Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Rusty, Ford's vacuum colors were pretty universal.

Red is manifold vacuum.

Green is EGR & emissions

White is ported vacuum

Etc..

I know Gary has a bunch of routing/compliance stickers archived here.

It shouldn't take much to find what you need.

I know that mine and Bill's look more like a bowl of tri-colore spaghetti than a diagram.

See on mine I don't even see what could have been red on mine. I could use red for manifold vacuum based off how its hooked up.

On mine it looks like I have Yellow, White, Green, and some unknown color.

Looks like vacuum from carb is white for ported to a switch which then is green from the switch to the vacuum advance.

Thing is on my truck the plastic line that still exist for my vacuum advance is not green but is actually white indicating ported vacuum.

Might have to just look at my layout and use colors based off the plastic tubing even though I am seriously thinking about switching to just straight vacuum hose, unless I can get universal vacuum line in colors. Lots of my circuits will be removed vacuum wise for my new engine and lots of the vacuum switches has double ports and I hate breaking up the OE stuff over simply replacing with regular hose.

Going way back to the "blind man" line, my grandpa was the one I heard it from. His version was ""I see" said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw", leaving out anything about the deaf wife (or dog, or whoever). It was also delivered in a thick Swedish accent. He died in the mid '70s, so it's been a while!

Gary, on the Bronco brakes, I've been plugging along. I was planning on an update this weekend, but since you asked...

I got the two hoses for the GMC Safari hydroboost (pump to booster and booster to steering gear) and a pump to gear hose for a '70s F-series. I then cut them apart and duct taped the Ford pump end in place of the pump end on the first GMC hose and the Ford gear end in place of the gear end of that GMC hose. Then I had two hoses that would actually fit and connect at both ends. But the duct tape wouldn't hold much pressure!

So I took those to an industrial hose shop and they attached new hose to the ends, keeping the length I had set and keeping the clocking on one of the two hoses :nabble_smiley_unhappy:. I ended up having to rebend one metal end on the hose they clocked wrong, but it's in now.

I added a cooler to the return line from the steering gear and a "T" at the pump inlet to take the lines from the cooler and the booster. So now the power steering fluid side of the plumbing is done.

Last weekend I started working on the brake lines. I have most of what I need to put that together. I'm hoping to get it buttoned up this weekend. At that point it should be driveable again!

(Sorry, no pictures this time. I'll add some after I get the brake lines done.)

Well today was supposed to be running brake lines on the Bronco. But sometimes plans need to be flexible! My parents decided to go up to their cabin today. They are in their upper 80s and while they get around pretty well, "pretty well" in your upper 80s isn't really all that good. So Lesley and I went up too. We were able to get the water going (had been shut down for the winter) and get a dock in, as well as talk with my folks a bit (we aren't seeing them much with the Covid stuff, but we drove up separately and were able to maintain proper physical distancing on the deck).

Then we decided to pull my parents travel trailer home to try to find where the mice are getting in. The bottom of the trailer is covered with a poly tarp that has plenty of places mice can get through, so I'm hoping when I cut that off I'll see holes in the structure that i can cover up. Sliding around on the gravel at the cabin to do that didn't appeal to me, but in my driveway I can roll around on a creeper. Of course that puts their 32'(?) trailer next to my 28' motorhome, so that can't last for long. Now the Bronco needs to sit until the trailer is back up at their cabin. Hopefully that will just be a week or two.

(edit to add: It's actually a 28' trailer for what that's worth. Still, a 28' trailer and a 28' motorhome fill up a suburban driveway pretty well!)

Anyway, although I didn't get to work ON any trucks, I did get to work WITH one. Here we are parked in the street across from my house after we got home.

DSC_0367.jpg.05457129563e2418d5a4487e25fa0928.jpg

And here I get to play with the front receiver to try to get it suffed in right next to the motorhome (you can just barely see the billowing white cover over the motorhome if you look over the top of the trailer). And even with the control and precision of pushing a trailer off a front receiver it still took three tries before I was able to get it turned into the driveway without hitting the motorhome (the motorhome is about a foot away from the right side of the trailer now).

DSC_0368.jpg.d9e06df8f01a2eda3caa6d8ff2fe2e81.jpg

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/WHYDTYTT-What-Have-You-Done-To-Your-Truck-Today-tp148p58204.html

Well today was supposed to be running brake lines on the Bronco. But sometimes plans need to be flexible! My parents decided to go up to their cabin today. They are in their upper 80s and while they get around pretty well, "pretty well" in your upper 80s isn't really all that good. So Lesley and I went up too. We were able to get the water going (had been shut down for the winter) and get a dock in, as well as talk with my folks a bit (we aren't seeing them much with the Covid stuff, but we drove up separately and were able to maintain proper physical distancing on the deck).

Then we decided to pull my parents travel trailer home to try to find where the mice are getting in. The bottom of the trailer is covered with a poly tarp that has plenty of places mice can get through, so I'm hoping when I cut that off I'll see holes in the structure that i can cover up. Sliding around on the gravel at the cabin to do that didn't appeal to me, but in my driveway I can roll around on a creeper. Of course that puts their 32'(?) trailer next to my 28' motorhome, so that can't last for long. Now the Bronco needs to sit until the trailer is back up at their cabin. Hopefully that will just be a week or two.

(edit to add: It's actually a 28' trailer for what that's worth. Still, a 28' trailer and a 28' motorhome fill up a suburban driveway pretty well!)

Anyway, although I didn't get to work ON any trucks, I did get to work WITH one. Here we are parked in the street across from my house after we got home.

And here I get to play with the front receiver to try to get it suffed in right next to the motorhome (you can just barely see the billowing white cover over the motorhome if you look over the top of the trailer). And even with the control and precision of pushing a trailer off a front receiver it still took three tries before I was able to get it turned into the driveway without hitting the motorhome (the motorhome is about a foot away from the right side of the trailer now).

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/WHYDTYTT-What-Have-You-Done-To-Your-Truck-Today-tp148p58204.html

Rusty - If you convert your project into a pdf via Photoshop you can then embed it in a post here with excellent detail. If you want I can walk you through it. But, I like what you are doing! :nabble_anim_claps:

Bob - Glad to see that they can get around well into their 80's. Both that they are doing well and that the 80's aren't that bad. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I'm sure they'll be appreciative of your work on their trailer. But I understand needing it at your house rather than at the cabin. Access to the right tools, smooth concrete, etc makes all the difference.

And there will be time for the Bronco. I'm sure of that.

Rusty - If you convert your project into a pdf via Photoshop you can then embed it in a post here with excellent detail. If you want I can walk you through it. But, I like what you are doing! :nabble_anim_claps:

Bob - Glad to see that they can get around well into their 80's. Both that they are doing well and that the 80's aren't that bad. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I'm sure they'll be appreciative of your work on their trailer. But I understand needing it at your house rather than at the cabin. Access to the right tools, smooth concrete, etc makes all the difference.

And there will be time for the Bronco. I'm sure of that.

I can save it as a PDF file once I flatten the image.

Anyways I spent about 2 hours adding these pieces of the vacuum hose diagram. Going to have to figure out how I will go about adding the components that are not part of the Mustang system such as the A/CL CWM sensor for the cold air or hot air intake.

1982_F150_Emission_Decal_-_wip_4_Resized.bmp

On a side note, I might be reverting the catalyst removal cause the Y pipe and converter piece from Magnaflow I am reading has a built in pre cat in the location where the left and right header pipes merge. Really sucks cause I truly didn't want to run converters but from what I am hearing having the pre converter and the main converter it should flow better than OE ford converter and shouldn't account to more than 2 to 4 hp. I hope so, I am not spending close to $9,000 in the end for a 306 roller motor with fuel injection just to choke the engine down with emission components in the exhaust.

Anyways I spent about 2 hours adding these pieces of the vacuum hose diagram. Going to have to figure out how I will go about adding the components that are not part of the Mustang system such as the A/CL CWM sensor for the cold air or hot air intake.

On a side note, I might be reverting the catalyst removal cause the Y pipe and converter piece from Magnaflow I am reading has a built in pre cat in the location where the left and right header pipes merge. Really sucks cause I truly didn't want to run converters but from what I am hearing having the pre converter and the main converter it should flow better than OE ford converter and shouldn't account to more than 2 to 4 hp. I hope so, I am not spending close to $9,000 in the end for a 306 roller motor with fuel injection just to choke the engine down with emission components in the exhaust.

609539596.jpg.73b7f92c51b6c5b92e913c4922d25551.jpg

This poor truck has seen better days...

Bolted up dad's old grille and straighted out a little damage from the telephone pole I smoked and bolted some wood to the frame for now. Going to attempt to drive it for time being until my new little Escape comes home with me to inevitably replace this truck. It looks god awful but this truck has served me well. $500 initial cost with 113k miles on her and now has 400,000. She doesn't owe me anything but her days are numbered. I really would hate to get rid of it but its just not cost effective to keep it going and frankly I just don't have the time. Going to to be hard to let it go, there's a lot of memories tied up in her.

4 months later and I'm still upset I made that mistake.

Another 2 hours of work and this is what I have. I am calling it quits for tonight as its midnight. I also have to figure out still how to do some of the components. I saved the A/CL CWM sensor from a document posted on here but when I clipped it and pasted it onto this document im working on it is so tiny I cant even see it. so I think I will have to use the pencil tool and play with the pixel size of the pencil and draw the components as best as I can. Realistically I don't think I need to seeing as my vacuum advance will be connected straight to vacuum vs going through the VR V what ever that is then to some other sensor that isn't named and then straight to manifold vacuum. My idea was to place all the components but just don't attach vacuum lines as my OE decal has the TVS with a line to it but nothing else attached, it also has a DV-TW and VRESER both of which with nothing attached to either.

1982_F150_Emission_Decal_-_wip_5_Resized.bmp

Another 2 hours of work and this is what I have. I am calling it quits for tonight as its midnight. I also have to figure out still how to do some of the components. I saved the A/CL CWM sensor from a document posted on here but when I clipped it and pasted it onto this document im working on it is so tiny I cant even see it. so I think I will have to use the pencil tool and play with the pixel size of the pencil and draw the components as best as I can. Realistically I don't think I need to seeing as my vacuum advance will be connected straight to vacuum vs going through the VR V what ever that is then to some other sensor that isn't named and then straight to manifold vacuum. My idea was to place all the components but just don't attach vacuum lines as my OE decal has the TVS with a line to it but nothing else attached, it also has a DV-TW and VRESER both of which with nothing attached to either.

Angelo - That's sad. But, at some time you have to cut your losses and move in. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Rusty - Is there no way to use the original and put that into the new? Then erase the lines or components you won't be using?

Angelo - That's sad. But, at some time you have to cut your losses and move in. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Rusty - Is there no way to use the original and put that into the new? Then erase the lines or components you won't be using?

Drizzling this morning, rain all day.

Might as well make the best of it.

Perfect for blocking out the filler/primer on my crazed hood.

I used 360 on a rubber block and the two sided sponge Soft Block from Motorguard.

Then I reduced some paint.

I'd bought a gallon of safety red and boxed it with some remnants.

IMG_20200426_091101.jpg.6ed7973255ead94de79f84d1c8f6d537.jpg

Turned out with two gallons of "truck red"

Though I won't add catalyst and CoNap until I'm ready to spray.

IMG_20200426_091108.thumb.jpg.5c4923c296317f771d54754c1f86333b.jpg

The original doesn't have these components that I am in need of. The 82 mustang vacuum hose system for some reason doesn't even have the same features the trucks had. Like the temperature switch for the cold/hot air vacuum motor. The trucks had them but the mustangs didn't. The trucks had some kind of vacuum control switch that uses manifold and ported vacuum to control the vacuum advance which the mustang doesn't have either.

Got a bunch of part numbers for the components that my truck should have, but still haven't found a part number for this vacuum control for the distributor. I know I want to reuse the temperature switch that was used for applying vacuum for the EGR circuit cause it also applied ported vacuum to the evap purge which I do plan to keep even with my EFI.

Think I might have made my life easier with this project. I found a photo of all the different ford vacuum symbols that I can crop out and resize and clean up to work.

ccc12c026e6f04909be2366be526c4b6.thumb.jpg.94ebf053b6d33a9802823515022927ec.jpg

The original doesn't have these components that I am in need of. The 82 mustang vacuum hose system for some reason doesn't even have the same features the trucks had. Like the temperature switch for the cold/hot air vacuum motor. The trucks had them but the mustangs didn't. The trucks had some kind of vacuum control switch that uses manifold and ported vacuum to control the vacuum advance which the mustang doesn't have either.

Got a bunch of part numbers for the components that my truck should have, but still haven't found a part number for this vacuum control for the distributor. I know I want to reuse the temperature switch that was used for applying vacuum for the EGR circuit cause it also applied ported vacuum to the evap purge which I do plan to keep even with my EFI.

Think I might have made my life easier with this project. I found a photo of all the different ford vacuum symbols that I can crop out and resize and clean up to work.

Jim - Did you have any leakage from the rain?

On the paint, that is RED! Looks like you'll be ready to paint when the weather settles down - which doesn't look like it will happen soon.

Rusty - I don't know enough about your truck to help you find the part numbers. I'd have to know the calibration code in order to do that.

But I think the find of the different symbol pictures will be a big help.