Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

The rain finally let up today so although it was muddy (and 20° colder!) I managed to swap in my power distribution box.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n45668/IMG_20191215_152025.jpg

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n45668/IMG_20191215_152040.jpg

Is your box an actual power distribution box or just a fuse and relay holder? I couldn't find something that was setup for a single power feed in and then you wire up the outputs.

I bought this one... Waterproof Fuse and Relay Box

Just have to decide how I want to do power distribution to the box now. For now, it will only have 2 fuses and 2 relays for the headlights. I'll probably just pull power from the battery side of the mega fuse after I wire in the 3g conversion until I need more connections in the future.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The rain finally let up today so although it was muddy (and 20° colder!) I managed to swap in my power distribution box.

Is your box an actual power distribution box or just a fuse and relay holder? I couldn't find something that was setup for a single power feed in and then you wire up the outputs.

Just have to decide how I want to do power distribution to the box now. For now, it will only have 2 fuses and 2 relays for the headlights. I'll probably just pull power from the battery side of the mega fuse after I wire in the 3g conversion until I need more connections in the future.

Got the rear end torn apart yesterday, my wife and son have been sick so haven't had much time to work on the truck. Pretty sure the diff fluid had never been changed. I'll be doing the axle bearings/seals, pinion seal, and adding a pipe plug to the diff for a drain while it's out. Have to take the shafts to a local shop to get the bearings swapped though. My Dad's press isn't quite big enough to pull the old ones off.

IMG_20191221_132502.jpg.f9e142d98dbfff53588513707ef2b526.jpgIMG_20191221_132509.jpg.e56017eee3c12d9c0e2c0ba37fd907f2.jpg

Got the rear end torn apart yesterday, my wife and son have been sick so haven't had much time to work on the truck. Pretty sure the diff fluid had never been changed. I'll be doing the axle bearings/seals, pinion seal, and adding a pipe plug to the diff for a drain while it's out. Have to take the shafts to a local shop to get the bearings swapped though. My Dad's press isn't quite big enough to pull the old ones off.

If that's a 9 inch diff then the retainers have to be drilled or grooved with a Dremel or somesuch until they break. That's my remembrance of what the factory shop manual says, but unfortunately I don't have that section on the site - yet. Anyway, I know that when you get them drilled or grooved far enough they POP loudly and break where you grooved or drilled. Otherwise I don't know that you can press them off w/o damaging the axle.

But if it is an 8.8" then I don't know as I haven't worked on one of those.

My box was very similar.

But it has one 40A relay.

I ran one 8ga. wire from the Megafuse to all the #30 terminals inside the box.

It seems to be working well.

My box was very similar.

But it has one 40A relay.

I ran one 8ga. wire from the Megafuse to all the #30 terminals inside the box.

It seems to be working well.

WHYDTYTT? Nada. But, thanks to David, I have ordered another brochure that I'll scan in and add to the Documentation section soon. Here's a pic thereof, but the scan should be dramatically sharper - I hope. :nabble_smiley_wink:

s-l500.jpg.aaebeb4a864117027c7144de53f53acb.jpg

WHYDTYTT? Nada. But, thanks to David, I have ordered another brochure that I'll scan in and add to the Documentation section soon. Here's a pic thereof, but the scan should be dramatically sharper - I hope. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I took my bumper off and on too many times, trying to make sure that my fog lights center up in the holes before welding the braces/brackets up.

Im dirty, cold, hungry and tired.

Time for a hot shower and dinner.

I took my bumper off and on too many times, trying to make sure that my fog lights center up in the holes before welding the braces/brackets up.

Im dirty, cold, hungry and tired.

Time for a hot shower and dinner.

I felt like doing easy stuff, today so I did some more work on this SRW that I picked up at the junkyard. It's actually in pretty nice condition now that I've got it all cleaned up. I had to drill out two of the four screws, and I took the aluminum channels to work so that I could blast them clean. Everything else I've been cleaning with Rags, tooth brushes, and Q-Tips. I think this old thing is going to work great when it's all finished. Not bad for a factory window at $35 and about 10 mins of my time to remove.

IMG_9217.jpg.8deb65515569cb66cbc5e6f00cf343f2.jpg

IMG_9530.jpg.1ed7728bea1ba1909bd36213c8ff823e.jpg

IMG_9531.jpg.5032183b19194d8fc6e858039cff8b78.jpg

I'm going to paint the aluminum frames that will be visible from the rear. I think Satin Black will look a little more natural than gloss. They're all faded now.

Question though...

There appears to be a tiny bit of tint to the glass...will that offer any help from the sun burning the back of my head?...lol. I'm thinking of getting some tint done, and now would be a good time. Problem is, I don't want the window to be too dark. Maybe I'll buy one of those little roller window shades...hmmm.

Front and rear shocks today. Easy jobs with the exception of a passenger side lower mount that had to be removed to get the bottom brushing out. The mount was pinched.

Treated the girl to Bilsteins. Ride is noticeably nicer. I'm curious to how it will handle under load.

Question though...

There appears to be a tiny bit of tint to the glass...will that offer any help from the sun burning the back of my head?...lol. I'm thinking of getting some tint done, and now would be a good time. Problem is, I don't want the window to be too dark. Maybe I'll buy one of those little roller window shades...hmmm.

Windows look like fishbowls to me, so I would say it's not enough. I would look into something around 35% VLT. I have 20% on both of my trucks, but that's in the dark range so I wouldn't recommend it in your application.

Question though...

Windows look like fishbowls to me, so I would say it's not enough. I would look into something around 35% VLT. I have 20% on both of my trucks, but that's in the dark range so I wouldn't recommend it in your application.

Today I had to replace my oil pressure sending unit. When I was finishing up yesterday, my sending unit started leaking where it is pinched together, but no problem, I had another one on my spare 300 short block. Problem there was it showed no oil pressure. The fine folks at my local AutoZone came to the rescue and ordered me a new one since they did not have one in stock. It came in today and I picked it up on my way to see my sister. She is at a local nursing home to get therapy to help her recovery from a stroke. I was short on cash right now and told them I couldn't get it until my SSA check came in so they did a price over-ride and gave me a 100% discount and told me "thanks for my business and have a merry Christmas". Now the oil pressure reads just on the beginning of the m. My old one was always pegged so it was bad, I just didn't know it until it sprung a leak.