Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

I took the old Blue Mule to work today! Only 3 degrees C outside this morning (37.4F)! I tell ya, what the old truck lacks in air conditioning, it makes up for it with the heater, and it's not even the HO heater! I can't imagine running it full blast. However, it was a little warmer in my garage (10C/50F)...but one of my lifters sure didn't like that cold temperature...it tapped for way longer than I'd like it to, but it did eventually quiet right down, and the truck purred like a kitten on the commute.

Sitting outside my office in the fog.:nabble_smiley_grin:

Going to try a little vacuum leak troubleshooting at work today (on my breaks, of course...lol).

It sure looks GOOD! :nabble_smiley_good:

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was gritting my teeth staring at the oil pressure gauge while I listened to that defiant lifter that sounded like it wanted to leave the truck! Ugh I hate that.

I adjusted the choke the other day and really just stuck it in a random position, and low and behold it works almost perfectly where it is now. I swear I could not have set it that good if I actually attempted to make it work that good.

Still, need to investigate the vacuum issue. Going to try some map gas around the carb today.

I was gritting my teeth staring at the oil pressure gauge while I listened to that defiant lifter that sounded like it wanted to leave the truck! Ugh I hate that.

I adjusted the choke the other day and really just stuck it in a random position, and low and behold it works almost perfectly where it is now. I swear I could not have set it that good if I actually attempted to make it work that good.

Still, need to investigate the vacuum issue. Going to try some map gas around the carb today.

Try the gas around the base of the carb awa the manifold/head interface.

Cory, your truck makes the rest of us envious! :nabble_smiley_beam:

Have you tried using a cigar to help with vacuum leaks? :nabble_smiley_whistling:

I imagine you are using 10W30? Dino or synthetic?

David,

I tried MAP gas today and no dice! Haven't tried the cigar trick!:nabble_smiley_grin:

I'm running Mobil 1 "TDT" Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 in it currently. I had a Volkswagen with a BRM engine that was well known for eating flat tappet camshafts. There was a lot of testing done and this Mobil 1 TDT was determined to be one of the best oils to offer protection, so I decided to give it a try. I wanted the 40w to try and quiet the engine down a little...it's a noisy beast that I'm not used to. In any case, it clearly doesn't like the cold that much in my little 302 V8.:nabble_smiley_happy:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-5W-40-Turbo-Diesel-Truck-Motor-Oil-1-gal/17128879

Maybe I'll switch back to the Valvoline VR1 10w30. We'll see.

Have you tried using a cigar to help with vacuum leaks? :nabble_smiley_whistling:

David,

I tried MAP gas today and no dice! Haven't tried the cigar trick!:nabble_smiley_grin:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Vacuum+leak+Scotty+Kilmer+cigar&view=detail&mid=860BB6E212A5D42D4A9E860BB6E212A5D42D4A9E&FORM=VIRE

David,

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Vacuum+leak+Scotty+Kilmer+cigar&view=detail&mid=860BB6E212A5D42D4A9E860BB6E212A5D42D4A9E&FORM=VIRE

I smashed a stone wall, crunching my front bumper.

I also stuck the new door pocket on without bothering to strip the carpet, or Color Coating it.

Seems a great place to keep my estimate pad and a tape measure. 👍

I smashed a stone wall, crunching my front bumper.

I also stuck the new door pocket on without bothering to strip the carpet, or Color Coating it.

Seems a great place to keep my estimate pad and a tape measure. 👍

That front bumper has been treated poorly. What are you going to do now?

As for the door pocket, the carpet will keep the tape measure quieter. And the estimate pad won't care about color.

That front bumper has been treated poorly. What are you going to do now?

As for the door pocket, the carpet will keep the tape measure quieter. And the estimate pad won't care about color.

Buy another Chinese tinfoil bumper and slap it on.

Both times it has been a low stone wall that I could not see from the driver's seat.