Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

(I see, said the blind man. :nabble_smiley_oh:)

To his deaf wife...

I've heard several different endings to that saying. Deaf wife or dog seems to be the most common. But Dad, who was full of sayings, never finished it and yet it conveyed all that was needed.

I miss that man. :nabble_smiley_sad:

(I see, said the blind man. :nabble_smiley_oh:)

To his deaf wife...

I've heard several different endings to that saying. Deaf wife or dog seems to be the most common. But Dad, who was full of sayings, never finished it and yet it conveyed all that was needed.

I miss that man. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Frost again this morning. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Heavy rain this afternoon.

I did bust out the heat gun to get the fender primed.

IMG_20200421_074947.jpg.f6f8eb6bf22877a0e6ea9a587146d8b7.jpg

Some WalMart closeout Rust-Oleum Cherry for the quick & dirty on the floor.

IMG_20200421_074928.thumb.jpg.1822869f1dc9b11436290deb988e0db7.jpg

I mean, red is RED, right??? :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

At least I'll be able to put the cab back together when it dries.

I'm going to have to shoot the rocker, fender and probably the hood later in the week when the weather clears.

I'm going to have to shoot the rocker, fender and probably the hood later in the week when the weather clears.

Yeah, we've had heat, frost, heat, rain, wind, etc. Crazy spring. Wasn't supposed to rain yesterday and we had a storm blow up.

But the fender looks good, and paint is paint for the floor, who cares?

You'll be driving it this weekend!

Yeah, we've had heat, frost, heat, rain, wind, etc. Crazy spring. Wasn't supposed to rain yesterday and we had a storm blow up.

But the fender looks good, and paint is paint for the floor, who cares?

You'll be driving it this weekend!

ArdWrknTrk...Lookin good on the floor, Friend of mine, a super body man BTW, told me Rustoleium was good rust primer as long as you don't put lacquer on top of it, I use it all the time for my projects. I almost got mine ready to paint as soon as the weather gets right, also mood.

Bill

ArdWrknTrk...Lookin good on the floor, Friend of mine, a super body man BTW, told me Rustoleium was good rust primer as long as you don't put lacquer on top of it, I use it all the time for my projects. I almost got mine ready to paint as soon as the weather gets right, also mood.

Bill

Thanks for the encouragement, Bill! :nabble_anim_handshake:

I'll get it eventually.

I look forward to seeing what you have in store as well.

Nice work Jim!

Nice work Jim!

I was able to install an under hood toolbox that I've had in storage for years and had forgotten. I bought it new with the two brackets from a dealer parts department decades ago. I'd installed it on a Bronco I had at the time and prior to selling the Bronco I pulled it out. The parts that were the problem were the bolts that go through the box into the fender. I am working on a box that is in the small private JY nearby. Sometimes it seems like there is just not enough time in the day. The box I am looking to get has one small flaw, the locking tab on the bottom of the box is cracked away. The lid looks fine. I need to schedule a whole day to go up there when we actually get some decent weather and go to town. I'll share the list of parts to be available once I get them.

I did this yesterday so maybe this is a WHYDTYTY post, but I gave her a wash, polish, and wax. I had to protect what little paint I have left. I also taught my little brother how to drive manual. I'm letting him use it for the next couple of months while I'll be gone for work in Oregon. On an unrelated note, there is a possibility that I will be in the market for a new clutch in a couple months, so if anyone has one lying around keep me in mind hahaha

20200420_181857.jpg.ec05091a3b1183927bf0a58f74081af4.jpg

I did this yesterday so maybe this is a WHYDTYTY post, but I gave her a wash, polish, and wax. I had to protect what little paint I have left. I also taught my little brother how to drive manual. I'm letting him use it for the next couple of months while I'll be gone for work in Oregon. On an unrelated note, there is a possibility that I will be in the market for a new clutch in a couple months, so if anyone has one lying around keep me in mind hahaha

I actually do have a clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, and throw out bearing I took off Big Blue that's for sale. Won't fit a ZF5 so I had to go new.

A little more progress on the Bronco's brakes today. The hydroboost and master cylinder are now bolted in, and the pedal linkage is hooked up! I made a bronze bushing to make the Astro hydroboost pushrod fit the bellcrank that came with my aftermarket angle bracket and four spacers to mount the hydroboost to the angle bracket at the right place for the linkage to work out. And the lengths of everything seems pretty good! The pedal is essentially at the top of it's travel at rest, but there's just enough play that I know it isn't applying the brakes. The pedal does go all the way to the floor, so I'll have to see if I'm getting enough travel in the master to fully apply the brakes. I'd guess that I am, but I won't really know until the hydraulics are hooked up.

So now the next step is to figure out the hoses for the hydroboost. Then get brake lines hooked up (I'll need a new proportioning valve since I'm going from 4 wheel disks to disk/drum). And then it should be good to go! (or should I say "good to stop!"?)

Picture time. Here's a better picture of why I couldn't "just bolt it to the firewall." This is looking through the hole in the firewall that the rod from the pedal comes through. You can see part of the dash support / pedal assembly through the hole. There's another piece on the near side as well. Also you can see a flange bent out just to the far side of the hole. And it's not flat or smooth around the steering column either. I'm not saying it wouldn't be possible to bolt it directly to the firewall. But if it is possible it would be challenging to figure it all out without messing anything else up. And then there's the throttle linkage and clearance to the oil fill cap. So I'm happy with my choice to use the angle bracket.

Here's the bushing in the hole of the hydroboost pushrod

And here's the hydroboost and master cylinder mounted to the angle bracket. I did see in other threads now how others did this without the long spacers. They get a different bellcrank to allow the hydroboost rod to come back a lot farther. That would be cleaner, but I'm OK with how this is turning out. I shifted my power distribution box over about an inch and now everything clears.

(edit to add: this project picks up on the bottom of page 175)

Going way back to the "blind man" line, my grandpa was the one I heard it from. His version was ""I see" said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw", leaving out anything about the deaf wife (or dog, or whoever). It was also delivered in a thick Swedish accent. He died in the mid '70s, so it's been a while!

Gary, on the Bronco brakes, I've been plugging along. I was planning on an update this weekend, but since you asked...

I got the two hoses for the GMC Safari hydroboost (pump to booster and booster to steering gear) and a pump to gear hose for a '70s F-series. I then cut them apart and duct taped the Ford pump end in place of the pump end on the first GMC hose and the Ford gear end in place of the gear end of that GMC hose. Then I had two hoses that would actually fit and connect at both ends. But the duct tape wouldn't hold much pressure!

So I took those to an industrial hose shop and they attached new hose to the ends, keeping the length I had set and keeping the clocking on one of the two hoses :nabble_smiley_unhappy:. I ended up having to rebend one metal end on the hose they clocked wrong, but it's in now.

I added a cooler to the return line from the steering gear and a "T" at the pump inlet to take the lines from the cooler and the booster. So now the power steering fluid side of the plumbing is done.

Last weekend I started working on the brake lines. I have most of what I need to put that together. I'm hoping to get it buttoned up this weekend. At that point it should be driveable again!

(Sorry, no pictures this time. I'll add some after I get the brake lines done.)