Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Littelfuse makes Slow Blow Mega Fuses that are meant to replace a fusible link.

You can get them on Amazon.

I now see those, thanks Jim. But they have to be mounted. What I'd like to find is one in a Maxi Fuse size since I think my PDC has spare slots for them. Guess I'd better check....

In the interim, here's the fuse name chart I'm working from:

500px-Electrical_fuses2C_blade_type.png.8667f0182d281325ba54b1f991fc37ad.png

And here are the dimensions:

Fuse_Measurements.jpg.bb22dca4ad98f7b25b411525a4b232f0.jpg

And here are the ratings those fuses come in. I suppose I could determine the wire size that each fusible link ties into and pick a Maxi Fuse that would protect that size of wire.

Fuse_Ratings.jpg.c33edb701be1f882dc1cab366e327e09.jpg

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I now see those, thanks Jim. But they have to be mounted. What I'd like to find is one in a Maxi Fuse size since I think my PDC has spare slots for them. Guess I'd better check....

In the interim, here's the fuse name chart I'm working from:

And here are the dimensions:

And here are the ratings those fuses come in. I suppose I could determine the wire size that each fusible link ties into and pick a Maxi Fuse that would protect that size of wire.

I may use a Maxi fuse for my alternator wiring some time in the near future. A wire has been added in and spliced and taped to the original wiring near the starter relay. The 60 amp alternator is working GREAT for me but I want to replace it in one continuous run with a appropriately sized Maxi fuse for the 60 amp alternator and no splices. It would look much less shade tree once done. What are your thoughts on the right size Maxi fuse Gary? I think 10 gauge wire should be large enough or may use 8 gauge, thoughts? In other news, I put an aftermarket behind the seat storage tray back in my truck and built a set of speaker boxes from some left over 3/4" osb board I had left over from replacing my kitchen floor. The speaker boxes aren't going to win any design awards but will serve the purpose just fine for me. I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow after I clean up the inside of the truck.

I may use a Maxi fuse for my alternator wiring some time in the near future. A wire has been added in and spliced and taped to the original wiring near the starter relay. The 60 amp alternator is working GREAT for me but I want to replace it in one continuous run with a appropriately sized Maxi fuse for the 60 amp alternator and no splices. It would look much less shade tree once done. What are your thoughts on the right size Maxi fuse Gary? I think 10 gauge wire should be large enough or may use 8 gauge, thoughts? In other news, I put an aftermarket behind the seat storage tray back in my truck and built a set of speaker boxes from some left over 3/4" osb board I had left over from replacing my kitchen floor. The speaker boxes aren't going to win any design awards but will serve the purpose just fine for me. I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow after I clean up the inside of the truck.

Seen this on Amazon http://https://www.amazon.com/Woljay-Bolt-Down-Auto-Holder/dp/B06XGZLBYB/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=60+amp+mega+fuse+and+holder&qid=1575655839&sr=8-4 I'm thinking of something like this for my alternator wiring. It would make the wiring neater than it is right now. A small PDC may be added in the future like another member here is doing on his truck.

Seen this on Amazon http://https://www.amazon.com/Woljay-Bolt-Down-Auto-Holder/dp/B06XGZLBYB/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=60+amp+mega+fuse+and+holder&qid=1575655839&sr=8-4 I'm thinking of something like this for my alternator wiring. It would make the wiring neater than it is right now. A small PDC may be added in the future like another member here is doing on his truck.

Frank, that's very similar to the Bussman HMEG I have right now.

I was hoping to find one that attached to the side of my PDC, like the factory Ford ones do.

But I didn't want the bulky box that comes in a 3G donor Taurus, for example.

The CBBF terminal block may be just what I'm looking for! http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/public/en/bussmann/consumer/products/automotive_circuitprotectionprdandacc/automotive_fuses/Speciality_High_Amp_Fusible.html

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-5191-Terminal/dp/B0019ZBTV4/ref=pd_bxgy_200_img_2/138-6966818-4882522?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0019ZBTV4&pd_rd_r=81e12377-8364-46f8-8c50-15012f0d8c0c&pd_rd_w=M5WZ1&pd_rd_wg=jdbuE&pf_rd_p=09627863-9889-4290-b90a-5e9f86682449&pf_rd_r=4HDPH1P8WK3WE44MGX14&psc=1&refRID=4HDPH1P8WK3WE44MGX14

Gary, those are some convenient little charts. :nabble_smiley_cool:

I would not go with the wire rating of two gauges undersized to find a fuse.

The whole point of a fusible link is that it has a slow meltdown, and it has heat resistant insulation.

The whole point of a fuse is that it doesn't give time for a wires insulation to start melting (and A -or multiple- points of failure)

Slow blow fuses work for the wire size they are intended for.

Cooper, Eaton, Hubble, Littelfuse, Seimens, Somebody.... has what you want

https://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/partgroup/maxi-and-maxi-series/4487

What I'd like to find is one in a Maxi Fuse size since I think my PDC has spare slots for them. Guess I'd better check....

Be careful that the Maxi Fuse holder (socket) is rated for the fuse you use.

I don't think there's any way a slot intended for a 20A fuse is going to pass 120A without a meltdown.

I now see those, thanks Jim. But they have to be mounted. What I'd like to find is one in a Maxi Fuse size since I think my PDC has spare slots for them. Guess I'd better check....In the interim, here's the fuse name chart I'm working from:And here are the dimensions:And here are the ratings those fuses come in. I suppose I could determine the wire size that each fusible link ties into and pick a Maxi Fuse that would protect that size of wire.
New boots for the truck today. The old ones were hard and cracking. Wondering what difference the new tires will make when leaving the workshop later. Take care guys and all the best from Germany. 

Viele GrüßeJochen

image0.thumb.jpeg.e6aa8c27c2b13000d96213656eddec95.jpeg

Frank - I can't get your link to work. But if I understand correctly you are going to replace the alternator's output wire with a new wire and a Maxi fuse. In that case, this calculator says that for a 1 meter run at 60 amps an 8 gauge wire is needed for a max of a 3% voltage drop. But make sure that whatever fuse holder you get is rated to handle that much current.

Jim - Speaking of that, I'm pretty sure that the 1996 PDC has slots that originally carried pretty hefty fuses, but that's a good point and I'll check in a bit when I get to the shop. And that's a good find of the Slow Blow fuses at Digi-Key. Thanks.

As for sizing the fuse, I've thought of two approaches: First, add up the fuses the circuit is serving and use one that size. Second, gauge the wire size of the circuit and fuse for however much it can carry. I'm leaning to the latter, but maybe there's a better way? (Just heard Carly and James sing about a better way and going with the flow. Makes me :nabble_smiley_grin:)

On the charts, I'm thinking of adding them to this page: Documentation/Electrical/Circuit Protection and on the Blade Fuses tab. And I'd add the link to Digi-Key. Thoughts? Your "cool" smiley has me wondering what you were thinking.

Jochen - My vehicles always drive MUCH better with new tires. Let us know how yours does. :nabble_smiley_good:

Frank - I can't get your link to work. But if I understand correctly you are going to replace the alternator's output wire with a new wire and a Maxi fuse. In that case, this calculator says that for a 1 meter run at 60 amps an 8 gauge wire is needed for a max of a 3% voltage drop. But make sure that whatever fuse holder you get is rated to handle that much current.

Jim - Speaking of that, I'm pretty sure that the 1996 PDC has slots that originally carried pretty hefty fuses, but that's a good point and I'll check in a bit when I get to the shop. And that's a good find of the Slow Blow fuses at Digi-Key. Thanks.

As for sizing the fuse, I've thought of two approaches: First, add up the fuses the circuit is serving and use one that size. Second, gauge the wire size of the circuit and fuse for however much it can carry. I'm leaning to the latter, but maybe there's a better way? (Just heard Carly and James sing about a better way and going with the flow. Makes me :nabble_smiley_grin:)

On the charts, I'm thinking of adding them to this page: Documentation/Electrical/Circuit Protection and on the Blade Fuses tab. And I'd add the link to Digi-Key. Thoughts? Your "cool" smiley has me wondering what you were thinking.

Jochen - My vehicles always drive MUCH better with new tires. Let us know how yours does. :nabble_smiley_good:

If you read his link, or search those terms on Amazon, it's a Megafuse holder.

(He has both http and https at the front of the link)