Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Truck is looking good Cory.

Black "RangerXLT" did not know they came in black?

Week or so ago I was given a red carpet from an auto truck. Buddy power washed it before I got it I then hung it up and beat the heck out of it to get a lot of dirt & sand out of it. I then used the Dyson pet vacuum on it and pulled a lot more dirt & sand out. It also rained a few times when sitting outside.

Today I beat it some more and vary little dirt & sand came out so I laid it out and washed it with a scrub brush and dish soap. A good rinse and hung it back up to drip dry.

I will not be installing it till I do the transmission swap sometime in April.

I then hit the garage and worked on cleaning the grease & dirt off the NP435 transmission.

Scraped the heavy stuff off with a putty knife then used a wire brush and air to get more of it off then a washing with some old left over gas I had from when I did the motor & transmission in the truck now.

Close up of the numbers / letters

There is a plate on the PTO side held on with 2 of the PTO bolts I forgot to get a picture of so I could find out what information it can give up.

After washing and a "VHT Rebuild" (paint job)

Note the strange shifter stick? I don't think I have seen one like it before?

The knob was glued on and I had to cut it off to get the boots off and prep it for paint. It is a pressed on knob so going to have to come up with something when the time comes.

I also think it come over to far to the left but will not know till installed in the truck.

Dave ----

The emblems didn't come in black, they were chromed, but it wears out just like the lines around the woodgrain bezels. It looks to me like the Ranger XLT emblem I just bought was brushed with black paint to hide the fading chrome.

That shifter stick is what came on the NP435 from 1980-1986. The T-18 and T-19 used the stick that you're familiar with. The NP435 stick is a different style of design for sure. It is an easy way to tell whether a truck has an NP or a BW though.

Truck is looking good Cory.

Black "RangerXLT" did not know they came in black?

Week or so ago I was given a red carpet from an auto truck. Buddy power washed it before I got it I then hung it up and beat the heck out of it to get a lot of dirt & sand out of it. I then used the Dyson pet vacuum on it and pulled a lot more dirt & sand out. It also rained a few times when sitting outside.

Today I beat it some more and vary little dirt & sand came out so I laid it out and washed it with a scrub brush and dish soap. A good rinse and hung it back up to drip dry.

I will not be installing it till I do the transmission swap sometime in April.

I then hit the garage and worked on cleaning the grease & dirt off the NP435 transmission.

Scraped the heavy stuff off with a putty knife then used a wire brush and air to get more of it off then a washing with some old left over gas I had from when I did the motor & transmission in the truck now.

Close up of the numbers / letters

There is a plate on the PTO side held on with 2 of the PTO bolts I forgot to get a picture of so I could find out what information it can give up.

After washing and a "VHT Rebuild" (paint job)

Note the strange shifter stick? I don't think I have seen one like it before?

The knob was glued on and I had to cut it off to get the boots off and prep it for paint. It is a pressed on knob so going to have to come up with something when the time comes.

I also think it come over to far to the left but will not know till installed in the truck.

Dave ----

Shaun - Got it. Thanks.

Dave - The tranny looks good. :nabble_anim_claps:

And I agree with you - I've not seen that shifter before.

The emblems didn't come in black, they were chromed, but it wears out just like the lines around the woodgrain bezels. It looks to me like the Ranger XLT emblem I just bought was brushed with black paint to hide the fading chrome.

That shifter stick is what came on the NP435 from 1980-1986. The T-18 and T-19 used the stick that you're familiar with. The NP435 stick is a different style of design for sure. It is an easy way to tell whether a truck has an NP or a BW though.

Yup, NP435 curvy stick. Can spot them a mile away.

I have one grafted on to my 5spd.

D5C1A289-DCE4-4B43-8AB8-B94F02C2F2C1.jpeg.f24dc741f8251e0947e0c0bfe92d0c47.jpeg

Yup, NP435 curvy stick. Can spot them a mile away.

I have one grafted on to my 5spd.

Here's the one I picked up for my truck in case I decide to go with an NP.

I will admit they look a little funky compared to the relatively angled transfer case shifters.

DSCN1991.jpg.e80feebd650694eb4b2f0ca6f80a6b16.jpg

Here's the one I picked up for my truck in case I decide to go with an NP.

I will admit they look a little funky compared to the relatively angled transfer case shifters.

Thanks guys today is the first time I took a closer look at the stick.

I wonder if it will clear the seat but it must if it came from an 84 truck and it was said they should fit 80-86 trucks then.

Thanks again

Dave ----

Thanks guys today is the first time I took a closer look at the stick.

I wonder if it will clear the seat but it must if it came from an 84 truck and it was said they should fit 80-86 trucks then.

Thanks again

Dave ----

The main bends in the center are what keeps it from contacting the seat. Although, I have seen cases where very worn out shifters will contact the seat.

The main bends in the center are what keeps it from contacting the seat. Although, I have seen cases where very worn out shifters will contact the seat.

Well its not as cool as what everyone else is doing but I finally got around to putting on a new brake master. Still got too much play in it but Ill sort it out. Need to do new hardware on all 4 corners some day. This was a city truck for too long but I took her on the hiway to my New Job:nabble_smiley_happy: and she ran alright. Its been a while since I drove her and I forgot how mean the pipes sound. Need to take her into a muffler shop for some real welding.

Well its not as cool as what everyone else is doing but I finally got around to putting on a new brake master. Still got too much play in it but Ill sort it out. Need to do new hardware on all 4 corners some day. This was a city truck for too long but I took her on the hiway to my New Job:nabble_smiley_happy: and she ran alright. Its been a while since I drove her and I forgot how mean the pipes sound. Need to take her into a muffler shop for some real welding.

LOL! Mean? Big Blue had glass packs, and he sounded mean - until you put a trailer with a '65 Malibu SS396 behind it. Then he sounded mad! Way too much noise. Everybody w/in a city block turned to look.

LOL! Mean? Big Blue had glass packs, and he sounded mean - until you put a trailer with a '65 Malibu SS396 behind it. Then he sounded mad! Way too much noise. Everybody w/in a city block turned to look.

Well you got to understand, my toyota is almost dead silent so with the 460 rumbling it just sounds great in comparison.

Now the Suzuki with the 1.6L my partner drives has some sort of glasspack on it but I wouldnt say that one is mean. Its like the fuel injected version of a chihuahua barking at you.

Well you got to understand, my toyota is almost dead silent so with the 460 rumbling it just sounds great in comparison.

Now the Suzuki with the 1.6L my partner drives has some sort of glasspack on it but I wouldnt say that one is mean. Its like the fuel injected version of a chihuahua barking at you.

The "fuel injected version of a chihuahua barking at you". That's funny!

I'm looking forward to the sound of one or two Magnaflows on Big Blue. Haven't decided if I want duals or a large single.