Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Dug into some shifting problems I have been having. It started by being cranky going into reverse and has now progressed to be very difficult to get into first and second. Inspected the clutch master and slave cylinders. The master is leaking fluid, but the slave appears to be fine. I’m assuming this means the master cylinder must be the problem. I tried just topping off the fluid, to no effect. Any tips on troubleshooting this?

P.S. I found a bulletin somewhere about the firewall giving some problems, I check this and it appears the previous owner installed the bracket to fix that.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dug into some shifting problems I have been having. It started by being cranky going into reverse and has now progressed to be very difficult to get into first and second. Inspected the clutch master and slave cylinders. The master is leaking fluid, but the slave appears to be fine. I’m assuming this means the master cylinder must be the problem. I tried just topping off the fluid, to no effect. Any tips on troubleshooting this?

P.S. I found a bulletin somewhere about the firewall giving some problems, I check this and it appears the previous owner installed the bracket to fix that.

Another thing to check for is the plastic bushing where the master push rod connects to the pedal linkage.

If this white four finger bushing is bad or worn through it will cause all kinds of shift problems

Another thing to check for is the plastic bushing where the master push rod connects to the pedal linkage.

If this white four finger bushing is bad or worn through it will cause all kinds of shift problems

Yes, if the master is leaking then it is failing and needs to be replaced. And if the fluid got low enough to allow air in then you'll have problems even if you've refilled the master.

And heed Jim's suggestion as well.

Just to prove I actually did something to my truck today...

Took photos? :nabble_anim_confused:

ok wiseguy..... I know where you live. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

I swapped out my ignition switch, cleaned and lubed the rack behind the key cylinder, moved my bluetooth microphone up to my sun visor, pulled the cluster looking for why I don't have a brake warning lamp, changed all the bulbs, tapped the fuse panel and wired up the switch for my new fog lights and ran that wire into the engine bay. (I have to figure out the wattage before I decide how, where and what relay to get.

I had an annoying exhaust leak at the right side collector. (ask Gary about the fun trying to get that tight if you have a Zf-5 and haven't pulled the stud for an Allen bolt). The little welder was to turn the stainless clamp into a head pipe hanger.

So, all in all a productive afternoon.

I guess I need to address the bumper and rocker this weekend.

Sam, also be mindful that there is a black rubber boot inside the clutch master.

Some people don't notice and inadvertently fill on top of it, and that doesn't help at all.

Sam, also be mindful that there is a black rubber boot inside the clutch master.

Some people don't notice and inadvertently fill on top of it, and that doesn't help at all.

Jim - You really were productive! Well done.

As for the rubber boot, that was exactly the situation when I got Big Blue. The real level was so low the system had sucked air in and the clutch quit working.

And you are right about the bolt.

Jim - You really were productive! Well done.

As for the rubber boot, that was exactly the situation when I got Big Blue. The real level was so low the system had sucked air in and the clutch quit working.

And you are right about the bolt.

You didn't rib me for using antiseize???

You're slipping Gary! :nabble_anim_blbl:

Haha, “some people” definitely describes me! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: I thought it looked like a strange design inside there, I will pull that out and check the true level in the morning. Maybe actually filling it will make it driveable till my new master cylinder comes in the mail! Thank you for your help!

Frank - I like the wagon wheels. Dad's truck came with them, but only 6" wide. The wider ones are harder to find, but worth the wait. Good luck!

Jim - If I remember correctly the way to check the pattern is to mark/blue the tip of the valve stem and the rocker, assemble, and then turn the engine over a couple of turns and read the shiny spots. Right?

On the cold, I can't imagine what it is up there. Its way too cold to be doing much out down here, and we are much farther south.

The 6" wagon wheels will be just right for me but the 7" wheels would work as well I just don't want to end up with the 8" wagon wheels which would be uncommon and unwanted for my purposes. Gary, when you get that engine running a video of it's idle would be nice to hear. It should sound great and be a good runner.