Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Yipes! Yes, I'd plug it too!

The pops or explosions should be in the exhaust as that's what that system connects to.

Correct me if I am wrong, Yes, It happens, just ask my wife. In the diagram it shows a part 9A487. Is that not the anti back fire valve that is supposed to stop it from letting backfire through the smog system?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Correct me if I am wrong, Yes, It happens, just ask my wife. In the diagram it shows a part 9A487. Is that not the anti back fire valve that is supposed to stop it from letting backfire through the smog system?

9A487 is a check valve to prevent exhaust gasses from backflowing into the rest of the Thermactor plumbing. 9B289 or 9F491 may be the problem, 9B289 is my guess at being the "dump" valve to dump the Thermactor air to atmosphere. 9F491 is probably the diverter valve or air switching valve changing the air from ports to catalytic converter.

A true anti-backfire valve went to the intake manifold to lean the mixture to the point it couldn't backfire. Most common Ford application was the Pinto 2.0/2.3L carbureted engines and it had no connection to the Thermactor system. It was a vacuum actuated bypass valve that opened under high intake vacuum to lean the mixture.

9A487 is a check valve to prevent exhaust gasses from backflowing into the rest of the Thermactor plumbing. 9B289 or 9F491 may be the problem, 9B289 is my guess at being the "dump" valve to dump the Thermactor air to atmosphere. 9F491 is probably the diverter valve or air switching valve changing the air from ports to catalytic converter.

A true anti-backfire valve went to the intake manifold to lean the mixture to the point it couldn't backfire. Most common Ford application was the Pinto 2.0/2.3L carbureted engines and it had no connection to the Thermactor system. It was a vacuum actuated bypass valve that opened under high intake vacuum to lean the mixture.

Installed some backing to my speakers. Makes a significant difference!

I did trim the foam, but didn’t get a picture of that..

476A603F-AA3B-4A44-8BCA-505B35E1D2FC.jpeg.b798a31b7e264cc9ea046d5bf8f49114.jpeg

21153F70-68AA-4A09-81A9-9BBFB12CA8C7.jpeg.8f78e93f7bc32dff147fc3ae61a6df6e.jpeg

Installed some backing to my speakers. Makes a significant difference!

I did trim the foam, but didn’t get a picture of that..

Speakers working into a huge volume don't sound good. And if the air on the back side of a speaker can leak to the front side the waves cancel to some extent, although they are frequently out of phase enough due to the delay that they muddle the sound.

So you should have clearer sound now.

Speakers working into a huge volume don't sound good. And if the air on the back side of a speaker can leak to the front side the waves cancel to some extent, although they are frequently out of phase enough due to the delay that they muddle the sound.

So you should have clearer sound now.

I have those in my Ranger (along with way more sound deadening than I need) and my stereo system is nice and clear. Can't say how much they helped, but everything sounds good so I'm glad they're in there.

I have those in my Ranger (along with way more sound deadening than I need) and my stereo system is nice and clear. Can't say how much they helped, but everything sounds good so I'm glad they're in there.

Great job!

Interesting as I noticed the other day my stereo sounds weak.

Great job!

Interesting as I noticed the other day my stereo sounds weak.

Haven't done anything on my truck yet today, but did something for our trucks. Ordered a scanner.

Heretofore I've used an all-in-one printer/scanner combo. And they work, for a while. Yesterday I tried to scan something with the HP unit that was a hand-me-down from Janey and it started and then quit. That got me to thinking about my/our needs in the shop. Basically I do not print. Maybe once a month at the most, and more likely once a year, and I can do that printing wirelessly to Janey's printer in the house. But I do scan sections of the FSM frequently.

And the scanners associated with the printers I've had have been single-sided scanners. So when I've scanned in a 60 page document by scanning 30 pages on one side and 30 pages on the other I then have to sort the pages, and that takes far longer than just doing the scans so it makes me reluctant to scan.

Today I Googled "document scanner reviews" and discovered that for not too much more than a printer I can have a dedicated scanner that scans on both sides of the page at the same time! No more merging large documents. :nabble_anim_jump:

I say all of that to say "Stand by for more FSM sections on the website!" It'll be in on Tuesday.

Haven't done anything on my truck yet today, but did something for our trucks. Ordered a scanner.

Heretofore I've used an all-in-one printer/scanner combo. And they work, for a while. Yesterday I tried to scan something with the HP unit that was a hand-me-down from Janey and it started and then quit. That got me to thinking about my/our needs in the shop. Basically I do not print. Maybe once a month at the most, and more likely once a year, and I can do that printing wirelessly to Janey's printer in the house. But I do scan sections of the FSM frequently.

And the scanners associated with the printers I've had have been single-sided scanners. So when I've scanned in a 60 page document by scanning 30 pages on one side and 30 pages on the other I then have to sort the pages, and that takes far longer than just doing the scans so it makes me reluctant to scan.

Today I Googled "document scanner reviews" and discovered that for not too much more than a printer I can have a dedicated scanner that scans on both sides of the page at the same time! No more merging large documents. :nabble_anim_jump:

I say all of that to say "Stand by for more FSM sections on the website!" It'll be in on Tuesday.

Adversity brings opportunity! 😁

Adversity brings opportunity! 😁

Went outside and started looking at the damage on my truck, took some grille parts off and fired it up and let it run, aired up the tires etc. Couldnt figure out why it wouldnt start until I realize it was in Drive. Duh!

Was walking around and realized damn dads truck looks great so I snagged a couple pics.

Snapchat-1763714031.thumb.jpg.10842db35ed84b9d0f3da999fc70660d.jpgSnapchat-118955859.thumb.jpg.da66b97a36185ae0a632c4ab0c3c2cf9.jpg

Went outside and started looking at the damage on my truck, took some grille parts off and fired it up and let it run, aired up the tires etc. Couldnt figure out why it wouldnt start until I realize it was in Drive. Duh!

Was walking around and realized damn dads truck looks great so I snagged a couple pics.

Is a Bronco a truck? If it is...

I've been working to un-convert my rear brakes from disk back to drum (no parking brake with the disks has become too much of a problem). Over the last couple of months I've been collecting parts and slowly putting things back together. Yesterday I buttoned up the passenger side and turned it around in my garage so I could work on the driver's. Today I got the driver's side backing plate on and the axle shaft reinstalled. I still need to hook up the hydraulic line and slip the drum on, but basically I'm done with the brakes now!

Next part of the project is to convert from the aftermarket vacuum assist to hydroboost. My vacuum booster quit working last summer (manual brakes will lock all four tires though), and I can't get parts for it (no idea what the booster is from). So I'm going to put together a hydroboost system with a boost unit from a Ford SuperDuty and a master cylinder from a Dodge D-150. It'll take some fabricating to get everything to go together, but once it's together any service parts will be available at any Napa or whatever (as long as I remember what vehicle to say it's for!)

DSC_0045.jpg.890e5665f69d9527cbf5bd8c1e33a9e3.jpg