Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Can the Atomic EFI be deadheaded? without a return of any kind your pressure will spike unless you are running a regulated fuel pump that has a built in fuel pump regulator or you are wiring it up to some kind of fuel pump control module that will vary the current to the pump to maintain proper fuel pressure.

It can be dead headed if you use a pulse-type fuel pump, in their included instructions it gives you options and part numbers of various pumps including their own brand that is compatible with the unit itself. That is what we opted to do since the tanks and sending units are new. It actually comes with a plug for the return port on the throttle body.

The relays for the pumps are on a module tied in with the ignition, so when the key comes on the pump currently selected primes for 5 seconds before starting. I'm hoping this cures all the cold start issues as that has been a nightmare with this Holley 4160 lately.

Nice. I wish that was an option on the holley sniper to eliminate a return and pressure regulator.

Im hopeful that I wont have any hot restart issues, I have them with my current 2V carb, and I got a 1" phenolic spacer since I wont be running the EGR valve to help insulate the carb to help prevent hot restart problems but I still think even with a 4V I would still have the same problem so I am hopeful the Sniper EFI will prevent any problems like that.

I just hope running the Magnaflow Y pipe with the pre cat and cat wont cause a problem. I figured having an EVAP circuit to purge fumes wouldn't cause a problem as the 02 sensor could adjust for any fumes to maintain proper fuel ratio. But the converters I am not sure about I know holley says not to run it with emission systems.

Nice. I wish that was an option on the holley sniper to eliminate a return and pressure regulator.

Im hopeful that I wont have any hot restart issues, I have them with my current 2V carb, and I got a 1" phenolic spacer since I wont be running the EGR valve to help insulate the carb to help prevent hot restart problems but I still think even with a 4V I would still have the same problem so I am hopeful the Sniper EFI will prevent any problems like that.

I just hope running the Magnaflow Y pipe with the pre cat and cat wont cause a problem. I figured having an EVAP circuit to purge fumes wouldn't cause a problem as the 02 sensor could adjust for any fumes to maintain proper fuel ratio. But the converters I am not sure about I know holley says not to run it with emission systems.

That was a big reason why we went with the MSD over the Holley, other than the fact Holley tech support had absolutely no idea how to set it up like this, and they were telling us the only options we had were to use a high pressure factory replacement style selector valve and we had to modify everything with a return. Going with the MSD, we were able to dead head it and use our factory style sending units and returnless tanks, and we figured out how to run dual tanks without spending $600 on another selector valve. We looked at Fitech also, but their customer support is awful.

Never really had any issues with hot restarted, its always given us trouble cold though. Even had a heat shield on it and a spacer, but now we are just going with a 2" phenolic spacer.

This MSD system will operate with or without converters, they give you a hole saw bit to drill a hole in your pipe with a plate that has a welded bung on it and 2 clamps to clamp it to your exhaust; no welding necessary. The exhaust on his truck has a gnarly leak at the manifold though, so that needs to be fixed, either that or put the bung in the crossover pipe since they are true duals.

That was a big reason why we went with the MSD over the Holley, other than the fact Holley tech support had absolutely no idea how to set it up like this, and they were telling us the only options we had were to use a high pressure factory replacement style selector valve and we had to modify everything with a return. Going with the MSD, we were able to dead head it and use our factory style sending units and returnless tanks, and we figured out how to run dual tanks without spending $600 on another selector valve. We looked at Fitech also, but their customer support is awful.

Never really had any issues with hot restarted, its always given us trouble cold though. Even had a heat shield on it and a spacer, but now we are just going with a 2" phenolic spacer.

This MSD system will operate with or without converters, they give you a hole saw bit to drill a hole in your pipe with a plate that has a welded bung on it and 2 clamps to clamp it to your exhaust; no welding necessary. The exhaust on his truck has a gnarly leak at the manifold though, so that needs to be fixed, either that or put the bung in the crossover pipe since they are true duals.

Never had a problem cold start. press throttle to floor once hit key and the engines running before you can let off the key. hot restarts how ever you have to crank on it like 2 seconds then lightly touch the throttle for it to fire up. If you don't touch the throttle you have to crank nearly 30 seconds before it will start up and struggle to idle till it clears out.

It has to do with fuel evaporating out of the bowl and flooding the aircleaner with raw fumes.

I probably wouldn't have a problem with the 4V considering the heads I have doesn't even have an exhaust cross over in the first place. But I think fuel injection is still the way to go.

FiTech I would avoid, we used to use them but stopped after everyone we installed came back with injectors hanging open dumping raw fuel into the engine. We also had everyone that had to call in to get a walk through to solve problems as their instructions are crap on tune up and when you do call them good luck youll be on hold for an hour or so.

On holley I never had to call but the guy I am going to get my sniper from he is trained by holley and is a seller and purchasing from him I get a free 2 year tech support from him for any problems I have with setting mine up. I shouldn't need it but its a nice thing to have as there is always a first time for problems.

Death wheel? Meaning a cutoff wheel?

I like the foam idea. And I'm sure you know there are at least two varieties - low expansion and lotsa expansion. The former is more dense and harder to cut out due to having fewer bubbles. The latter makes a bigger mess but is easier to get out.

There's also 'Pest Block' foam in the green can.

It's supposed to prevent vermin from gnawing or burrowing into it.

Not as good as my personal idea of using cyanide in the blowing agent to kill them at first nibble, but it will have to do....

Never had a problem cold start. press throttle to floor once hit key and the engines running before you can let off the key. hot restarts how ever you have to crank on it like 2 seconds then lightly touch the throttle for it to fire up. If you don't touch the throttle you have to crank nearly 30 seconds before it will start up and struggle to idle till it clears out.

It has to do with fuel evaporating out of the bowl and flooding the aircleaner with raw fumes.

I probably wouldn't have a problem with the 4V considering the heads I have doesn't even have an exhaust cross over in the first place. But I think fuel injection is still the way to go.

FiTech I would avoid, we used to use them but stopped after everyone we installed came back with injectors hanging open dumping raw fuel into the engine. We also had everyone that had to call in to get a walk through to solve problems as their instructions are crap on tune up and when you do call them good luck youll be on hold for an hour or so.

On holley I never had to call but the guy I am going to get my sniper from he is trained by holley and is a seller and purchasing from him I get a free 2 year tech support from him for any problems I have with setting mine up. I shouldn't need it but its a nice thing to have as there is always a first time for problems.

The choke on this thing works when it feels like it. Sometimes, it will fire right up with one pump, other times, we are cranking the snot out of it pumping the pedal like a wild man, and until its up to temp refuses to run right and constantly revving it up to "clean it out" if you know what I mean. Its not so bad in the summer, but definitely awful in the winter months. I love my Holleys, but damn if my Edelbrock didn't even need a pump with no choke even on it and it would fire. This is a very old pre-restoration video from 2015, and was a brutally cold winter day (cranked slow cause of it). This is basically what it does to this very day, not quite as bad (it doesn't spit and sputter upon firing anymore), but still the point stands. Notice how Dad is stabbing that throttle, something that always has to be done with that dang carb.

While other times, fires right up:

Yes we avoided Fitech because the reviews on their support and overall worth seemed lackluster.

The choke on this thing works when it feels like it. Sometimes, it will fire right up with one pump, other times, we are cranking the snot out of it pumping the pedal like a wild man, and until its up to temp refuses to run right and constantly revving it up to "clean it out" if you know what I mean. Its not so bad in the summer, but definitely awful in the winter months. I love my Holleys, but damn if my Edelbrock didn't even need a pump with no choke even on it and it would fire. This is a very old pre-restoration video from 2015, and was a brutally cold winter day (cranked slow cause of it). This is basically what it does to this very day, not quite as bad (it doesn't spit and sputter upon firing anymore), but still the point stands. Notice how Dad is stabbing that throttle, something that always has to be done with that dang carb.

While other times, fires right up:

Yes we avoided Fitech because the reviews on their support and overall worth seemed lackluster.

That's one thing I didn't like about my 2V in cold weather the choke would take forever to come off. It didn't hurt the engine running, just consumed extra fuel resulting in me getting 10 mpg city in winter compared to my 12 mpg city in summer.

That's why I feel the sniper upgrade is a plus for me cause I am going to try and see if my 306 will idle smoothly at the OE spec of 575 rpm. Part of me doesn't think my aftermarket roller cam would be able to idle smoothly that low but if it does that's what my goal is. Then if I can get into the computer I want to set the step up idle speed when the AC is on to be OE spec of 650 rpm this coupled with a 2,000 - 2,500 rpm stall Hughes tow converter should result in a nice silky smooth engagement into gear and no hard pull when sitting at a light.

That's one thing I didn't like about my 2V in cold weather the choke would take forever to come off. It didn't hurt the engine running, just consumed extra fuel resulting in me getting 10 mpg city in winter compared to my 12 mpg city in summer.

This tank gets a whopping 6 miles a gallon no matter what I do to it. Doesn't matter if I have the 35s on it or stock wheels, choke or no choke, thing just gets garbage gas mileage period.

By comparison, my "built-ish" Modified with an Edelbrock 1406 and choke removed completely, no priming. Language warning, I drop an F bomb.

I know it's not really a fair comparison, but I've never had a Holley run so bad in my life. Even after putting a quick change kit on it for the secondaries, it still is just a DOG. That idle quality with the Windsor is the other thing too, sometimes it is super smooth when that carb wants to run nice and other times it sounds like its got a RV cam in it (it kinda does but way lumpier).

This tank gets a whopping 6 miles a gallon no matter what I do to it. Doesn't matter if I have the 35s on it or stock wheels, choke or no choke, thing just gets garbage gas mileage period.

By comparison, my "built-ish" Modified with an Edelbrock 1406 and choke removed completely, no priming. Language warning, I drop an F bomb.

I know it's not really a fair comparison, but I've never had a Holley run so bad in my life. Even after putting a quick change kit on it for the secondaries, it still is just a DOG. That idle quality with the Windsor is the other thing too, sometimes it is super smooth when that carb wants to run nice and other times it sounds like its got a RV cam in it (it kinda does but way lumpier).

I blame the fuel we have today. My truck before this ethanol blended fuel came about I was getting around 15/16 mpg city. Once they switched to the ethanol blended fuels I couldn't get over 12 mpg city. No change in driving styles, no change in the truck, just a fuel change.

I know every aftermarket fuel injection ive installed it seems like the engines idled way smoother and ran generally better than the carb that was on it. I don't know what it is, I wont attempt to figure it out. Its just one of those things I think carbs have became bad because of the fuel we have that the carbs just cant work properly with.

Im fighting the same thing with my Holley 4000 on my '56 Fairlane, one day it runs great, idles smooth in gear and another day it just runs slightly rougher then it gets to the point that its always rough running and I am still trying to figure out if its the fuel or the battery. Car runs way better now with the petronix ignitor in the distributor. But draining the tank and fresh gas seems to make a difference but so does charging the battery. So might be a compounded issue but I never have had to adjust the carb since I installed it though.

For something I intend to drive every day and I want to be dependable and not give me any troubles especially considering after I get the property we have finished and make my move, all my driving will be highway driving so I need the truck to be able to truck on down the highway doing atleast 75 mph and A) not suck the tank dry like a alcoholic and B) not change from day to day performance wise.

I blame the fuel we have today. My truck before this ethanol blended fuel came about I was getting around 15/16 mpg city. Once they switched to the ethanol blended fuels I couldn't get over 12 mpg city. No change in driving styles, no change in the truck, just a fuel change.

I know every aftermarket fuel injection ive installed it seems like the engines idled way smoother and ran generally better than the carb that was on it. I don't know what it is, I wont attempt to figure it out. Its just one of those things I think carbs have became bad because of the fuel we have that the carbs just cant work properly with.

Im fighting the same thing with my Holley 4000 on my '56 Fairlane, one day it runs great, idles smooth in gear and another day it just runs slightly rougher then it gets to the point that its always rough running and I am still trying to figure out if its the fuel or the battery. Car runs way better now with the petronix ignitor in the distributor. But draining the tank and fresh gas seems to make a difference but so does charging the battery. So might be a compounded issue but I never have had to adjust the carb since I installed it though.

For something I intend to drive every day and I want to be dependable and not give me any troubles especially considering after I get the property we have finished and make my move, all my driving will be highway driving so I need the truck to be able to truck on down the highway doing atleast 75 mph and A) not suck the tank dry like a alcoholic and B) not change from day to day performance wise.

That may have something to do with it as well. 87 ethanol in the 85, 93 non-ethanol in the 79.

That may have something to do with it as well. 87 ethanol in the 85, 93 non-ethanol in the 79.

Yep I want to run the 93 ethanol free fuel once I move in all my vehicles just to get away from the ethanol but the only station close that sells it, the ethanol free 93 is pushing $2.90 a gallon which I just don't want to pay.

Nice thing is with the sniper I can go into the setting and select E85 and run my '82 on E85. I bet that would cause a bunch of shocked looks seeing a old truck being pumped full of E85 lol.