Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

My name is Gary, and I have a problem. Every once in a while I can go for up to two weeks at a time w/o working on my truck, but then the vacation/cruise/Christmas visit is over and there I am again, "upgrading" something. :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

Let's walk it back.... to where 'Dads Truck is a timeless memorial but a more pragmatic and expedient approach is needed for Big Blue'

Where there's only room in the Garagemahal for one One Hoss Shay, and only one lifetime in which to accomplish it.

I mean, I get it.

I even had a discussion about OCD.

And that person is admitting they can't help themselves, that their new project -which they promised themselves would be less CDO- is getting out of hand.

Gary, I'm truly amazed at your energy and accomplishment.

At your pursuit of having things 'just right' and your considerations for future proofing, but as long as we have oxygen to breathe and electrolytes for our neurons to function, all that we have 'won' from this earth is going to return to this earth.

Even if you remade every fastener in titanium, and plated the rest in gold, it is not forever.

You accept that your Lord is the only thing perfect and immortal.

Is this approach not a challenge to that belief?

Build this thing up and care for it as I know you will.

Go back to creating a shrine with the maroon one.

None of this is criticism, just observation and advise from a friend.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seriously, I don't want Big Blue to be a trailer queen! But, maybe it is ok for the engine to be pretty?

That's how my truck was last year. All ratty and grungy looking, rotten boards, blotchy and lumpy, but with a shiny rebuilt and freshly painted engine bay...lol.

Seriously, I don't want Big Blue to be a trailer queen! But, maybe it is ok for the engine to be pretty?

That's how my truck was last year. All ratty and grungy looking, rotten boards, blotchy and lumpy, but with a shiny rebuilt and freshly painted engine bay...lol.

I'm not saying that BB should ever be ratty or neglected, but for a vehicle who's stated purpose is bushwhacking to the back of beyond (with a driver who can't drive stick!?!) this level of cosmetic detail is completely Over The Top!

I'm not saying that BB should ever be ratty or neglected, but for a vehicle who's stated purpose is bushwhacking to the back of beyond (with a driver who can't drive stick!?!) this level of cosmetic detail is completely Over The Top!

Cory - Yep, that pretty much describes Big Blue: a heart of gold and a rough exterior. But the exterior may get abused a bit going to the back of beyond, so it'll stay the way it is for now.

Jim - I know in my heart you are right, but I've spent so much time awa money on this engine (and the front suspension) that I want it to look good. And I think I'm just about "there" with the parts to be PC'd. I still have the valve covers, which I may get to today. And perhaps another bracket or two, but I'm ready to start assembling when the head bolts come in.

Which brings me to the assembly order. Scott already has the lifters in so has cautioned me not to roll the engine over on the stand until I get the heads on. So here's my thinking:

1. Install heads

2. Install lower plenum

3. Determine the needed push rod length and get them on order from Scott if needed, and he thinks different length rods, or rocker shims, will be needed since the block has been decked and the heads shaved.

4. While awaiting the push rods or shims roll the engine over and install the pan. (The heads should hold the lifters, right?)

5. Install timing cover and water pump

6. Paint block

7. Install push rods/shims

8. Install valve covers

Does this seem a reasonable order? What am I missing?

Cory - Yep, that pretty much describes Big Blue: a heart of gold and a rough exterior. But the exterior may get abused a bit going to the back of beyond, so it'll stay the way it is for now.

Jim - I know in my heart you are right, but I've spent so much time awa money on this engine (and the front suspension) that I want it to look good. And I think I'm just about "there" with the parts to be PC'd. I still have the valve covers, which I may get to today. And perhaps another bracket or two, but I'm ready to start assembling when the head bolts come in.

Which brings me to the assembly order. Scott already has the lifters in so has cautioned me not to roll the engine over on the stand until I get the heads on. So here's my thinking:

1. Install heads

2. Install lower plenum

3. Determine the needed push rod length and get them on order from Scott if needed, and he thinks different length rods, or rocker shims, will be needed since the block has been decked and the heads shaved.

4. While awaiting the push rods or shims roll the engine over and install the pan. (The heads should hold the lifters, right?)

5. Install timing cover and water pump

6. Paint block

7. Install push rods/shims

8. Install valve covers

Does this seem a reasonable order? What am I missing?

If I were painting the block only, and not the heads (long, or short block?) I think I would paint before bolting the heads on.

I think I would use the old pushrods, with the rockers only snug enough to hold the lifters at the bottom of their bores until the new ones arrive.

If I were painting the block only, and not the heads (long, or short block?) I think I would paint before bolting the heads on.

I think I would use the old pushrods, with the rockers only snug enough to hold the lifters at the bottom of their bores until the new ones arrive.

I'm painting the heads and the block. And maybe the pan, which is black and in good shape but could be better. Or I may leave the old pan on that Scott sent with the short block, and paint it that way and then install the better pan. Haven't decided. So, blue or black pan?

As for the old push rods, that would work. But, I had a middle-of-the-night thought - did I keep the parts together as I took them off of Huck's engine? I may have just dropped them all into a bag as I didn't expect to use them. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I'm painting the heads and the block. And maybe the pan, which is black and in good shape but could be better. Or I may leave the old pan on that Scott sent with the short block, and paint it that way and then install the better pan. Haven't decided. So, blue or black pan?

As for the old push rods, that would work. But, I had a middle-of-the-night thought - did I keep the parts together as I took them off of Huck's engine? I may have just dropped them all into a bag as I didn't expect to use them. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Who cares?

You're not running the truck in with the old pushrods, just installing to keep the lifters at the bottom of their bores.

You're obsessed Gary! :nabble_smiley_good:

That's being kind, Jim. Crazy might be closer.

Somebody's father would have replied, "if that was meant as a compliment, then I thank you!"

David - I suppose you are right. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Jim - I’ll show my ignorance, but are 460 rockers like others that are two part and the parts should be kept together?

David - I suppose you are right. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Jim - I’ll show my ignorance, but are 460 rockers like others that are two part and the parts should be kept together?

You have refurb heads and new lifters and (going to) have new pushrods.

The valve tips and new pushrods will marry into used rockers, but there's no reason to keep them sorted if they only contact new parts