Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Going way back to the "blind man" line, my grandpa was the one I heard it from. His version was ""I see" said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw", leaving out anything about the deaf wife (or dog, or whoever). It was also delivered in a thick Swedish accent. He died in the mid '70s, so it's been a while!

Gary, on the Bronco brakes, I've been plugging along. I was planning on an update this weekend, but since you asked...

I got the two hoses for the GMC Safari hydroboost (pump to booster and booster to steering gear) and a pump to gear hose for a '70s F-series. I then cut them apart and duct taped the Ford pump end in place of the pump end on the first GMC hose and the Ford gear end in place of the gear end of that GMC hose. Then I had two hoses that would actually fit and connect at both ends. But the duct tape wouldn't hold much pressure!

So I took those to an industrial hose shop and they attached new hose to the ends, keeping the length I had set and keeping the clocking on one of the two hoses :nabble_smiley_unhappy:. I ended up having to rebend one metal end on the hose they clocked wrong, but it's in now.

I added a cooler to the return line from the steering gear and a "T" at the pump inlet to take the lines from the cooler and the booster. So now the power steering fluid side of the plumbing is done.

Last weekend I started working on the brake lines. I have most of what I need to put that together. I'm hoping to get it buttoned up this weekend. At that point it should be driveable again!

(Sorry, no pictures this time. I'll add some after I get the brake lines done.)

Good update, thanks. As my father was wont to say, two steps forward and one backward is still progress. And, as Jim is wont to say, progress is good and you are making progress in spite of the clocking problem.

On your first drive, be careful. Jonathan says hydroboosted brakes work extremely well, and you don't want to hit your head on the steering wheel. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Good update, thanks. As my father was wont to say, two steps forward and one backward is still progress. And, as Jim is wont to say, progress is good and you are making progress in spite of the clocking problem.

On your first drive, be careful. Jonathan says hydroboosted brakes work extremely well, and you don't want to hit your head on the steering wheel. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I'm hoping they won't be too touchy since I'm using a booster and master cylinder that belong together in a vehicle that's close to the same size and weight of the Bronco. But yeah, we'll have to see!

(edit to add: this project picks up again on page 198)

I welded the floor pan in without cutting a hole to get at the mount.

Cab rubber bushings.

I don't need any fancy polyurethane mounts.

Just cheap and cheerful (serviceable)

Wondering if anybody has suggestions, or ones to stay away from.

Jim, I have some Poly bushing you can have for the shipping cost. I bought a set and only used the radiator core support ones, so the cab bushings are still in the box waiting for a home...

Guys have been busy then again what else can you do when locked down :nabble_anim_confused:

Jim, nice job on the floor & rocker.

When looking over the pictures I saw you did not cut out for the cab mount bolt and was going to say something but you did in a post farther down.

I think I used my plasma cutter and then grinder to clean it up.

For you I think a hole saw top & bottom to get the rounded parts right then a cut off wheel to cut the center. You will need to trim the hole to fit the covers.

On the mounts I did not replace them so cant say how to go with them.

On the fender, yes I am late, being you cant get to the back side for hammer & dolly work my next go to tool would be the stud welder and dent puller. Then finish as normal.

Dave -----

I actually do have a clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, and throw out bearing I took off Big Blue that's for sale. Won't fit a ZF5 so I had to go new.

I was just kidding, the clutch was replaced relatively recently and has a lot of life left. I don't think my brother will tear it up that bad... I hope. But after some polishing we discovered the truck used to have explorer badges on the bed, but they were removed at some point. I've been poking around on ebay looking for a pair and I think I'll have to send my brother on some missions to the local junkyards.

I was just kidding, the clutch was replaced relatively recently and has a lot of life left. I don't think my brother will tear it up that bad... I hope. But after some polishing we discovered the truck used to have explorer badges on the bed, but they were removed at some point. I've been poking around on ebay looking for a pair and I think I'll have to send my brother on some missions to the local junkyards.

Oh, ok. I misunderstood. :nabble_smiley_good:

Jim, I have some Poly bushing you can have for the shipping cost. I bought a set and only used the radiator core support ones, so the cab bushings are still in the box waiting for a home...

That's the Bullnose Forum spirit! :nabble_anim_claps:

Received a nice little box from Summit yesterday which contained some door pin bushing sets, 3G alternator harness, and some new chrome spline drive lug nuts (spline drive because I plan to run alloy wheels in the future and acorns won't work). Went to put the new lug nuts on but they were not about to go on the rear studs since they're all pretty cross-threaded from whatever Florida Man last zipped them on. I remember having a heck of a time trying to get new acorns put on back there.

I'm still waiting on my blower motor to show up but once that arrives and I do the blend door mod, I can put my A/C boxes back in the truck. :nabble_anim_jump:

Received a nice little box from Summit yesterday which contained some door pin bushing sets, 3G alternator harness, and some new chrome spline drive lug nuts (spline drive because I plan to run alloy wheels in the future and acorns won't work). Went to put the new lug nuts on but they were not about to go on the rear studs since they're all pretty cross-threaded from whatever Florida Man last zipped them on. I remember having a heck of a time trying to get new acorns put on back there.

I'm still waiting on my blower motor to show up but once that arrives and I do the blend door mod, I can put my A/C boxes back in the truck. :nabble_anim_jump:

You are getting all your ducks lined up, and will have a productive time in the near future. :nabble_smiley_good:

On the studs, do you have a thread file? You should as you can clean up those studs fairly easily - lots easier than replacing them.

You are getting all your ducks lined up, and will have a productive time in the near future. :nabble_smiley_good:

On the studs, do you have a thread file? You should as you can clean up those studs fairly easily - lots easier than replacing them.

Heading to the junkyard tomorrow to try and pick up some of the A/C parts I threw out like the accumulator straps and cycle switch harness. Crossing things off left and right. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for the lugs, that will work on the front, but not on the back. When I say they are done, they're done. They are the worst lugs I have ever seen. They aren't just cross threaded, there are some spots with no thread at all. I had to use a hammer impact just to get acorn nuts put back on when I first got the truck.