't find it. Happened yesterday for a while. Dropped one of the 8 x 1.25 mm bolts that go into the valve cover for the dip stick stay. Finally found it hiding in the frame, but it took a long time. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Good luck!

Bummer! I hate it when I drop a fastener and can't find it. Happened yesterday for a while. Dropped one of the 8 x 1.25 mm bolts that go into the valve cover for the dip stick stay. Finally found it hiding in the frame, but it took a long time. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Good luck!

Took this photo the other day. It snowed today!!!

20200505_164127.jpg.8f2ed32a11ddc409b03bd5f8301e870e.jpg