Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

My phone croaked on Thursday morning.

It is raining sideways, in sheets right now.

When I have my hood down, or a grinder in hand, I'm not really thinking of sharing with the world.

But the tablet is hard to see in the sun. Its camera is crap. It is awkward to fit under the dash, into corners and under the truck (with me beneath it)

I'm doing all this on stone dust, out in the open.

Maybe I can order a new phone from my tablet?

Because all the phone stores around here are ordered shuttered-and I couldn't drive there if I wanted to.

Yes, you may be able to order it. But stay dry - it is gonna get cold as well as wet. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Youse guys keep talking about all of this work, but where are the pics? I want to enjoy the work vicariously - meaning without working on my part. :nabble_smiley_evil:

I share plenty. Your turn!

Wish I could work on mine, im stuck on my 306 build till I get my CC paid off so I can order the last two components I need.

Would have already ordered the short block but tax refund still hasn't been approved yet due to the virus.

But if you want some preview pictures I do have some pictures of my parts for my 306 build though.

My blue Ford Racing slant roof valve covers. Should be tall enough to clear my Scorpion roller rockers. Thick enough aluminum I hope to help muffle the valve train noise.

Ford_Racing_Pent_Roof_Valve_Covers.jpg.8101c0c4e8744866cfea9f187109a669.jpg

And a photo of what they look like installed. online photo on this one.

F97621381.thumb.jpg.05a7b321ce9eb60de295c49cef02da03.jpg

The Ford Racing upgraded OE roller lifters that should be good to 6,400 rpm

Ford_Racing_Hydraulic_Roller_Lifters_-_1.jpg.a3070ecbd91be7384d0b481b97248441.jpg

One of many boxes with misc ARP fastners

misc_ARP_fastners.jpg.c5c212551c596edb85a8a1d8229b8155.jpg

My AFR Renegade 165 CC heads with upgraded valve springs and 7/16" rocker studs

AFR_Renegade_165_Cylinder_Heads_-_1.jpg.8985030734df630eda3c44fb5a3cacc9.jpg

And a stock photo of the 18" 7 bladed flex fan to replace my OE 5 bladed flex fan. This fan is 1/2" smaller diameter than the OE ford 7 bladed flex fan which I still have not found a part number for. But this one should be quiet with the off set blades like factory.

Flex-a-lite_18inch_7blade_flex_fan_4818_silver.thumb.jpg.1a9b259546ab55162bef179290e7a830.jpg

Has anybody else called their insurance company? I'm hearing rumors of there being potential discounts. People like my wife and I, both working from home and cars not moving...it's worth the ask I guess. My wife called them and they said they'd get back to us on the matter. Maybe this is only in Canada. Any word in the US?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/insurance-covid-19-1.5525986

15-25% discounts for the COVID-19 stay-at-home period of time...

https://www.wxyz.com/news/coronavirus/these-auto-insurance-companies-are-offering-credits-amid-the-covid-19-outbreak

Wish I could work on mine, im stuck on my 306 build till I get my CC paid off so I can order the last two components I need.

Would have already ordered the short block but tax refund still hasn't been approved yet due to the virus.

But if you want some preview pictures I do have some pictures of my parts for my 306 build though.

My blue Ford Racing slant roof valve covers. Should be tall enough to clear my Scorpion roller rockers. Thick enough aluminum I hope to help muffle the valve train noise.

And a photo of what they look like installed. online photo on this one.

The Ford Racing upgraded OE roller lifters that should be good to 6,400 rpm

One of many boxes with misc ARP fastners

My AFR Renegade 165 CC heads with upgraded valve springs and 7/16" rocker studs

And a stock photo of the 18" 7 bladed flex fan to replace my OE 5 bladed flex fan. This fan is 1/2" smaller diameter than the OE ford 7 bladed flex fan which I still have not found a part number for. But this one should be quiet with the off set blades like factory.

@Rusty

I am not a fan of those flex fans at all. They are mega horsepower robbers compared to a conventional clutch fan sometimes actually promote LESS airflow. I remeber seeing an Engine Masters video where they tested multiple styles of fans and I want to say a 16" flex fan took almost 45 horsepower away from the engine on the dyno.

Not to mention I had one come apart on me and come thru the hood before.

My next move will be electric fans I think.

@Rusty

I am not a fan of those flex fans at all. They are mega horsepower robbers compared to a conventional clutch fan sometimes actually promote LESS airflow..... I want to say a 16" flex fan took almost 45 horsepower away from the engine on the dyno.

100%!

@Rusty

I am not a fan of those flex fans at all. They are mega horsepower robbers compared to a conventional clutch fan sometimes actually promote LESS airflow. I remeber seeing an Engine Masters video where they tested multiple styles of fans and I want to say a 16" flex fan took almost 45 horsepower away from the engine on the dyno.

Not to mention I had one come apart on me and come thru the hood before.

My next move will be electric fans I think.

And my '78 Mercury and '82 F150 still has the same OEM flex fan with over 200,000 miles on them with no problem.

I also tried swapping to a clutch fan on my '78 Mercury, problem I had is my AC didn't blow as cold and I started having a overheating problem when sitting in traffic. Never had those problems with the flex fan.

On a side note I got some bronco guy starting with me telling me a 7' pivot 3G will fit I don't need the larger 8" pivot. Funny cause all the reading I saw stated our trucks with the air pump bracket needs the 8" pivot to have enough movement.

Unless that information is faulty.

well I went out and measured my 1G as best as I could. looks like its above 7" but under 7 1/2" so I guess I can run the 7" 95A 3G alternator. I wonder why everywhere is stating our trucks with V belts need the 8 1/4" 3G.

And my '78 Mercury and '82 F150 still has the same OEM flex fan with over 200,000 miles on them with no problem.

I also tried swapping to a clutch fan on my '78 Mercury, problem I had is my AC didn't blow as cold and I started having a overheating problem when sitting in traffic. Never had those problems with the flex fan.

On a side note I got some bronco guy starting with me telling me a 7' pivot 3G will fit I don't need the larger 8" pivot. Funny cause all the reading I saw stated our trucks with the air pump bracket needs the 8" pivot to have enough movement.

Unless that information is faulty.

well I went out and measured my 1G as best as I could. looks like its above 7" but under 7 1/2" so I guess I can run the 7" 95A 3G alternator. I wonder why everywhere is stating our trucks with V belts need the 8 1/4" 3G.

Because it's so deep in the hole there's no swing for adjustment.

Maybe you can get another belt, and fight it over the sheave, but it's a lot easier to just get the 8.25", and be able to tension the belt.

Because it's so deep in the hole there's no swing for adjustment.

Maybe you can get another belt, and fight it over the sheave, but it's a lot easier to just get the 8.25", and be able to tension the belt.

That's what I thought, but I got this one guy trying to tell me all the guys doing swaps to 3Gs are using the 7" pivot 3G not the 8" pivot.

I don't want to fight the belt. I want to be able to use the OE sized belt which is why I was looking at the 8" pivot model but apparently ford never did the 95A in a 8" pivot just 7".

Was also telling me I need to run dual belts as the 130A I decided I will run to get the 8" pivot will slip when the battery is a little low. I don't believe a 3G is going to go to peak output just because the battery is a little weak. They also were telling me to get a van bracketry to run the dual belt but they wouldn't listen on the other forum where I told them multiple times I cant run another belt as I would lose my AC.

"well they ran dual alternator belts with AC why cant you?" Uh because I have dealer ac with a York compressor and I am not going to rebuild my whole ac system just to run an extra belt.

That's what I thought, but I got this one guy trying to tell me all the guys doing swaps to 3Gs are using the 7" pivot 3G not the 8" pivot.

I don't want to fight the belt. I want to be able to use the OE sized belt which is why I was looking at the 8" pivot model but apparently ford never did the 95A in a 8" pivot just 7".

Was also telling me I need to run dual belts as the 130A I decided I will run to get the 8" pivot will slip when the battery is a little low. I don't believe a 3G is going to go to peak output just because the battery is a little weak. They also were telling me to get a van bracketry to run the dual belt but they wouldn't listen on the other forum where I told them multiple times I cant run another belt as I would lose my AC.

"well they ran dual alternator belts with AC why cant you?" Uh because I have dealer ac with a York compressor and I am not going to rebuild my whole ac system just to run an extra belt.

You use the 7" C-C with top mounted Windsor engines that have serpentine belts.

And in that application you need to clearance the bracket with a die grinder.

Ford definitely did make a 8.25" 95A 3G.

The 4.9 I-6's used them starting around '93-4

You use the 7" C-C with top mounted Windsor engines that have serpentine belts.

And in that application you need to clearance the bracket with a die grinder.

Ford definitely did make a 8.25" 95A 3G.

The 4.9 I-6's used them starting around '93-4

See that's what I thought, I looked them up as well as the 7.5L F250 from 96/97 and when I asked I was told they were 7" pivot not 8".

Its like damn wth is going on. I might have to go to a local junkyard and just start measuring even though junkyards are expensive here and we don't really have much in the name of vehicles over 10 years old.

94 - 96 all the 95A variants had the off set mounting ears only the 130A variant had the opposed ears.

Still looking though.

This is the one I keep looking at. There is a cheaper variant than this one that is 95A but when I asked PA Performance about the same exact looking alternator they informed me that 95A only came as a 7" pivot not a 8" pivot.

https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/db-electrical-afd0076-220-alternator-for-ford-aerostar-92-94-400-14166.html

If this is correct then I found it last week but just couldn't get confirmation on the spacing of the bolt pattern. I emailed DB Electrical but they just told me they don't have that information.

And the cheaper one I found initially for $68 this is the one that I emailed about on the ear spacing.

https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/alternator-3-0-aerostar-92-93-94-7-5-f150-f250-f350-pickup-96-97.html