Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At least the package is substantially heavier (and I don't see where else it could come from)

So I hope I'm covered for next week when I have to do all this -without air, in the mud-

My tie rod ends don't seem to shift with the steering unlocked and those wheels in the air.

If I weren't scrounging, I'd replace them and the drag/center link too.

Right now I think I've got all the soft/small parts

Hub seals

Diff seals

D44 universals (3)

Pinion seal

Upper and lower ball joints

Pivot bushings

Rear of spring bushings

Front shackles and bushings

Shocks

New bolts

New rub pads for springs

Tools:

Spindle puller

Ball joint press

Jack stands

Pitman arm puller

BFH

32" breaker bar

Pickle fork

Prybars

Consumables:

Gear oil

RTV

Rags

Mineral spirits

Threadlocker

Ospho

Primer & paint

What am I missing?

What size is the pinion nut on a D44 HD?

Looks like a very thorough list, Jim. I was going to suggest a cheater, but I see you have a 32" breaker bar, which should do just fine.

What about penetrating oil? Does mineral spirits work for that? And, I like brake cleaner for getting the last bit of oil off before painting or hitting something with Ospho. How 'bout Cotter keys? They should have come with the ball joints.

You have the FSM, right?

I'll get the size of the D44HD's pinion nut after a bit.

I ended up sick all weekend so didn't get much done to the truck. I did get all the bulbs on my new gauge cluster swapped out with LEDs though. Still have to reset the odometer, reinstall the voltmeter when it comes back from being modified, and test the LEDs to make sure I have them in the right direction.

Goal this week is to find an aftermarket oil filler cap/breather that works with the stock valve covers.

That's a bummer! Hope you are well now.

On the LED's, make sure you check that they are all in correctly before putting it all back together. I like to plug the cluster in and turn the lights on before actually putting everything else in place. Usually some of them don't come on 'cause they are in backwards.

Looks like a very thorough list, Jim. I was going to suggest a cheater, but I see you have a 32" breaker bar, which should do just fine.

What about penetrating oil? Does mineral spirits work for that? And, I like brake cleaner for getting the last bit of oil off before painting or hitting something with Ospho. How 'bout Cotter keys? They should have come with the ball joints.

You have the FSM, right?

I'll get the size of the D44HD's pinion nut after a bit.

I have one of those assortments of cotter pins.

I'll be spraying everything with PB Blaster for days in advance

Mineral spirits is just for degreasing.

I used to use gasoline, but it's not the same anymore.

No, I do not have a factory service manual, and I've got nothing with an optical drive to read the CD.

I'm pretty sure I've got an impact socket for the pinion, but I want to be ABSOLUTELY sure well before I get in there.

I have one of those assortments of cotter pins.

I'll be spraying everything with PB Blaster for days in advance

Mineral spirits is just for degreasing.

I used to use gasoline, but it's not the same anymore.

No, I do not have a factory service manual, and I've got nothing with an optical drive to read the CD.

I'm pretty sure I've got an impact socket for the pinion, but I want to be ABSOLUTELY sure well before I get in there.

I'll get the pinion nut size - after the second cuppa and I'm only on the first. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Ok, for the FSM sections:

• Front Suspension: Documentation/Suspension & Steering/Front Suspension and then the Instructions tab followed by the 4wd tab.

• Front Axle: Documentation/Driveline/Axles & Differentials and then the Front Axles tab followed by the Instructions tab and then the Dana 44 tab.

I'll get the pinion nut size - after the second cuppa and I'm only on the first. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Ok, for the FSM sections:

• Front Suspension: Documentation/Suspension & Steering/Front Suspension and then the Instructions tab followed by the 4wd tab.

• Front Axle: Documentation/Driveline/Axles & Differentials and then the Front Axles tab followed by the Instructions tab and then the Dana 44 tab.

Jim - On my/Brandon’s D44HD a 1 1/8” socket slips on the pinion nut perfectly.

I got a NOS OEM breather through U-Hauls eBay storefront.

I'm hoping to find an aftermarket dress-up type to go with all the stuff I've painted. I'd like to find one that has the built-in foam/breather since I'm going to build a custom intake. Worst case I could connect the breather to one of the intake tubes If I have to go back with a stock style breather.

I got a NOS OEM breather through U-Hauls eBay storefront.

I'm hoping to find an aftermarket dress-up type to go with all the stuff I've painted. I'd like to find one that has the built-in foam/breather since I'm going to build a custom intake. Worst case I could connect the breather to one of the intake tubes If I have to go back with a stock style breather.

I rewired my fog light switch to 87A of my high beam relay.

So, now the lights will go out automagically when the high beams come on.

And since they've been just sitting there, I installed the Gas-a-Justs in the rear.

IMG_20200113_122620.thumb.jpg.66f6ed5c4306cc3b155be0c4fd8baf95.jpg

These Monroe gas magnums were clapped out.

Both had strong compression damping but one wouldn't return and the other is like a pogo stick.

Time for lunch..

I rewired my fog light switch to 87A of my high beam relay.

So, now the lights will go out automagically when the high beams come on.

And since they've been just sitting there, I installed the Gas-a-Justs in the rear.

These Monroe gas magnums were clapped out.

Both had strong compression damping but one wouldn't return and the other is like a pogo stick.

Time for lunch..

Currently in the middle of drilling holes for my RSK. Got about three left for the rear spring hanger brackets, and then I can move on to the front hanger and drill six more after measuring a few more times. I feel like I've measured this RSK at least a thousand times, I'm paranoid about the axle being off center or the truck leaning. :nabble_anim_crazy: