Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Jim - Cool! I want pics as that may be the way I go.

As for what I did with, not to, my truck today - drove it to 16 places in "my little town", to borrow a Paul Simon phrase. I was taking the flier for the get-together around, and I got them posted in 14 of those places. But it took me almost two hours as I got into several conversations about trucks. :nabble_smiley_good:

In fact, I think I recruited someone for this forum today. DeWayne, from Skiatook Auto Parts, if you are reading this you found the right place. :nabble_anim_handshake:

However, going to 16 different places meant a lot of low-speed turns, and I noticed a repeated clunk as I was turning. Seemed like it was pretty much straight ahead of the driver, and happened as I was changing directions with the steering. Guess I need to check things out. Maybe the frame at the steering box, or a rivet, or.... Wish I knew where there was a TSB on that. :nabble_anim_confused:

It could be the crossmember rivets as outlined in the Ford TSB.

I'm not sure how much is new in the front end of that truck.

Suppose I'd check the calipers, tie rods and ball joints just for s&g if I had a lift like you.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Suppose I'd check the calipers, tie rods and ball joints just for s&g if I had a lift like you.

New = springs, bushings, shocks, tie rods, drag link, ball joints, steering box, and power steering pump. Dunno about the calipers. But I will check it out - when I can. Right now prep for the get-together, as well as web site and forum "stuff", is keeping me busy.

Jim - Cool! I want pics as that may be the way I go.

As for what I did with, not to, my truck today - drove it to 16 places in "my little town", to borrow a Paul Simon phrase. I was taking the flier for the get-together around, and I got them posted in 14 of those places. But it took me almost two hours as I got into several conversations about trucks. :nabble_smiley_good:

In fact, I think I recruited someone for this forum today. DeWayne, from Skiatook Auto Parts, if you are reading this you found the right place. :nabble_anim_handshake:

However, going to 16 different places meant a lot of low-speed turns, and I noticed a repeated clunk as I was turning. Seemed like it was pretty much straight ahead of the driver, and happened as I was changing directions with the steering. Guess I need to check things out. Maybe the frame at the steering box, or a rivet, or.... Wish I knew where there was a TSB on that. :nabble_anim_confused:

That would be me. DeWayne.

Well, I bought an egr block off spacer today.

The eBay Edelbrock still doesn't have a bid on it, with less than 2 days to go...

Washed my truck for the first time this year.

Well, I bought an egr block off spacer today.

The eBay Edelbrock still doesn't have a bid on it, with less than 2 days to go...

Washed my truck for the first time this year.

Getting geared up for the Eddy I see. Hope you get it.

As for washing trucks, that reminds me I'll have to do a bit of that before the show. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Getting geared up for the Eddy I see. Hope you get it.

As for washing trucks, that reminds me I'll have to do a bit of that before the show. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Observed!

I have been driving my son's 1984 with 4.9L engine and it was time for a fuel fill-up. As is my usual practice, I check the oil and take a quick look around the engine bay. I had driven approximately 3 miles from cold start and was surprised to see how much condensation was apparent looking at the carburetor and EGR adapter. It was like it was raining! The ambient temperature was ~75F and the humidity was not high. The engine was performing quite well and I thought to myself that this was a good example of why the engines were designed with heat going to the base of the intake manifold and to the air intake snorkel!

Observed!

I have been driving my son's 1984 with 4.9L engine and it was time for a fuel fill-up. As is my usual practice, I check the oil and take a quick look around the engine bay. I had driven approximately 3 miles from cold start and was surprised to see how much condensation was apparent looking at the carburetor and EGR adapter. It was like it was raining! The ambient temperature was ~75F and the humidity was not high. The engine was performing quite well and I thought to myself that this was a good example of why the engines were designed with heat going to the base of the intake manifold and to the air intake snorkel!

The engine wasn't yet warm, and our new page on EGR's says the EGR valve won't be open on a cold engine. So the Venturi effect was chilling the carb enough that water was condensing out of the air. Cool! Literally! That really is a good example of why heat is plumbed to the carb. Think what would happen at cooler temps.

Now, I do wonder about one of your statements though - "the humidity was not high"? I guess the reader has to know that was Alabama in August to understand that the humidity was probably 70%, which isn't high for then and there. 😅

Observed!

David, when you say the condensation was almost like it was raining, what was the moisture condensing on?

David, when you say the condensation was almost like it was raining, what was the moisture condensing on?

Jonathan, the carburetor throttle body and the EGR adapter which is between the carburetor and intake manifold [for the six banger]. Both were totally covered with condensed water and it was actually dripping.

Yes, Gary, 70% humidity is relatively low. NW Alabama can be humid, but I have lived in south Louisiana [baton Rouge] and Alabama is arid compared to there in August! :)