Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Thanks guys! I'm having a hell of a time finding the grind information on this cam. The manufacturer I have figured out was CWC Textron, who apparently casts 90% of camshafts in general. There is no other markings other than various casting numbers and a grind number on the end of the shaft, and nothing cross references on the internet. I sent them an email, hoping I get some kind of response. I loved the way that thing ran and I'd like to know the specs. I've think I've found something very close, but I need to mic the lobes again.

The hand prepping wasn't too terrible, I think I've got about 8-10 hours in all those from start to finish. I wasn't sure how to get the shine of the aluminum back without glass bead blasting it, so I stopped at work and picked up some aluminum paint and I have to say I am impressed with how good it looks. Just don't get any brake cleaner on it!

Did you "cook" the intake before painting it?

I say this because oil will get into the pours of the alum. and look clean. Then you paint it put it on the motor and as soon as it heats up the oil will come out pushing the paint off.

You want to run the manifold thru a few bake cyl.of heat & cool to get all the oil off. Wash with carb or brake clean and bake again.

Think I did 350* for 15 min. let cool and repeat 3 times before I was happy.

A final clean with brake / carb cleaner let sit for an hour and paint.

Oh and if using the hose oven use it when the wife will be out for a long time so you can air the house out as it will stink when baking.

Dave ----

:nabble_smiley_good:

Screenshot_20200327-204334_Gallery.thumb.jpg.01cc509b4156e94d027bbe09e4fbea0f.jpg

Thanks guys! I'm having a hell of a time finding the grind information on this cam. The manufacturer I have figured out was CWC Textron, who apparently casts 90% of camshafts in general. There is no other markings other than various casting numbers and a grind number on the end of the shaft, and nothing cross references on the internet. I sent them an email, hoping I get some kind of response. I loved the way that thing ran and I'd like to know the specs. I've think I've found something very close, but I need to mic the lobes again.

The hand prepping wasn't too terrible, I think I've got about 8-10 hours in all those from start to finish. I wasn't sure how to get the shine of the aluminum back without glass bead blasting it, so I stopped at work and picked up some aluminum paint and I have to say I am impressed with how good it looks. Just don't get any brake cleaner on it!

Did you "cook" the intake before painting it?

I say this because oil will get into the pours of the alum. and look clean. Then you paint it put it on the motor and as soon as it heats up the oil will come out pushing the paint off.

You want to run the manifold thru a few bake cyl.of heat & cool to get all the oil off. Wash with carb or brake clean and bake again.

Think I did 350* for 15 min. let cool and repeat 3 times before I was happy.

A final clean with brake / carb cleaner let sit for an hour and paint.

Oh and if using the hose oven use it when the wife will be out for a long time so you can air the house out as it will stink when baking.

Dave ----

I did not cook the intake but I did hit it with a blow torch on propane for a few minutes before I laid the paint.

Looking great Shaun! :nabble_smiley_good:

You need some meats to fill those arches.

Thanks Jim! There's a part of me that likes the highboy look, and there's another part of me that likes 16x10 polished bullet hole wheels and 35's. So I'll probably have a set of both to switch around every once in awhile. But finding larger tires for a 16x6 wheel isn't easy.

Thanks Jim! There's a part of me that likes the highboy look, and there's another part of me that likes 16x10 polished bullet hole wheels and 35's. So I'll probably have a set of both to switch around every once in awhile. But finding larger tires for a 16x6 wheel isn't easy.

Up in the salt belt, we usually call those winter wheels/tires.

Nobody intelligent runs polished aluminum rims with magchloride on the streets.

Up in the salt belt, we usually call those winter wheels/tires.

Nobody intelligent runs polished aluminum rims with magchloride on the streets.

Absolutely on the winter setup. My father runs stock steelies in the winter months then swaps to his deep dish rims for summer along with a front bumper combo. I sure do miss his 16.5 wagon wheels but these new rims are growing

IMG_20200126_182201_768.jpg.bddfccce0a3d0ae8894dc31359839e08.jpg20171110_125249.jpg.134da48c5c2252e4f40d2c15180ce211.jpg20190831_182439.jpg.e18eecb454a77c841d6d4abc499643a8.jpg

Absolutely on the winter setup. My father runs stock steelies in the winter months then swaps to his deep dish rims for summer along with a front bumper combo. I sure do miss his 16.5 wagon wheels but these new rims are growing

These days there's not much selection for tires in the 16.5 rim size unless you're going with very large tires. even then you still don't have much selection. Back in the early '90's 16.5 was my prefered rim size on my F250's.

:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig: Your dad's winter setup looks a lot like my avatar.... minus the plow and clearance lights.

Shaun, I remember when we could drive on the beach from Daytona almost to St Aug

That was before Palm Coast existed.

Lots of salt spray and wet sand on the undercarriage to eat away your truck and turn your rims to pitted white dust.

These days there's not much selection for tires in the 16.5 rim size unless you're going with very large tires. even then you still don't have much selection. Back in the early '90's 16.5 was my prefered rim size on my F250's.

Yeah I liked the 16.5s myself on the F250s but in the end it was cheaper and easier to buy new wheels. One thing I do miss though is those old Cooper LTs, they were awesome all around tires. I also prefer the flat face tread to give the tire a more square proportion than the rounder newer tires.

I've been trying to convince him to repaint the new wheels similarly to the old ones but he likes the black. :nabble_smiley_sleep:

20171020_114409-1.jpg.e79b520b111fbdc3033db383686d1278.jpg