Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

The thing on the pics is entirely up to you. But if you have a Dropbox, Google, or Microsoft Onedrive account you can put them there and give me access. And the Dropbox and Google accounts are free.

On the pictures I will see what I can do when I have the time.

Dave ----

On the pictures I will see what I can do when I have the time.

Dave ----

Spent the evening starting to tear down and clean up my "new" heads. Disassembled and degreased. Everything looks pretty good so far. Going to lap the valves, smooth up the chambers and exhaust ports and then paint before reassembly with the new valve springs. These heads appeared to be in better shape than the heads I took off the motor so I am going with them.

Snapchat-1215326642.thumb.jpg.69fd3bd28b57d5ee2e9d65c72d363db5.jpgSnapchat-1402870142.thumb.jpg.a66e874ab7ed40accaad026c17482aa4.jpgSnapchat-1206342683.thumb.jpg.578e53f4171841360a07c43b3ff2afb4.jpgSnapchat-1624314781.thumb.jpg.b476dd7d9369cef2bccdebee157e56e3.jpgSnapchat-1155332891.thumb.jpg.b57b208006980f82ee82956bcd5875fd.jpg

Spent the evening starting to tear down and clean up my "new" heads. Disassembled and degreased. Everything looks pretty good so far. Going to lap the valves, smooth up the chambers and exhaust ports and then paint before reassembly with the new valve springs. These heads appeared to be in better shape than the heads I took off the motor so I am going with them.

Love those M-block heads! Big ports.

Funny story. Brandon/Bruno2 came over to pick up some Windsor heads from me one day a few years ago. I told him where they were upstairs and he came back with the M-block heads. I said "Follow me" and we took them back and laid they beside the Windsor heads. He was stunned. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Love those M-block heads! Big ports.

Funny story. Brandon/Bruno2 came over to pick up some Windsor heads from me one day a few years ago. I told him where they were upstairs and he came back with the M-block heads. I said "Follow me" and we took them back and laid they beside the Windsor heads. He was stunned. :nabble_smiley_evil:

It is amazing the difference. I will never forget the time I laid a 4V head next to a Windsor head.

Wow.

I'm hoping a little amateur port cleanup will help give me a little more pep. Excited to see if running proper valve springs makes it run any different. I was making solid power before hand.

My father once told me his buddy has a set of Modified heads on a Cleveland that were heavily modified. Machined for screw in studs, ported, and the best part was the filled the open chambers with weld, machined them flat and made wedge style chambers out of them. Said it ran like a bat out of hell.

Evidently running 400 cranks in 351W blocks was the thing to do back in the day too.

It is amazing the difference. I will never forget the time I laid a 4V head next to a Windsor head.

Wow.

I'm hoping a little amateur port cleanup will help give me a little more pep. Excited to see if running proper valve springs makes it run any different. I was making solid power before hand.

My father once told me his buddy has a set of Modified heads on a Cleveland that were heavily modified. Machined for screw in studs, ported, and the best part was the filled the open chambers with weld, machined them flat and made wedge style chambers out of them. Said it ran like a bat out of hell.

Evidently running 400 cranks in 351W blocks was the thing to do back in the day too.

4V heads have HUGE passages. Way too big for most use. But even the 2V heads blow a Windsor head away.

Don't know why you'd want to put a 400 crank in something and run Windsor heads. Put the 400 crank in an M-block and bolt on stock heads and you'll have something. Or, port the 2V heads a bit and find a bit more power, esp on the exhaust.

4V heads have HUGE passages. Way too big for most use. But even the 2V heads blow a Windsor head away.

Don't know why you'd want to put a 400 crank in something and run Windsor heads. Put the 400 crank in an M-block and bolt on stock heads and you'll have something. Or, port the 2V heads a bit and find a bit more power, esp on the exhaust.

The idea was that if you machined the snout down on the 400 crank, bored it .030 over with 302 pistons and use 300-6 rods you'd make a makeshift stroker. They were doing this back in the late 80s when stroker kits for Windsors werent really available yet. According to my dad it was not uncommon to see one of these motors especially with 2v Cleveland heads on them. A guys with the trucks used C9 or D0 Windsoe heads as apparently depending on piston choice they made a little better low RPM grunt.

Nowadays aftermarket is light years better so it's pretty much pointless.

The idea was that if you machined the snout down on the 400 crank, bored it .030 over with 302 pistons and use 300-6 rods you'd make a makeshift stroker. They were doing this back in the late 80s when stroker kits for Windsors werent really available yet. According to my dad it was not uncommon to see one of these motors especially with 2v Cleveland heads on them. A guys with the trucks used C9 or D0 Windsoe heads as apparently depending on piston choice they made a little better low RPM grunt.

Nowadays aftermarket is light years better so it's pretty much pointless.

I’ve got a CD service manual but like paper manuals when doing a lot of “page flipping”. So I kept looking on ebay and found one. Just “over the hill” from me too, so they got here real quick.

Outsides are worn, but look good inside, and a reasonable price.

020AD059-CE42-4C8C-9F92-B75036C4C059.jpeg.ae1e8fbcd563624f3d717e73a48abfa4.jpeg10D94A7D-C393-44F9-BF8F-2D9DBFAF9E04.jpeg.49ffb5a51c8e47fc6075b38bf88c73df.jpegC6D54EAD-6E0D-415A-A6E7-BBF98683D9BE.jpeg.e6714202cd3e2811dcc6bf9f342d1c07.jpeg

I’ve got a CD service manual but like paper manuals when doing a lot of “page flipping”. So I kept looking on ebay and found one. Just “over the hill” from me too, so they got here real quick.

Outsides are worn, but look good inside, and a reasonable price.

Got the first of the pair of my "new to me" cylinder heads finished up tonight, minus paint.

Degreased the whole thing, cleaned up the intake and exhaust ports (the exhaust side was god awful), cleaned the valves, lapped the valves and seats, installed 288lb @ .580 lift valve springs, and new seals. Pleased with how it turned out.

Snapchat-814553521.thumb.jpg.8303ffe281f46b0088501d066efb05ac.jpgSnapchat-595801640.thumb.jpg.87588e91de68518acc47990d3d647bcd.jpgSnapchat-40414476.thumb.jpg.66da115f47e9909af5f339b9479b19ab.jpgSnapchat-536714930.thumb.jpg.9b422cbdaba4e293cae158d2135bf5e9.jpg

Excited to see how it runs...

Got the first of the pair of my "new to me" cylinder heads finished up tonight, minus paint.

Degreased the whole thing, cleaned up the intake and exhaust ports (the exhaust side was god awful), cleaned the valves, lapped the valves and seats, installed 288lb @ .580 lift valve springs, and new seals. Pleased with how it turned out.

Excited to see how it runs...

Nice!