Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

You have refurb heads and new lifters and (going to) have new pushrods.

The valve tips and new pushrods will marry into used rockers, but there's no reason to keep them sorted if they only contact new parts

Jim - What I was worried about was keeping the rockers and the rocker arms together as pairs. The illustration below shows what I'm talking about.

Fortunately I just checked and I did keep them together! I'm running them through the parts washer now and will have them ready for the build.

460_Rocker_Arms.thumb.jpg.990ee83ec9f1916adceb990a09e3e83f.jpg

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Frank, are you only interested in Ultra type62's ?

If not, what style of rim are you looking for?

As for what I did *for* my truck today, parts keep rolling in, in dribs and drabs.

Fog lights, a new eBay bumper and a Tabco rocker panel were waiting yesterday....

My postman and UPS driver must hate me! 😆

So, I need some trim clips and a pair of front universals, and I need to rummage through my parts stash and lay everything out.

Gary, I'm interested in the balljoint adapters you've made. Will check on that.

Also a piece of windshield trim arrived from Podunk. Thanks Gary! :nabble_anim_handshake:

Winter is definitely coming. (Forcast a dusting today) and this time change is killing any work I can get done after work. Ill be starting in the dark and getting home in the dark for the next couple of months. 😵

Today I got my timing light out and checked and set my timing. It was actualy a little past TDC. I set it back to 6* BTDC and gave my idle a slight adjustment. After replacing the starter relay yesterday and the adjustments today, it starts much better and easier now. ArdWrknTrk, I didn't see your response till tonight but I am not hooked on staying with the Ultra 62's but I am looking for a set of the styled steel 8 spoke rims, I call them wagon wheels like the Crager nomads I's but a factory wheel. There are several in my area and when my money gets right, I'll get some so I can go back to 235/75 15's. they'll be cheaper and easier to find but there's no rush as three of my tires still have greater than 50% tread left.

Jim - What I was worried about was keeping the rockers and the rocker arms together as pairs. The illustration below shows what I'm talking about.

Fortunately I just checked and I did keep them together! I'm running them through the parts washer now and will have them ready for the build.

Gary, one thing you might want to check along with pushrod length is the scrub pattern on the valve tip.

I know that Scott built the shortblock and Eric tidied up and and assembled the heads, so I'm not doubting...

But I've seen more that my share of (and assembled a few) bitsa engines where rocker geometry needed to be corrected because the rocker was riding way to the edge.

This isn't a monster cam, so I don't expect any issue, but better to check than lose a retainer during cam break in or mushroom the tip to where you have to grind in order to get the valve out of the guide.

Today I got my timing light out and checked and set my timing. It was actualy a little past TDC. I set it back to 6* BTDC and gave my idle a slight adjustment. After replacing the starter relay yesterday and the adjustments today, it starts much better and easier now. ArdWrknTrk, I didn't see your response till tonight but I am not hooked on staying with the Ultra 62's but I am looking for a set of the styled steel 8 spoke rims, I call them wagon wheels like the Crager nomads I's but a factory wheel. There are several in my area and when my money gets right, I'll get some so I can go back to 235/75 15's. they'll be cheaper and easier to find but there's no rush as three of my tires still have greater than 50% tread left.

Frank, I had a set of those on my '77.

Definitely a cool look and a nice period correct touch! :nabble_smiley_good:

Glad you got your timing sorted and the truck is starting easier now.

Frank, I had a set of those on my '77.

Definitely a cool look and a nice period correct touch! :nabble_smiley_good:

Glad you got your timing sorted and the truck is starting easier now.

I determined this morning that my brake indicator light is burntttt out.

looking to replace it with an LED lamp so I don't have to go through this again.

Switch placement is particularly difficult for my cold and arthritic hands.

At least it is clean lubed, and testted to function

I determined this morning that my brake indicator light is burntttt out.

looking to replace it with an LED lamp so I don't have to go through this again.

Switch placement is particularly difficult for my cold and arthritic hands.

At least it is clean lubed, and testted to function

Frank - I like the wagon wheels. Dad's truck came with them, but only 6" wide. The wider ones are harder to find, but worth the wait. Good luck!

Jim - If I remember correctly the way to check the pattern is to mark/blue the tip of the valve stem and the rocker, assemble, and then turn the engine over a couple of turns and read the shiny spots. Right?

On the cold, I can't imagine what it is up there. Its way too cold to be doing much out down here, and we are much farther south.

Frank - I like the wagon wheels. Dad's truck came with them, but only 6" wide. The wider ones are harder to find, but worth the wait. Good luck!

Jim - If I remember correctly the way to check the pattern is to mark/blue the tip of the valve stem and the rocker, assemble, and then turn the engine over a couple of turns and read the shiny spots. Right?

On the cold, I can't imagine what it is up there. Its way too cold to be doing much out down here, and we are much farther south.

It's not too cold, i'm used to it

But my hands are stiff from having been broken so many times.

That works with conventional rockers.

Rollers you ink like a surface plate or gear set

It's not too cold, i'm used to it

But my hands are stiff from having been broken so many times.

That works with conventional rockers.

Rollers you ink like a surface plate or gear set

We aren't used to the cold, yet. Happened way too early this year. And that's just in the house! Don't want to think about working outside. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I haven't broken my hands, nor anything else but my heel, but I have abused them and they are starting to tell me about it. So broken hands and cold weather don't sound like fun.

On the rockers & rollers, that makes sense. I have the conventional rockers - Bill has the rollers. :nabble_smiley_wink:

We aren't used to the cold, yet. Happened way too early this year. And that's just in the house! Don't want to think about working outside. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I haven't broken my hands, nor anything else but my heel, but I have abused them and they are starting to tell me about it. So broken hands and cold weather don't sound like fun.

On the rockers & rollers, that makes sense. I have the conventional rockers - Bill has the rollers. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Just to prove I actually did something to my truck today...

IMG_20191114_135146.thumb.jpg.d93a00ea0e8af6f0272d7dfcf50b96ee.jpg

IMG_20191114_135206.thumb.jpg.4f4ae44b135d18feb6058f4788511930.jpg