Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

I had to make good use of the nice weather today so I ventured out for a junkyard crawl, and ended up grabbing a sliding rear window out of a 1996 F150 4x4. It's about the best one I've found so far, and it's the OEM Ford window as well, so that's a bonus (It fits well).

With a little cleaning up it should look and work OK for what I'm doing (and for the $35 bucks it cost me).

IMG_9212.jpg.aa840d312a72049ad7234526508bdc0d.jpg

IMG_9211.jpg.dd57db88c34fe9ad30e7dff9fe74e2d2.jpg

IMG_9217.jpg.7e37bf9e10037467531ebf797557084d.jpg

IMG_9219.jpg.54a330a9ca98fa1433946d22b34dbbb7.jpg

From the little bit I've read, the 1995-1996 sliding rear window had a much better latch than the previous versions? This one is still intact after 23 years, so I guess that says something.

Anyway, I have all winter to get it cleaned up.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had to make good use of the nice weather today so I ventured out for a junkyard crawl, and ended up grabbing a sliding rear window out of a 1996 F150 4x4. It's about the best one I've found so far, and it's the OEM Ford window as well, so that's a bonus (It fits well).

With a little cleaning up it should look and work OK for what I'm doing (and for the $35 bucks it cost me).

From the little bit I've read, the 1995-1996 sliding rear window had a much better latch than the previous versions? This one is still intact after 23 years, so I guess that says something.

Jim - You are a busy guy. :nabble_smiley_good:

Cory - Good score! What are you going to do to "clean it up"?

I've already disassembled the window. The aluminum channels are a bit corroded and the seals and guides are all dirty and gunked up. Just going to clean and paint everything individually, and reassemble it.

I've already disassembled the window. The aluminum channels are a bit corroded and the seals and guides are all dirty and gunked up. Just going to clean and paint everything individually, and reassemble it.

I would love to find the silver aluminum frame style slider for my F350, but the issue of having to replace all of the seals and felts in the channels turns me away from that idea. I'll just keep he solid window and opt for the chrome insert.

I would love to find the silver aluminum frame style slider for my F350, but the issue of having to replace all of the seals and felts in the channels turns me away from that idea. I'll just keep he solid window and opt for the chrome insert.

Where can you buy the channel seals and felts?

Jim - You are a busy guy. :nabble_smiley_good:

I was!

Got new studs for the heatshield, painted it up bbq aluminum, pulled some more broken corral fence sections to the scrap pile while that dried, finished welding up the guardrail as it got dark, touched up the paint by headlight, pulled the cluster (again! :nabble_smiley_thinking:) found nothing, put it back and Ta Da, the indicator lights are back! :nabble_anim_confused:

Ill add pics when I get to WiFi...Edit:

IMG_20191117_102119.thumb.jpg.81a153f4aeea6bb658b252aeb6e31da3.jpg

IMG_20191117_133317.thumb.jpg.f2d2cf4e3a945a79550c54c0ad92301e.jpg

And a picture for Gary of where my perch says 7.5/460 only

IMG_20191117_154034.thumb.jpg.ace3c2fd32a2b43d5d889fb117ed2bd0.jpg

I was!

Got new studs for the heatshield, painted it up bbq aluminum, pulled some more broken corral fence sections to the scrap pile while that dried, finished welding up the guardrail as it got dark, touched up the paint by headlight, pulled the cluster (again! :nabble_smiley_thinking:) found nothing, put it back and Ta Da, the indicator lights are back! :nabble_anim_confused:

Ill add pics when I get to WiFi...Edit:

And a picture for Gary of where my perch says 7.5/460 only

Well done! BBQ silver should reflect the heat well.

So, what did you think was keeping the indicator lights from working? Are they going to fail due to that again?

As for the perch, I particularly like the 7.5L/460 perches since they use two studs and can keep the engine in place w/o having to hold it up w/a jack. Should make installing a transmission easier.

Yes they do, beasts are stiff enough that installing the E4OD in Darth wasn't too difficult, worst part was the pan configuration wanted to roll on my transmission jack. Once I got it on my guide pins it went together easily.

Yes they do, beasts are stiff enough that installing the E4OD in Darth wasn't too difficult, worst part was the pan configuration wanted to roll on my transmission jack. Once I got it on my guide pins it went together easily.

My tranny jack has a really small plate on it and that causes problems, so I usually add a piece of plywood to increase the area and spread the load out. Then I strap the tranny to the jack. But it is a delicate operation.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n43809/IMG_9212.jpg

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n43809/IMG_9211.jpg

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n43809/IMG_9217.jpg

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n43809/IMG_9219.jpg

That bumper though... piece of art work there.