Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Dane - You'll like having the shop manuals. :nabble_smiley_good:

Angelo - Do you have a before and after shot on the ports?

I do, but they arent the best. I will say the exhaust side was the worst I have ever seen a 2v head. They were Michigan cast heads. My CF heads were a lot better cast. I did notice depending on the plant the location of the casting numbers does change.

I did not get crazy with it, I left the bump for the air ports, just went in and cleaned up and around the bump out to the edges. They were ROUGH, worse than those chambers. I could actually measure out some of the high spots.

The intake ports were pretty good.

You can tell the exhauat side is bad when you can see the casting flash from 2 feet away.

Snapchat-1155332891.thumb.jpg.ddcee7053463f1af9d309259b419645a.jpgSnapchat-1500311249.thumb.jpg.89e8f74a46d9437063c3bc637853d734.jpgSnapchat-1954472741.thumb.jpg.21eb9eb2fea62504dc72d5fe045e8f78.jpgSnapchat-2065936079.thumb.jpg.683785501ae5a05a7f84bd3efd305b1b.jpgreceived_306236277006844.jpeg.004a69f7bff53ce586c2e60848cf127c.jpeg

This was my first time really doing it so I went conservative. I figured while I was in there it couldnt hurt.

I do, but they arent the best. I will say the exhaust side was the worst I have ever seen a 2v head. They were Michigan cast heads. My CF heads were a lot better cast. I did notice depending on the plant the location of the casting numbers does change.

I did not get crazy with it, I left the bump for the air ports, just went in and cleaned up and around the bump out to the edges. They were ROUGH, worse than those chambers. I could actually measure out some of the high spots.

The intake ports were pretty good.

You can tell the exhauat side is bad when you can see the casting flash from 2 feet away.

This was my first time really doing it so I went conservative. I figured while I was in there it couldnt hurt.

Looks good! Are you port matching?

Looks good! Are you port matching?

I may. I'm going to see how far off the headers and intake are to the heads. I probably won't gasket match (intake side didn't need it with a valley pan anyway). I know the header flanges were a little rough in the way they were welded, but I don't think they will be too awful.

Overall though I think I'll be in good enough shape where I won't have to.

Mrs. Rembrant gave me a break from RV renos today to take the old Bull out for a spin. It wasn't very warm out, but it was sunny and clear and the roads were nice and dry;).

IMG_0542.jpg.d5a783a8002d16f6230d9a8a529da74f.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg.d6514553a50b415de7c81e68c5715218.jpg

While the M5OD and 3.08 gears wouldn't be the best for towing, they are sure are nice on the highway. The engine just purrs at 1900 RPM @ 65mph. For a light little truck, I'm quite happy with this combo.

There's a little dead end road on the way home where I stop once in a while to give her a good 1/8 mile pull just to make sure everything is working properly;).

IMG_0552.jpg.940c64ac3fe4eccea051f0e20c1a50a4.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg.33675e6e01a18bf5d9de0070f487874b.jpg

We have been busy with RV renos this past couple weeks. Today was stick-on tiles on the kitchen wall, and new faucets, and the sink...UGH...it had been painted with black appliance paint (I think) and it took me 3 days to strip it all back down to bare stainless steel. Then it took me another couple days to gather up the fittings to convert the RV's 3/8 Poly-B tubing over to 1/2" PEX...what a pita.

IMG_0570.jpg.e12ac9b815edef57c8abd2d24443a4a5.jpg

I have also sourced a replacement air intake for the 460 EFI, and will be checking out a few small issues with her in the coming weeks. It is showing a code for the TPS and another for the EVAP system, so I want to get everything back to a stock (and code free) base line, so I can make my very best attempt at 8+ MPG...lol.

Mrs. Rembrant gave me a break from RV renos today to take the old Bull out for a spin. It wasn't very warm out, but it was sunny and clear and the roads were nice and dry;).

While the M5OD and 3.08 gears wouldn't be the best for towing, they are sure are nice on the highway. The engine just purrs at 1900 RPM @ 65mph. For a light little truck, I'm quite happy with this combo.

There's a little dead end road on the way home where I stop once in a while to give her a good 1/8 mile pull just to make sure everything is working properly;).

We have been busy with RV renos this past couple weeks. Today was stick-on tiles on the kitchen wall, and new faucets, and the sink...UGH...it had been painted with black appliance paint (I think) and it took me 3 days to strip it all back down to bare stainless steel. Then it took me another couple days to gather up the fittings to convert the RV's 3/8 Poly-B tubing over to 1/2" PEX...what a pita.

I have also sourced a replacement air intake for the 460 EFI, and will be checking out a few small issues with her in the coming weeks. It is showing a code for the TPS and another for the EVAP system, so I want to get everything back to a stock (and code free) base line, so I can make my very best attempt at 8+ MPG...lol.

Looking good, Cory!!! Both the truck and the RV. And it seems like you are finding the parts you need for the RV. Cool!

Cory, check the gas cap for that evap code.

Always was a problem with the pickups.

I don't know about the cutaway vans.

Cory, check the gas cap for that evap code.

Always was a problem with the pickups.

I don't know about the cutaway vans.

Cam and lifters arrived!

So I thought.

Got home to discover the box has been opened, 80% of my parts stolen, and piss poorly retaped.

FedEx, Summit Racing and myself are going to have some CHOICE words in the AM. I am NOT happy at all.

Cam and lifters arrived!

So I thought.

Got home to discover the box has been opened, 80% of my parts stolen, and piss poorly retaped.

FedEx, Summit Racing and myself are going to have some CHOICE words in the AM. I am NOT happy at all.

Bummer!!! Not fun.

Bummer!!! Not fun.

Yeah. I can't do much with 12 lifters.

Not even so much as a receipt was in there. I knew right away there was a problem with it. A 16lb box should not look like it'd been opened and weigh 2 lbs.

They clearly cut through the heavy duty paper/wire tape that Summit uses, on the back side of the box from the shipping label, took what they wanted then stuffed the air bags back in so that the box wouldn't even close all the way and ran one line of tape over it. No receipt, no cam, missing 1 box of lifters and no Summit stickers anywhere to be found.

Yeah. I can't do much with 12 lifters.

Not even so much as a receipt was in there. I knew right away there was a problem with it. A 16lb box should not look like it'd been opened and weigh 2 lbs.

They clearly cut through the heavy duty paper/wire tape that Summit uses, on the back side of the box from the shipping label, took what they wanted then stuffed the air bags back in so that the box wouldn't even close all the way and ran one line of tape over it. No receipt, no cam, missing 1 box of lifters and no Summit stickers anywhere to be found.

Ouch, that sucks. That has always been a fear of mine with all I been ordering from summit for my 306 build. On the stickers, ive gotten lots of packages from summit with no stickers included.

Summit I like them but they got on my bad side this past October when I tried to order custom AFR 165 Renegade heads from them on the phone. They said they had to figure it up and would call me back but only one person in all of summit could do it. I was like ok that's fine. Gave it 2 days no call back, gave them a call got someone else they saw no record and they put a call in to the same person for the order and would call me back. Gave it 2 more days no call back and I called Jegs and ordered from them one call got the custom order done with no headaches nor hassles.

Summit heard about this through a comment I posted on fb on their ads asking if its common for their business to tell customers they will call them back on a custom order twice and never call back. One of the managers said they would make it right on me by letting me have the Blueprint 306 short block for $2,099.99 instead of $2,499.99. Problem is I messaged him if the free shipping on $100+ orders would include a lift gate service or how it would be done for this. Never got a reply back from that manager. If I do order the blueprint engine from them I will be calling in with the name of this manager and demanding the order be placed at $2,099.99 otherwise I will go else where.

Just a slap in the face to me after I spent nearly $6,000 worth of parts in the course of a year for my 306 build and then when it comes to the heads they just go to crap on me. Then I got a carb from them for my el camino a dualjet, first one had the right idle circuit blocked off called them up to send another they wanted me to send the carb in and it would take about 7 weeks to get a replacement sent to me. Uh no, I spent enough money with the company and been screwed enough the past 3 months you send me another carb and ill ship this one back when it comes in. New carb comes in and it starts acting up after three weeks so I wrote it off and going to get a brand new one from napa. Summit then sent me a letter how they never got the other carb back. Well I don't know what to tell them I said on the phone the packaged up box was on the front porch for 4 days and it was gone on my lunch break on day 4 so if ups didn't get it then I guess someone stole it off the front porch.

So for me the 306 short block that I have to order once I get my CC bill paid off will most likely come from someone other than summit. They have done good by me for years but so much wrong in such a short period of time has me washing my hands of them.