Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

They should be, but, the hole looks pretty funky around the edge of the tube, like maybe it got the threads chewed up?

AllData shows the following PNs for 460 pans:

1983-88 E7UZ-6675-A (1977 Bronco maybe originally)

1989-92 E9TZ-6675-B (should still be screw in, parts truck was)

1993-97 F3TZ-6675-A (push-in tube with clip and O-ring)

Hope this helps, I couldn't find the 1990 dipstick and tube, but maybe I did, just didn't recognize it as there was no nut on it, just a straight section and a "bulge" on it like would press into a block or timing cover.

I’ll try to pull the dip stick tomorrow to answer the question. And if I can’t get the nut off without tearing something up, which I don’t want to do, at least I’ll get a good closeup of the hole.

But that E7 number in a 1987 part, not 1977. So it is a retrofit back to 1983, and they apparently dropped the original E3 part number out of AllData, and maybe the catalog. I’ll take a look at the catalog tomorrow to see what I can find.

As for your part truck’s dip stick tube, I think you did find it - and it is just like the one on my parts truck. No ferrule and no nut. So, were they pressed in? We shall see manana.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I’ll try to pull the dip stick tomorrow to answer the question. And if I can’t get the nut off without tearing something up, which I don’t want to do, at least I’ll get a good closeup of the hole.

But that E7 number in a 1987 part, not 1977. So it is a retrofit back to 1983, and they apparently dropped the original E3 part number out of AllData, and maybe the catalog. I’ll take a look at the catalog tomorrow to see what I can find.

As for your part truck’s dip stick tube, I think you did find it - and it is just like the one on my parts truck. No ferrule and no nut. So, were they pressed in? We shall see manana.

My '87 truck definitely has a 5/8 line nut on there.

Looks like someone tried to get the leak to stop and tore the threaded portion right off

Bill - I may have to wait until I pull the engine, but here's a cropped image of the pic above and I don't see any threads. Wouldn't they be visible in this pic?

Jim, Gary and Bill,

I, for one, really appreciate how all of you work together! It is an example of why we need this forum... not only for forum members, but for the "world" of 1980-1986 enthusiasts.

We have a fine balance of the desire to authenticate originality and provide details of what can work as an upgrade to our aged trucks.

Thanks to all three of you and please keep it up for the rest of us. :nabble_anim_claps:

Jim, Gary and Bill,

I, for one, really appreciate how all of you work together! It is an example of why we need this forum... not only for forum members, but for the "world" of 1980-1986 enthusiasts.

We have a fine balance of the desire to authenticate originality and provide details of what can work as an upgrade to our aged trucks.

Thanks to all three of you and please keep it up for the rest of us. :nabble_anim_claps:

Jim - I’ll try to determine what I have today. But does the push-in style just pull out?

David - Thanks. But in this case it is Jim and Bill graciously helping a newbie. I have a hard time even typing “460” as it keeps coming out “400”. So they are kindly educating me. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Jim - I’ll try to determine what I have today. But does the push-in style just pull out?

David - Thanks. But in this case it is Jim and Bill graciously helping a newbie. I have a hard time even typing “460” as it keeps coming out “400”. So they are kindly educating me. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Well, I'm not going to get the dip stick tube out very easily while the engine is in the huck (half-truck). So, I think I'll discontinue my efforts to do so until the engine is on the stand, and then it should be much easier.

However, I did take a higher-def pic and then cropped it for your viewing pleasure. And I don't see any signs of threads.

1990s_Dip_Stick_Tube_High_Def_-_Cropped.thumb.jpg.76937b98a1eed391011d7ef984059668.jpg

Also, I started the Engine/385 Series page with the oil pan info. Bill, you said:

Here's what Ford's catalog says:

Oil_Pan_Header.jpg.93e5860e4884e64250dff908b4c7a601.jpg

Oil_Pan_Numbers_to_1989.jpg.fee926efd45bc040cfe8d9676619cbe5.jpg

Well, I'm not going to get the dip stick tube out very easily while the engine is in the huck (half-truck). So, I think I'll discontinue my efforts to do so until the engine is on the stand, and then it should be much easier.

However, I did take a higher-def pic and then cropped it for your viewing pleasure. And I don't see any signs of threads.

Also, I started the Engine/385 Series page with the oil pan info. Bill, you said:

Here's what Ford's catalog says:

As for what I did to my huck, got the dash out w/o cutting wires - I think:

DSCN2602.thumb.jpg.a10d55109ea673e8b9a461a9ccc5995a.jpg

But, on the front bumper, there was a teeny bit of cutting. This thing is made of 8" x 3/16" channel, and it is every bit of what I want to pick up. :nabble_smiley_scared:

DSCN2603.thumb.jpg.e3fe540c270f3be3c94d73fbf07a3cfa.jpg

But, on the front bumper, there was a teeny bit of cutting. This thing is made of 8" x 3/16" channel, and it is every bit of what I want to pick up. :nabble_smiley_scared:

Gary, I'm trying to find time and a scale to get your parts sorted and back to FedEx.

Sorry, things have been really busy.

Gary, that steering column, if you put the earlier bracket and switch on it, should fit "Dad's Truck" just fine and give you the proper quadrant for the E4OD trans. I assume you found the dash OD switch in it also.

Gary, that steering column, if you put the earlier bracket and switch on it, should fit "Dad's Truck" just fine and give you the proper quadrant for the E4OD trans. I assume you found the dash OD switch in it also.

Bill - Yes, I can use the bracket and switch, but why not use an OD indicator from an AOD? I have one that will fit Dad's column perfectly.

As for the OD switch, I have it and the bezel. The bezel for the switch itself is 2 1/2 x 2 1/2", and the area on the Bullnose instrument bezel where the fog light would have gone is 2 3/4" tall and 3" wide. :nabble_smiley_good:

DSCN2605.thumb.jpg.f0c97be02e3288aa59304b6d9cb78034.jpg