Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

What’s PDC? Either I don’t know or bad brain flatulence!

Edit: Power Distribution Center?

Yes Dane, Power Distribution Center.

Essentially an underhood subpanel.

I pictured the one I'm using a couple of weeks ago.

It has spots for 5 cube relays and one larger 50A relay, along with 6 blade type fuses.

It's small enough to mount to the inner fender between the battery and Jack.

I intend to mount the main charge fuse to the side of it, but might need to find another style Mega Fuse (AMG) holder, or go with something else like a ANL fuse.

I'm using the Iwiss 5in1 crimper I discussed with Gary a while back.

Maybe I just need practice. (I'm getting it now! :nabble_smiley_evil:)

But I think I need to set the ratchet release point a bit tighter.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I pictured the one I'm using a couple of weeks ago.

It has spots for 5 cube relays and one larger 50A relay, along with 6 blade type fuses.

It's small enough to mount to the inner fender between the battery and Jack.

I intend to mount the main charge fuse to the side of it, but might need to find another style Mega Fuse (AMG) holder, or go with something else like a ANL fuse.

I'm using the Iwiss 5in1 crimper I discussed with Gary a while back.

Maybe I just need practice. (I'm getting it now! :nabble_smiley_evil:)

But I think I need to set the ratchet release point a bit tighter.

That sounds interesting! Good stuff!

I've been thinking of doing this exact thing for when extra power is needed. My truck being a bare bones stripper didn't have much extra anything. I've installed auxiliary fuse panels in motorcycles before for adding all of the accessories...mostly heated grips, heated vests, cruise control, GPS, etc. I hadn't looked into it much yet, but was thinking of buying one of the motorcycle or marine panels to mount under the hood.

I've also had my eye on one of those power-on-only relays that Rostra makes. That would be handy for something like carb choke power, etc. Could also be used to trigger a subpanel main relay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rostra-250-2951-SourcePWR-Plus-12V-7-5-Amp-Intelligent-Accessory-Power-Supply/123077949915?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I've been thinking of doing this exact thing for when extra power is needed. My truck being a bare bones stripper didn't have much extra anything. I've installed auxiliary fuse panels in motorcycles before for adding all of the accessories...mostly heated grips, heated vests, cruise control, GPS, etc. I hadn't looked into it much yet, but was thinking of buying one of the motorcycle or marine panels to mount under the hood.

I've also had my eye on one of those power-on-only relays that Rostra makes. That would be handy for something like carb choke power, etc. Could also be used to trigger a subpanel main relay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rostra-250-2951-SourcePWR-Plus-12V-7-5-Amp-Intelligent-Accessory-Power-Supply/123077949915?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Cory, I could certainly see the utility in that.

Mostly I have a buttload of ring terminals stacked on the hot side of my starter relay and I'd like to tidy that up.

Since the starter relay is now complete overkill with a PMGR, and I need to run another circuit for the fog lights, and want them excluded by high beams I figure why not get rid of the (once) oddball relays of my LMC headlight harness and incorporate the rest in a box?

I can also get rid of my horn relay and fuse, the inline fuse for my underhood light, etc.

Mostly I have a buttload of ring terminals stacked on the hot side of my starter relay and I'd like to tidy that up.

Since the starter relay is now complete overkill with a PMGR, and I need to run another circuit for the fog lights, and want them excluded by high beams I figure why not get rid of the (once) oddball relays of my LMC headlight harness and incorporate the rest in a box?

I can also get rid of my horn relay and fuse, the inline fuse for my underhood light, etc.

I hear ya!

I haven't really made much in the way of plans for my electrical yet, and I'm in no rush to, but I am going to need some under hood power connections, and I want them to be neat and tidy. My truck is still rockin' the original 40amp 1G alternator as well as the original starter, fender mounted relay and voltage regulator. Since the truck was such low mile and was unmolested (except for the RUST), my factory wiring is in very nice condition...so much so I'd prefer not to disturb it where/when I don't have to.

I don't mind alternator and starter upgrades to better and more modern stuff, but I don't have any plans to touch the factory fuse box and internal wiring if I don't have to. And besides...I really don't have any requirements for big power usage. I need to power a radio/head unit, which the truck was already wired for, and other than that possibly an aftermarket AC system, and upgraded headlights, etc. Maybe a couple dedicated charging outlets in the cab....and I should be able to use the cigarette lighter wiring for that if necessary (my truck did not come with one, but the wiring IS there for it).

I used a Fuzeblock FZ-1 on my last two motorcycles, and I found it to be very handy.

https://www.fuzeblocks.com/

It has 12vdc pos/neg, as well as an accessory "on" trigger for the 30 amp main relay. It's compact and tidy and will fit anywhere on a Bullnose. The circuits can be 12v constant or switched, depending on where you put the fuse.

Jim - Glad you finally got it. :nabble_anim_blbl:

But, don't miss my question about changing out to Bosch relays. Do they just plug in to replace the Ford ones? (If you have already answered, please point me to it.)

And, what relay are you going to use to replace the big, antiquated, starter relay?

Cory - There are a myriad of different PDC's in various Ford products in the salvage. Some quite small. And several of those have a megafuse mounted on them. So one of those would make the 3G swap easier as you can mount the PDC to the inner fender by the alternator and run the output right to it. Then use the fuses and relays inside to run the headlights and the choke. No need to change the rest of the truck's wiring.

Jim - Glad you finally got it. :nabble_anim_blbl:

But, don't miss my question about changing out to Bosch relays. Do they just plug in to replace the Ford ones? (If you have already answered, please point me to it.)

And, what relay are you going to use to replace the big, antiquated, starter relay?

Cory - There are a myriad of different PDC's in various Ford products in the salvage. Some quite small. And several of those have a megafuse mounted on them. So one of those would make the 3G swap easier as you can mount the PDC to the inner fender by the alternator and run the output right to it. Then use the fuses and relays inside to run the headlights and the choke. No need to change the rest of the truck's wiring.

Gary,

I'm not using a Ford box, just a cheap Chinese piece from eBay.

It comes with five Ruike brand relays and they fit the Bosch pattern.

If one dies I'll replace with one of my silver contact Hella spares.

The 50A relay has larger spades and a 2x2 leg pattern (no NC 87a terminal)

That should be fine for the 40A pull and 13A hold of my PMGR starter.

Gary,

I'm not using a Ford box, just a cheap Chinese piece from eBay.

It comes with five Ruike brand relays and they fit the Bosch pattern.

If one dies I'll replace with one of my silver contact Hella spares.

The 50A relay has larger spades and a 2x2 leg pattern (no NC 87a terminal)

That should be fine for the 40A pull and 13A hold of my PMGR starter.

Jim - That makes sense. Now I understand. Thanks.