Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Seeing all the parts packaged for shipping reminded me of Radar O'Reilly, on M.A.S.H., when he was shipping a Jeep, one part at a time, back to the farm in Ottumwa, Iowa. Hmmm... does that date me? :nabble_smiley_whistling:

David - I’d forgotten that Radar was doing that. Good memories! By the way, the owner’s manual came in last night, and it looks new. 👍

Jim - If you run across another clutch release arm for a ZF please snag it for me. Someone cut mine up and married it with one from an NP435 to create a manual linkage for a ZF. :nabble_smiley_blush:

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

David - I’d forgotten that Radar was doing that. Good memories! By the way, the owner’s manual came in last night, and it looks new. 👍

Jim - If you run across another clutch release arm for a ZF please snag it for me. Someone cut mine up and married it with one from an NP435 to create a manual linkage for a ZF. :nabble_smiley_blush:

They are available NOS for ~$30 Gary.

They are available NOS for ~$30 Gary.

Has anyone run into problems with the steel wheels fitting the rotor hub? I have an '82 F100, so I have the small 4 1/2 bolt circle. I have some 15 x 6 wheels, that I did have on my Ranger, but that originally came from an F100. I am painting these wheels to use and slipping them on the rotors was a no-go. There is a step in the hub ( China I'm sure ). I had to grind the hub slightly with a flap disc to get the steel wheel to slide on. Damn crap parts!! :) The color is tropical turquoise, a Ford color.

topical_wheels.jpg.5f8da7545f3b5f4ea83e81db9919f3b7.jpg

Guess I ought to look up the part number and buy one. Hmmm, I found a neat page that says it is E7TZ 7515-A. And then Amazon had it, so it is winging its way to me.

That's a lot easier, isn't it?

I really love Amazon. :nabble_smiley_grin:

Gary,

I went and bought another tote and some more of those heavy duty zip ties.

So three totes and the 15 lb crossmember.

All told it is about #190.

I will try again tomorrow.

That's a lot easier, isn't it?

I really love Amazon. :nabble_smiley_grin:

Gary,

I went and bought another tote and some more of those heavy duty zip ties.

So three totes and the 15 lb crossmember.

All told it is about #190.

I will try again tomorrow.

Yes, that “Buy With One Click” gets me every time. But eBay is almost as good - since I have an account set up it only takes a few clicks. David and Jonathan keep finding me things. 🙈

Anyway, I thank you again for all of your efforts. 👍

As for what I’ve done to, with, or for my trucks today, nada. I spent the whole day liaising with people to repair our fence and with plumbers to fix two of those kinds of problems. But as I walked the yard with those guys I did note the large number of oil drops on the driveway from Big Blue, and remembered the oil on the front of the trailer - both a result of the 100-mile trip to go get the ‘90 on Saturday.

Given that, I think it is essentially time to “fix” Big Blue. With the valve covers here, the release arm on order, and the crossmember and alternator coming in from Jim, I think I’ll soon have most of the needed parts to do the job.

But there is one last question - is this the right oil pan? The current pan leaks like a sieve, so has to go. I’ve considered pulling the pan off the ‘90, but it is just like the one I have, which leaks where the dip stick attaches. Yes, I could fix that like I did for Dad’s truck, but why not go with a new pan and one-piece gasket?

Yes, that “Buy With One Click” gets me every time. But eBay is almost as good - since I have an account set up it only takes a few clicks. David and Jonathan keep finding me things. 🙈

Anyway, I thank you again for all of your efforts. 👍

As for what I’ve done to, with, or for my trucks today, nada. I spent the whole day liaising with people to repair our fence and with plumbers to fix two of those kinds of problems. But as I walked the yard with those guys I did note the large number of oil drops on the driveway from Big Blue, and remembered the oil on the front of the trailer - both a result of the 100-mile trip to go get the ‘90 on Saturday.

Given that, I think it is essentially time to “fix” Big Blue. With the valve covers here, the release arm on order, and the crossmember and alternator coming in from Jim, I think I’ll soon have most of the needed parts to do the job.

But there is one last question - is this the right oil pan? The current pan leaks like a sieve, so has to go. I’ve considered pulling the pan off the ‘90, but it is just like the one I have, which leaks where the dip stick attaches. Yes, I could fix that like I did for Dad’s truck, but why not go with a new pan and one-piece gasket?

Why not?

You have perfectly serviceable parts on there (unless you want the click in dipstick.)

Most of the stubborn leaks I've had in my 30 year experince with this truck are front and rear main.

Though a poor installation of a four piece gasket can cause leaking at both ends..

Well, I technically did not do this today, but since I just signed up today.......

5.jpg.f9c5c85da36f89912dca1d73249cf6e2.jpg

Before

20171009_175800.jpg.4c2a948537c82e589c65f20c86e5070e.jpg

Today

This is my 86 F150 regular cab short box 4X4 project. I'll make a build thread later.

Well, I technically did not do this today, but since I just signed up today.......

Before

Today

This is my 86 F150 regular cab short box 4X4 project. I'll make a build thread later.

Jim - I could swap pans as the one on Big Blue is dented but the one on the '90 isn't. That way the spare 460 has something to protect the crank, and maybe even set it on until it is needed or sold. :nabble_smiley_good:

Ray - You are making good progress. Please start a build thread and tell us more about the truck. :nabble_smiley_wink: