Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

How about re-orienting the bulbs in the housings to the correct orientation for the light pattern being produced by the bulbs? I am thinking that would be less work but that's without me seeing what you have and how the bulbs fit in the housings.

Frank, I think the lamps I used are bonded into their aluminum heat sink housings.

They're not too bright (27W, Cree)

But multiply that by eight, and you're up about 200W incandescent equivalent, each side.

Plenty bright enough to see behind you.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How about re-orienting the bulbs in the housings to the correct orientation for the light pattern being produced by the bulbs? I am thinking that would be less work but that's without me seeing what you have and how the bulbs fit in the housings.

The tractor lights I have are pretty sealed up. I don't really see how to turn the lens (which, along with possibly the reflector, is what would have to be turned to turn the pattern).

Mine seem Omni-directional...

I have some on my trailer that have an even flood pattern, so that's what I thought I was getting for my truck. But they aren't the same. And now pretty much all I find at Fleet-Farm are the trapezoidal pattern. Which isn't a problem, as long as I don't mount them horizontally...

You could mount the brackets to the bottom of the frame rails, and just stick them in the brackets upside down., so they would be right side up.

The bottom of the frame rail puts them lower and more exposed than I want, particularly considering backing into parking spots on the edges of lots in the winter where I might hit a snow bank.

My plan, that I just haven't got around to executing, is to weld up an L shaped bracket out of angle iron, use one bolt to hold the vertical leg of the L to the hole the light is currently mounted in, and mount the light to the horizontal leg. It would leave the light pretty much right where it is, but rotated 90 degrees.

And the brackets are riveted to the rubber housing, so I can't put them on upside down. But I don't think the upside down trapezoid pattern will be much worse than rightside up, and it'll be a lot better than sideways.

The tractor lights I have are pretty sealed up. I don't really see how to turn the lens (which, along with possibly the reflector, is what would have to be turned to turn the pattern).

Mine seem Omni-directional...

I have some on my trailer that have an even flood pattern, so that's what I thought I was getting for my truck. But they aren't the same. And now pretty much all I find at Fleet-Farm are the trapezoidal pattern. Which isn't a problem, as long as I don't mount them horizontally...

You could mount the brackets to the bottom of the frame rails, and just stick them in the brackets upside down., so they would be right side up.

The bottom of the frame rail puts them lower and more exposed than I want, particularly considering backing into parking spots on the edges of lots in the winter where I might hit a snow bank.

My plan, that I just haven't got around to executing, is to weld up an L shaped bracket out of angle iron, use one bolt to hold the vertical leg of the L to the hole the light is currently mounted in, and mount the light to the horizontal leg. It would leave the light pretty much right where it is, but rotated 90 degrees.

And the brackets are riveted to the rubber housing, so I can't put them on upside down. But I don't think the upside down trapezoid pattern will be much worse than rightside up, and it'll be a lot better than sideways.

Ahhh.

Mine are aluminum (heatsink) housings and sold as FLOOD ATV/Work lights.

I've put them on the Rollbacks, and they work great for illuminating the area in front and under the car you're hooking.

Wheel lifts are great, and all, but there's a lot of times you just have to drag the hulk up on deck.

Ahhh.

Mine are aluminum (heatsink) housings and sold as FLOOD ATV/Work lights.

I've put them on the Rollbacks, and they work great for illuminating the area in front and under the car you're hooking.

Wheel lifts are great, and all, but there's a lot of times you just have to drag the hulk up on deck.

I took the old Bull out for a short run today and I feel like a Junkie that just got his fix!

IMG_9539.jpg.7969e807a6ca6e021c1b61ba21cc6cc5.jpg

IMG_9541.jpg.7af209b943adf6bc8b93a732bc9d1e9f.jpg

IMG_9557.jpg.614453849f466b78a552c4ac1adc981b.jpg

Oh, and I had to wait for some ducks to cross the road a couple miles from the house. There were about 30 more of them sitting on the beach just out of site to the right!

IMG_9555.jpg.9ed622df83cfabf296fb96f197cfcf58.jpg

I took the old Bull out for a short run today and I feel like a Junkie that just got his fix!

Oh, and I had to wait for some ducks to cross the road a couple miles from the house. There were about 30 more of them sitting on the beach just out of site to the right!

What a wonderful present - your truck running well. 👍

And, such nice scenery to view while checking the truck out. Nice!

What a wonderful present - your truck running well. 👍

And, such nice scenery to view while checking the truck out. Nice!

I was hoping to get a write-up done today on my relay box wiring, but I ended up working on my brothers house while he was at work.

But I may have found where my coolant is going.

IMG_20191225_150831.thumb.jpg.93a1884d4d6b3faadd619b17ddb4a648.jpg

IMG_20191225_150841.thumb.jpg.08884f8570134267707207e88961ad08.jpg

And since I haven't posted a pic yet....

IMG_20191225_164719.thumb.jpg.83c0962fdc9319e2f3220cac8ce52fc3.jpg

I was hoping to get a write-up done today on my relay box wiring, but I ended up working on my brothers house while he was at work.

But I may have found where my coolant is going.

And since I haven't posted a pic yet....

I got another turn on the upper radiator hose clamp.

I still need to shim the lights out before I bother to aim them.

I got another turn on the upper radiator hose clamp.

I still need to shim the lights out before I bother to aim them.

Good job on those fog lights there Jim. They'll be more effective there than on top of the bumper and well protected there in the bumper than they would have been under the bumper.

Good job on those fog lights there Jim. They'll be more effective there than on top of the bumper and well protected there in the bumper than they would have been under the bumper.

I agree, Frank. The lights will be much better behind the bumper.

Jim - I first thought you have a leaking vacuum switch, but if you got a full turn on the hose clamp that's probably it. :nabble_smiley_good:

By the way, nice valve covers. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I agree, Frank. The lights will be much better behind the bumper.

Jim - I first thought you have a leaking vacuum switch, but if you got a full turn on the hose clamp that's probably it. :nabble_smiley_good:

By the way, nice valve covers. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Thank you Frank and Gary.

I blotted around under the distributor vacuum switch and the paper was dry.

I think and hope it was just the hose taken a set since I replaced it when I had to fix the timing case.